Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need some hope and encouragment please

I had my sleeve surgery in july 2012 and i have lost 50 lbs. Notice I didn't say "only" because 50 lbs. has make a huge difference in my life and i am much happier. I still need to lose 48 more to be at my goal. I am struggling every day with sweet and carb cravings and eating right in general, and every day i fail once again when it comes to food choices. I think once I realized that I could still eat anything, thats kinda just what i did. I am wanting to know if i can lose weight anymore, really, and has anyone else faced this in their weight loss journey and eventually been successful even after they fell in the middle? I exercise too, and i've tried to restart eating right, but i usually cant stick with it very long .I still feel like i am always going to be "on a diet". Have I passed the 6 month window and missed it?? I know that I could have lost 50 lbs. by now on another diet, so what the heck is wrong with me ? I don't want to say I feel like a failure but I guess I do, H E L P!

I am so sorry that you are struggling. Everyone is going to say something different but here's what I found has worked for me... I allow myself a small treat a day and I include it in my food log (I use MyFitnessPal - feel free to friend me barbi1281). I've done this pretty much the whole time to keep from feeling deprived or wondering what would happen if I ever had sugar again. By doing this I feel that I haven't felt the need to binge on junk at all.

Also, when I feel like I'm not doing so well (whether it be weight loss or just eating bad in general), I start making it a point to track my food... I've found that if I know what's going into my mouth before I eat it, I often realize it's not worth it and if I just can't help myself then I go work out.

I know it's hard but don't be discouraged... you are more than halfway there! It's all downhill from here and what you've lost is incredible. You can do this, just don't give up on yourself and don't punish yourself if you mess up. If you don't do it already, I recommend you start taking progress pics so you can really see how far you've come - sometimes when all else fails, my pictures motivate me.

Keep your head up dear. Hugs!!

thanks so much!

You absolutely can still lose weight. I am four months out & down 74 lbs. On this board that is considered being a "slow loser". How silly is that? If you look at my ticker in my signature you will see that I still have another 160 lbs or so to go. If I think about that I get totally overwhelmed.

I just had a conversation last night with my boyfriend on how it has gotten much harder to lose weight since I started being able to tolerate any food that I eat. I haven't been doing very well for the past month with meeting my Protein or Water intake. Sometimes I would much rather have a handful of goldfish crackers than a snack of 2 string cheeses.

We are in a position now where we need to eat to properly meet our nutritional needs. We don't really have the luxury of eating what we want or how much we want. This is very hard. Especially mentally & emotionally. We are not perfect. Every time we make a healthy choice it is a victory.

Try to keep track of all your success on the scale and off the scale. Know that you are not alone. If, most people were honest they would share that they struggle too. There are many people here who do not judge and are willing to be supportive whenever you need it. You CAN do this! I am not saying that it will be easy, but it is possible. I really encourage you to Celebrate every victory and not compare your journey to anyone else. Come here every day of you want or need to. There are a lot of people who are willing to offer support.

So, when I'm having a meltdown when I am down 100 lbs & have more than 100 to go, you might be there to lend an encouraging word. Hang in there & just keep pressing on. You are SO worth it! I wish you all the best!

We're always going to have to watch what we eat. If you are really struggling with carbs, and by carbs I don't mean the carbs from spinach and cauliflower.... but if you're struggling with starchy carbs and sugar then it might be a good idea to completely cut them out for a month or two.. they try to add them back in moderation.. If you fail, then cut them out again and start the process over. That's what I was doing preoperatively and I was having some success. I can now eat a single piece of candy without going crazy. I hope one day to be able to enjoy all my favorite foods the same way. For me I was never able to simply "cut back" but cutting them out completely for a time and then slowly reintroducing them seems to work better. Yes, I've failed on this.. and had to cut out again and start over, but it's a learning process and I'm determined to learn moderation with my favorite foods before I die.

