Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone lost there hair?

I'm only a month out and know some people lose there hair, which I'm terrified of happening to me.

I have really long thick hair and the thought of having to cut it off makes me sad and my husband, but I really don't wanna walk around with scraggly hair all thin either. If anyone has lost there hair was it a lot? Did the thinning process last very long?

your not going to go bald, or have to cut your hair. If you have really thick hair you will probably only notice that more hair comes out in the shower than usual, and your hair may feel thinner as in, you have to wrap the band around it 3 times instead of 2. honestly i lost more hair when i was prego than i have so far from the surgery.

I have long thick hair also (which I used to pay to have thinned out). I thought I got away with the loosing of hair, but 5 months out it started! It's significant but like the other poster said, you won't have to cut your hair....I notice it because its everywhere, but I really don't see or feel a difference in my hair.

I am 4 months out and I have noticed an increase of lost hair when I towel it off in the morning after my shower. I notice a little more hair I have to pick off of black shirts. It is nothing major though. I think if you have thick hair you will probably be fine. My hairdresser says she has not noticed anything major. In fact, she says it feels healthier than before. I do take Biotin every day. The biotin tablets are very small and easy to take and cheap.

RELAX!!! you will just notice more in your brush, or during a Shampoo. IT's not like cancer treatment.

It doesn't start until 4 or 5 months out and it is rather alarming at times. I don't have a noticeable loss but I am 8 months out and it is still coming out much more than before surgery. The upside is that I have a lot of new, fine, hair coming in to replace it, especially around the hairline. You won't go bald over it though. :D

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:6868]

Like they said I too was really worried. I'm almost 7 months and it's stopped falling out. It was coming out a lot and I started to freak out around 5 months but now it's fine. I actually like it better now because all the dead dry hair from coloring all these years seems to be gone and it's so easy to do 30 min to blow it out instead of 1 hour. My profile pic is from last week so judge for yourself. I never cut it short and kept coloring it as well. Good luck, don't stress that might make it fall out.

I am 7 months out and at about 4 months I noticed my hair falling out and it freaked me out since I DONT have much hair but I am almost at 7 months now and it has slowed down and even though I have naturally thin hair, no one, not even my husband noticed my Hair loss. I have been taking Biotin and washing my hair with Garnier Fall fight Shampoo and conditioner. I think both of those things help as well as making sure you get in all your Protein and all your fluids. I can honestly tell you that the amount of hair loss I had was soooo worth it when I step on that scale or go to the doctor or go shopping for new clothes!

In a word "yes" lots and lots of hair everyday starting at 4 months. I thought maybe since I'm dropping weight really slow I would be spared and I take all my supplements Protein etc.. No such luck... But I knew this was a risk and well..it what I signed up for.

I am almost 3 months out and I am losing mine. I have long thick and curly hair. Mine looks very stringy since its curly so next week I'm getting it cut. My hair is beautiful and as a fat girl I always embraced it because it was all I had that made me feel pretty. Now I am feeling better about myself after 42 lbs lost and I think I can handle the change. Maybe its time to try something new..for the 'new' you.

What can we do to prevent it or make it better?? Any Vitamins or special treatments anyone has used??

I'm pretty sure we've all tried everything. Personally I made sure to get my Protein, Water, Vitamins, and I also took 5,000mg of Biotin and zinc as well. Nothing helped. I'm in the middle of still losing tons of hair every day. My hair isn't thick, but it is curly, so that helps hide it a good bit. My hair was not quite shoulder length and it's stayed at about that with the loss. Hoping to be done with it soon.

I started osing my hair around the 4 month mark. I have long thick curly hair which is falling out in bunches. I take my Vitamins and Biotin daily, so it hasn't helped the loss. My hair is thinner than it was, but no bald Patches or anything like that. I hope it stops soon though.

As of this week I am 6 months post op. I have lost a good bit of hair, but I am the only one that seems to notice. My husband and mother both swear they cannot tell a thing. I do not have any bare spots or anything, just an overall thinning. I have long hair and cut it a few inches about a month ago, which has really helped it not look so stringy. I tried the Aveda Shampoo for Hair loss which I did not care for. The smell of the product is not great and it made my hair tangly and course. A couple weeks ago I bought a wonderful shampoo, conditioner & mousse....it is Kerastase for fine hair. It is expensive but to me, worth it. It has really helped give me volume. I am still losing some hair but it has slowed quite a bit. My nutritionist said that at this point as long as I am getting in my Protein and my Vitamins, the hair loss should be stopping. Honestly I am not great at getting in protein all the time but I try!! I think the hair loss is individual to each patient. Some experience more than others. Best of luck!