Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge Eating Food Funeral

My surgery is mid-May and I can't wait but find myself wanted to eat everything I think I will not be able to eat after surgery. I am gaining weight and out of control I need help! Did anyone else go thought this and if so what helped. I have had enough and starting today I want to change this and develop new habits a month before my surgery!

MMmm.....I'll bet there are just a few hundreds of threads on this topic. Try searching up top.

I did this the weekend before I had to start my pre-op diet, but that was it. I don't regret doing it and don't crave the foods I used to eat.

I started a very strict diet program three months before surgery and I know that saved me from the food funerals. I did have some overwhelming feelings of "must eat all the things before it's too late" but then I'd tell myself that I CAN have those things in the future. I did have two days where I completely fell off the wagon that I'm not proud of.. and another three days where I consciously took a few days off my strict plan (it was an 800 calorie VLCD which is not easy to stick to with a full size stomach!) But ate normally and did not binge on those days.

The feelings you're feeling are NORMAL, but you need to intervene and work NOW on changing your relationship with food NOW before surgery and remember that you WILL be able to eat all your favorite foods again if you want to. You won't be perfect, and you may fall off the wagon here and there, but if you continue to be out of control, it will only mean more weight to lose later, and a more painful adjustment to the sleeve after surgery.

My surgery is mid-May and I can't wait but find myself wanted to eat everything I think I will not be able to eat after surgery. I am gaining weight and out of control I need help! Did anyone else go thought this and if so what helped. I have had enough and starting today I want to change this and develop new habits a month before my surgery!

My surgery is mid-may also! I know what you mean, I have been binge eating like crazy, gaining weight. I am going to start counting calories using myfitnesspal.com, they also have an app. I can't keep gaining!

I did the same thing- I gained 8 pounds in 3 months before surgery. But take it from me! You will be able to eat your favorite foods again in time. I am 20 months post op. I eat what I want in moderation. there is nothing I can't eat, or drink now. I would love to go back and not gain those 8 pounds, I would probably 8 pounds less now!!

I did the food funeral. Gained 7 lbs. I was sick of food though when I started my pre op diet. I think it's a typical response. Kinda wish I hadn't now.

I'm on my pre-op diet and have 6 lbs left to shed by April 8 th . I have been eating Protein Bars for Meal Replacements and they really work well with a cup of coffee . I try to stick to the 200 calorie ones and then I will have a container /!serving of Greek yogurt . I find this makes calorie counting easy .

Like others said, this is normal. Completely normal! I would suggest what i tried to get in the "post-op mindset". No matter what i ate i took small bites and chewed longer. I stopped drinking with meals (and let me tell you, i never imagined not drinking with meals ever!) And it sounds weird but i didnt like what i was eating and i would eat less of it. Its like your brain is preparing you and you'll start to "listen" to your stomach. It'll tell you whats agreeing with you and whats not. Its amazing!

And another thing, i stopped soda and sugary drinks by choice so no one was telling me that i had to because im the type that if you tell me i cant have it, i want it now. Just drink tons of Water and you'll feel so much better!

Good luck to you! :)

Oh dear, you have a little while to go before surgery time. I was lucky and had my consult and had surgery within the month. I had a severe food funeral going on!! I gained 6 pounds in just that one month. So I definitely understand where you are coming from. My only advice is to try to remember that the weight you gain now before surgery, will just put you even further behind once you are sleeved. If you can, start exercising and get on a better eating plan even if it isn't a super strict diet. I know you may feel like you will never eat these foods again and want to eat them while you can, but that isn't the case. I am only 11 weeks post op and I can eat everything that I was able to eat before surgery, just not as much. You can do this! :D

I'm scared to feast . They tell me if I don't lose 13 lbs they could refuse to do my surgery so I have 3 lbs to go and I will have hit my goal .

I was lucky. My first doctor's appointment was Valentines Day and I was sleeved on March 4. I had no pre op diet instructions or restrictions and basically ate everything in sight for those 2 plus weeks. Last meal was a chili dog, onion rings and a vanilla milk shake. I have a pic of it in my phone.

Wow ! Maybe your b m I was lower then mine . It's going to be the end of me doing the shakes 3 days before and 21 days after my sleeve ..... but after that I hope I will be able to enjoy good food again .

I