Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What changes did you make to your diet before surgery?

Jessica

i see you've been "here" a couple of months' date=' not sure if you've posted before

if this is your first post - let me be the 1rst to give you a big "Welcome Aboard".[/quote']

I've posted a few times but thank you!!! This site is absolutely amazing!!

Caffeine withdrawal can be really bad if you drink it all the time. I personally am not willing to completely give up coffee.

At my last nutritionist visit, I told her I'd crush and snort the No-Doze if I had to! :o

The most important things I did were increasing my Water and Protein. I am a vegetarian and was eating plenty of healthful fruits and veggies but some days I was probably getting 20-30 go of protein. I started logging my food and getting 60-80 g of protein, which naturally made me eat fewer carbs too. I would say getting in the habit of logging your food intake is really important too.

Jessica

one more thing, (as i haven't talked enough already) :lol:

buy this book

Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies!!!

very good - helpful

take care hun :)

The food I eat is pretty healthy. My issue is Portion Control. But I have maybe 4-6 cans of diet soda a day and maybe 2-4 cups of coffee light/sweet. I know the diet soda has no calories, but I'm sure the sodium is retaining Water and since I don't drink Water I'm probably holding onto a lot of weight :(.

Diet soda is actually worse for you. There have been new studies that have found people who consume aspartame have a higher risk for blood cancers. They also found that aspartame and saccharin cause people to gain weight fast than regular sugars. Honestly there was a time where I said I'd never give up my soda (I used to drink A LOT) but having one from time to time is enough for me. I would at least start replacing at least half your soda with water for a week then cut out another one and so on and so forth until you've cut it out completely. Fit it into one day a week or so as a treat if you really have to have it. Like my surgeon said, everything in moderation. As long as it is within your caloric goal for the day then it's ok as long as you aren't having it in addition to everything else. Just don't make it a habit to have it all the time.

At my last nutritionist visit, I told her I'd crush and snort the No-Doze if I had to! :o

LOL I can't completely cut out caffeine. There was a point where I'd prolly hurt someone if they took away my soda/coffee. Years ago I would sit at the diner and drink 4-5 pots with my best friend while we talked. But I find it difficult to start my morning with my energetic 9mth old without at least one cup of coffee. I no longer need it to function throughout the day and it's rare I have more than 2 cups. When I got pregnant I tried to cut the caffeine altogether but the caffeine withdrawal did give me serious debilitating headaches. So I just limited my intake to 1-2 cups of coffee a day and a soda from time to time (usually when we go out to eat).

I agree, let's get started learning good habits early :) I'm not due for surgery for several months too. You could look for Protein Shakes and drinks to find out which ones you like ahead of time. I know tastes can change but I think it should be ok. I'm also trying to eat more Protein and less carbs to get used to it. Hope this helps!

You could look for Protein shakes and drinks to find out which ones you like ahead of time. I know tastes can change but I think it should be ok. I'm also trying to eat more Protein and less carbs to get used to it. Hope this helps!

Jessica, this too is one of the many things you should be doing. Right after the surgery is not going to be a good time to find out you just blew $30 on Protein Drink mix that you hate.

http://www.unjury.com has a sample pack you can order that has different mixes for you to try - this would be a great place to start.