Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should a newbie expect?

I'm just starting to look into VSG and doing the procedure in Mexico. I'd appreciate any insight as to what to expect, how to get started, etc.Do I just pick a site (ie: Ready 4 a change) and wait for someone to contact me? What's an approximate time line from first contact until surgery date? Thanks!

I would like to join in on this question. I'm at the same stage. Would like to hear any feedback on Drs in Cancun. Thanks!

Just watch people's journeys and ask questions. Once you contact ready for a change , a lighter me, or whoever they will be in touch pretty fast. You can then get a feel of who your comfortable with and where. I figure if you wanted you could get a April date.

Just watch people's journeys and ask questions. Once you contact ready for a change , a lighter me, or whoever they will be in touch pretty fast. You can then get a feel of who your comfortable with and where. I figure if you wanted you could get a April date.

Thank you!

I also saw this post on the recent thread about Dr. Kelly, posted by janiagurl:

"In Mexico, no referral is needed. You fill out forms( health questionnaires),usually speak with a coordinator and after the doctor evaluates all the information,you pay the deposit and pick a date.---- This is how it usually goes, but everyones experience may vary"

I would add to visit the different coordinators web sites to get a feel for the company, how much information do they give? Is the site up to date? Also, there are tons of videos on You Tube from different doctors, you can see their personality and there are patient testimonials. Also, check to see if they have a Face Book page you can look at.

And keep reading this site and asking questions!

yes, I got a call back from my coordinator the same day I requested more info... and from there it is pretty quick (approval is usually in a day or two) depending on you and if you have a passport etc... if no passport you will have to allow at least 3 weeks to get that and they want you to have 2 weeks of a diet that helps to shrink your liver to aid in ease of surgery, so you could pick a date 2 weeks from your approval if you have a passport or 3-4 weeks if you still need it! Hope this helps! :)

I'm just starting to look into VSG and doing the procedure in Mexico. I'd appreciate any insight as to what to expect' date=' how to get started, etc.Do I just pick a site (ie: Ready 4 a change) and wait for someone to contact me? What's an approximate time line from first contact until surgery date? Thanks![/quote']

I never waited more than a day. They're quick to respond.

Thanks again, y'all!

I can give you a referral. Dr. Ramos Kelly in Tijuana did mine (revision from lapband to VSG) and my niece's vsg and was great, the whole experience was great. They treat you wonderful and you can talk directly to the doctor if you want, that isn't a big deal at all. I did a lot of research before going down there and there were about 3 I had decided on and narrowed it down to him. I have heard about many good ones in Mexico. After doing research get on all the forums you want and search out that doctor's name and communicate with people who have actually had it done by the doctor you are considering...that is the best referral system, a testimony! :) There might be people not satisfied with him, I don't know. Everyone has there on priorities and needs look into who fits their wants and needs. I appreciated all the names and numbers I could get when I was doing research. Try and book directly through the doctor not an agency if possible.

Here is their email for information: wls-clinic@hotmail.com or website http://www.ramoskellymd.com/ the coordinator there is name Omar and he is exceptionally nice and helpful. :)

I am not saying just go to him but I'm just giving you a start on your research. :) everyone

needs to pick their own doctor of course.

Here is my video of our time there. :)

Good luck with your research and decision. feel free to ask me any questions. :)

Hey I just had my surgery with Dr Elias Ortiz thru alighterme.com Janese was my coordinator I really recommend them they have a great rappor with the hospital that we didn't even have to wait to get rooms like some of the other patients that were already their waiting when we got their. I got in on a special for 4500 and that included everything except my travel to San Diego where they pick you up,

Also I didn't have time to get a passport or lets say I didn't want to wait to get a passport so I and my wife just went down their with our CA ID and birth cert. and we were ok getting back into the USA to get into TJ they don't ask for anything

Also if your a lower bmi u might be able to just do 1 week of pre diet and 3 days of liquids you can call Janese up directly at (714) 516-8193 or visit the website let her know Allen sent you she will take real good care of u

If you want to read my whole review just clink on my profile and it will come up

Sent from my iPhone using VST

These were my criteria in selecting a surgeon in Mexico:

1. A surgeon who has performed a lot of weight loss surgery.

2. Member of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery (i.e. need to be able to verify their credentials)

3. The doc should have a lot of positive internet “buzz”, or testimonials on weight loss surgery forums so I could contact those and get some independent feedback.

4. Would like to go to a part of Mexico WITH NO TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS from the US State Department (the state of Baja California where TJ is located does not have a travel warning)

5. The icing on the cake would be if they were at an International Center of Excellence as designated by the independent US Surgical Review Corporation – same body that designates US bariatric Centers of Excellence

6. Oh, and I wanted to contact the surgeon DIRECTLY, not through a surgery coordinating company

GOOD LUCK!

I contacted pretty much everyone.. I finally wound up going through Mexico Bariatric Center and used two doctors who had a lot of experience with Bariatric surgery, but were new at serving the international market.

These doctors were the lowest price among doctors who met all the other criteria important to me (more than a thousand surgeries, surgery in a hospital- not clinic, not too many surgeries in a day, is not moonlighting with a separate non-bariatric practice, bariatric specialty, available for questions, reliable coordinator) If money was not a concern, I think I may have gone with Alvarez but I couldn't justify spending almost twice the amount for him, when the doctors I ultimately selected were well qualified and were able to meet my needs.

I contacted pretty much everyone.. I finally wound up going through Mexico Bariatric Center and used two doctors who had a lot of experience with Bariatric surgery' date=' but were new at serving the international market.

These doctors were the lowest price among doctors who met all the other criteria important to me (more than a thousand surgeries, surgery in a hospital- not clinic, not too many surgeries in a day, is not moonlighting with a separate non-bariatric practice, bariatric specialty, available for questions, reliable coordinator) If money was not a concern, I think I may have gone with Alvarez but I couldn't justify spending almost twice the amount for him, when the doctors I ultimately selected were well qualified and were able to meet my needs.[/quote']

I am very new here too and have seriously been trying to read on here and research!... Thinking of going with mexico bariatric center as well...

I am very new here too and have seriously been trying to read on here and research!... Thinking of going with Mexico bariatric center as well...

I've been all over this forum since August/September. Originally I chose Dr. Lopez but I ultimately went with Dr. Aceves. My experience with Dr. Aceves and Mexicali Bariatric Center was nothing short of excellent.

Amanda Rae