I really appreciate the input. it"s good to know I am not alone. I think I would rather eat crackers or something than eat a meal, this is true. My goal now is to refocus and care for me enough to take care of me :)

I don't think it is ever to late but it seems the key is keeping up with your Protein, journal your food and being prepared. Focus on your nutrition just like you did in the beginning. Get out if the "diet" mentality. So many people feel "I cheated on my diet so I might as well eat what I want today and start over tomorrow". Start over the minute you realized you made a poor choice. Good luck

It sounds as though you may be beating yourself up over non-issues. You said that you feel like you could have lost 50 pounds on any diet by now and guess what....? You could have. We ALL could have, and most of us have, more than once and for whatever the reasons it doesn't stick, and we continue to do what we do and gain it back plus some. The reason we got surgery is to jump off that crazy train and do something more permanent Permanent doesn't mean quick and easy though, unfortunately.

Sometimes I wonder about what goes on or what gets said pre-op to people because I knew right from the get-go that regular food would be back on the menu at some point. The fact is that we can eat most things so we have to be careful.

On a regular basis your diet should not consist of soft (mash it with a fork) type of stuff. You also shouldn't be having meats that are swimming in sauces, broths, gravies or cheese either. All of these things cause you to be able to consume more than is ideal for someone like us.

If you are in a rut I suggest getting a costco membership or something like that - go shop somewhere different and look at other options besides whatever you've been having.

Thank you for this, I feel like there's no hope. But we all know that's not true!! I'm down 82 pounds. I was sleeved May 24 , 2012 I should be down at least 110 pounds. I started at 341 now I'm 259 struggling to move I've been here since Jan. & I feel like I earned the right to eat junk. That's absurd. I still have a goal of 67 more to loose. I NEVER work out. I'm gonna get started ASAP working out now!!

neek41

that's awesome neek41. I'm really glad i'm not alone on this journey. I think you have all given me some hope. i think i will go to a new store and focus on getting interesting Protein choices. i sincerely thank you all for the input. please keep it coming:) my hope is rising.

You can do this! You have come so far. Seeing a therapist helped me deal with my food issues/addiction. I don't think I would be successful without her help. You might want to consider getting some help to deal with food issues. Good luck on getting back on track!

You can do this! You have come so far. Seeing a therapist helped me deal with my food issues/addiction. I don't think I would be successful without her help. You might want to consider getting some help to deal with food issues. Good luck on getting back on track!

I will def cut out the clowning & thanks for your advice!! That helps

neek41

Thank you for this, I feel like there's no hope. But we all know that's not true!! I'm down 82 pounds. I was sleeved May 24 , 2012 I should be down at least 110 pounds. I started at 341 now I'm 259 struggling to move I've been here since Jan. & I feel like I earned the right to eat junk. That's absurd. I still have a goal of 67 more to loose. I NEVER work out. I'm gonna get started ASAP working out now!!

neek41

I had a personal trainer once that said the reason most women fail at weight loss is because they believe 2 things.

#1. If we eat something we have deemed off limits then we reason that we blew our "diet" so we might as well eat what we want that day and start over tomorrow.

#2. We lose some weight or get to our goal and feel we can now go back to eating what we want (we earned it or our job is done mentality) when what we want to eat is what got us in this trouble.

He was right! That was exactly the roller coaster I was on. You have to change your way of thinking to change your outcome.

shuckybucky, that is so true. The mindset is the hardest thing to change. Since i first posted, I have already had a few really good days. eating my Protein and taking time for me :) that means cooking and thinking about what i put in my mouth. I had salmon and made a dill sauce W/ yogurt, garlic dill and lemon. so good!! walking too, and feeling better. thanks again for the help guys. hope is rising!!

I had a personal trainer once that said the reason most women fail at weight loss is because they believe 2 things.

#1. If we eat something we have deemed off limits then we reason that we blew our "diet" so we might as well eat what we want that day and start over tomorrow.

#2. We lose some weight or get to our goal and feel we can now go back to eating what we want (we earned it or our job is done mentality) when what we want to eat is what got us in this trouble.

He was right! That was exactly the roller coaster I was on. You have to change your way of thinking to change your outcome.

That's so true my mind often tells me what my rights are but we all know this is why we had the surgery to get rid of this weight. I will not go back to the old me. It just seems like I'm truly powerless against food. That makes me think I have issues. But like you said, once my mind has been made up, it's all over. I choose to keep it moving.. Thanks for your encouraging words shucky!!

neek41