Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Size of the Sleeve

It sounds like there is a variety of ways people respond to the sleeve in terms of what they can eat, So there is a gamble in that sense.

I had the VBG 12 years ago and could not eat healthy foods. The opening was the size of a dime and the pouch was the size of an egg, so I was very restricted in how much and what types of food.I could eat.....after 10 years the opening got blocked and I had to have surgery to remove half the band...the back half is still in place. Now, I can eat anything, the size is still restricted because of the stapling that had been done so it sort of sounds like it is comparable to the sleeve but I also gained the weight back. I am trying to determine if havign the sleeve done will be worth it....if it will restrict the amount I can eat more than I am restricted now.

So Does anyone know the diameter of the sleeve?

From what I have been reading it seems lots of people have had problems digesting certain foods or feeling full and uncomfortable. From the diagrams of the sleeve it looks a lot bigger around than the size of a dime yet people describe their experiences which sound exactly like what I went throgh with the VBG. The pouch was the size of an egg and the opening was the size of a dime.....but with the sleeve it is the whole length of the stomach, so I am puzzled when people say their sleeve feels full or they feel uncomfortable with what they have eaten because the sleeze looks a lot bigger than the pouch was.....I hope I explained that clearly enough for people to understand...... Any thoughts?

Hmmm...if I remember the anatomy of the stomach correctly, the top portion that was left the size of an egg is the stretchy part of the stomach (fundus). With the sleeve, the fundus is removed so there is no stretchy part. If there is no stretching and too much food is eaten, then the feeling of discomfort occurs. With the sleeve approximately 85% of the stomach is removed, leaving 15% shaped like a banana. The actual diameter is based on the bougie size and how the surgeon performed the surgery. Some make it a tight fit according to the bougie, some oversew it which makes it smaller than the bougie size, and some even staple along the bougie loosely making the sleeve larger than the bougie size.

Hopefully this helps....and if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in.

With the sleeve when you get to solid food you do get full. You feel restriction with a couple of ozs of food. As long as you do not drink 30 minutes before or30 after and definetly not during a meal. It works very well for me. I am 4 months post op and down 59 lbs. I am very satisfied so far. I looked into the band years ago and am glad I passed it up. Many have so many problems with it.

The sleeve is the same diameter -- or maybe a little bigger -- than the diameter of your esophagus. After having a VSG done, your new sleeve stomach is similar in size and shape to a banana.< /p>

I'm curious (being totally serious) - how do you gain weight back when your pouch is the size of an egg. I mean what do you have to eat to physically to make that happen?

VBG disadvantages Needs strict patient compliance to diet. High fibre foods and foods with a more dense, natural consistency can become very difficult to eat, while highly refined foods cause little discomfort. Most people who regain any weight lost after surgery do so because choosing "healthier" foods are harder to digest, while "junk" food pass easily.

They do not call them slider foods for nothing, they slide right down with ease, but they give you too many calories. If I may suggest going to those Protein Shakes, health shakes to fill up on before you reach for the sliders. I have been concerned to for ice cream works wonderful but i have yet to find a low calorie, sugar free tasty ice cream. So I noticed the scale stopped going down, and decided to go back to my health shakes and just experiment with soft healthy foods.

The sleeve can be done with an approximate 1-2 ounce pouch or with a 5-8 depending on the surgeon.

After reading up on this VBG surgery it sounds very risky to try and revise to another surgery. I would be very cautious to do so. The VBG surgery as I read needed to be followed pretty strictly to be successful. To be successful with the sleeve the same really needs to happen. Good Luck with your decision.

TO VSGKIRK: Regaining the weight occurred AFTER the pouch got blocked and he had to remove the band..... so the opening was much larger......so after feeling like I had starved for 10 years, within a year and a few months I gained weight back. I just dont want to be in a position again where I CANT eat healthy food which was the case with the VBG.

It sounds like there is a variety of ways people respond to the sleeve in terms of what they can eat' date=' So there is a gamble in that sense.

I had the VBG 12 years ago and could not eat healthy foods. The opening was the size of a dime and the pouch was the size of an egg, so I was very restricted in how much and what types of food.I could eat.....after 10 years the opening got blocked and I had to have surgery to remove half the band...the back half is still in place. Now, I can eat anything, the size is still restricted because of the stapling that had been done so it sort of sounds like it is comparable to the sleeve but I also gained the weight back. I am trying to determine if havign the sleeve done will be worth it....if it will restrict the amount I can eat more than I am restricted now.

So Does anyone know the diameter of the sleeve?

From what I have been reading it seems lots of people have had problems digesting certain foods or feeling full and uncomfortable. From the diagrams of the sleeve it looks a lot bigger around than the size of a dime yet people describe their experiences which sound exactly like what I went throgh with the VBG. The pouch was the size of an egg and the opening was the size of a dime.....but with the sleeve it is the whole length of the stomach, so I am puzzled when people say their sleeve feels full or they feel uncomfortable with what they have eaten because the sleeze looks a lot bigger than the pouch was.....I hope I explained that clearly enough for people to understand...... Any thoughts?[/quote']

I haven't been sleeved yet but what I was told in regards to how the sleeve works is think of your banana sized stomach as a sink when you fill it up it takes a while for it to drain. The food is stacked in your tummy which is why people report fullness and feeling of the food in their chest area. Even though the amount of food you eat will still be restricted we still have to make the right choices of food we eat. So garbage in, garbage out. If you put garbage in don't expect much weight loss Hopefully this helps.

To ISLEEVED IT..............What is the bougie?

I know you asked Isleevedit this question but I figured I would answer it since no has yet. Its a tube used you shape your sleeve. While you're under, the surgeon will slide a tube (bougie) down your throat to shape your new stomach. The most commonly used sizes 32,34,36,40 and even 50 french sized bougies. My surgeon told me he would use 36 sized on me to lesson the side effect of GERD

I know you asked Isleevedit this question but I figured I would answer it since no has yet. Its a tube used you shape your sleeve. While you're under' date=' the surgeon will slide a tube (bougie) down your throat to shape your new stomach. The most commonly used sizes 32,34,36,40 and even 50 french sized bougies. My surgeon told me he would use 36 sized on me to lesson the side effect of GERD[/quote']

Oops meant to say " lessen" :)

To: Wannabehealthy2: Thank you that does help! I need to be very careful about this decision....I never want to go back to being unable to eat healthy foods...

And thank you for explaining what a bougie is....after I posted the question, it occurred to me to look it up...duh!