Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to hear from the ex-heavy smokers and current smokers

My surgery is on April 10th and yesterday I met with my surgery team's psychologist. I had to fill out about 15 psychology questionnaires prior to seeing him. He went over them in about a second, circling everything I'd written down as 'do' or 'feel often' or 'all the time'. He asked me a couple of questions, and, for the life of me I can't remember what it was, he asked me something to which my answer was "I'm more anxious about giving up smoking than about giving up food", and it's true. He didn't ask me anything else about it, or anything else for that matter and soon came to the conclusion that I might not be ready for surgery, that I need to fix other things first (i.e. smoking). He didn't ask me if I was ready to stop smoking or not (my pulmonologist recommended I quit smoking 2 weeks prior to surgery -- 4 days from today), he didn't ask what my pulmonologist (gave me the green light for surgery and made recommendations for the anesthesiologist)... Ok, now I'm rambling... Anyway, this psych person said I wouldn't be able to handle giving up food and cigarettes at the same time, among other things. He may be right, I'm yet to find out, but what bothers me is that he said that after I said I was more anxious about giving up smoking --- is that really that telling of who I am and how I handle things?

Ok, I needed to vent, I apologize for the rambling.

So, fellow smokers/ex-smokers, how did you handle having to quit? How did you quit? Did any of you simply not quit? How'd that go?

I'm not looking for a lecture, I'm looking for actual stories about quitting/not quitting. I've been a heavy smoker (1+ packs/day) for 18 years, and, unfortunately it's very much part of my life: both my parents and both brothers smoke (I live with my mother and 1 brother - can't avoid them), I work at a very small, very informal advertising agency run from my boss' apartment - only 3 employees: all of us smokers (esp. the boss) = smoke-friendly office. I'm not sure I'm ready to quit, and from what I've heard you really need to want it in order to be successful. I'm not predisposing myself (am I?), I know I need to quit in order to have a speedy recovery / no pulmonary embolisms / a healthy life once and for all. But even the thought of a pulmonary embolism doesn't scare me as much as the thought of nicotine withdrawal and craving (+ I won't be able to replace my addiction with food).

I'm sorry about my newspaper-sized post. Just really need to hear from people who were once (or are currently) in my shoes.

First let me say, I'm not a smoker...but my partner, who had gastric bypass a year ago, was for 30 years (and she LOVED smoking). Obviously, I can't give you my perspective as understanding what you're going through, but I sure can tell you what it was like living through it with her!!

We both had our surgeries through the same bariatric practice (diff surgeons) and they absolutely will NOT do surgery on anyone that smokes. And they actually have you do a nicotine test before scheduling surgery.

She bought a fairly cheap e-cigarette about 2 months before surgery with the hope that she would be able to wean herself down to a zero nicotine level. Well, she managed, but she absolutely HATED it. She hated the taste of it and she craved the nicotine like crazy....it was almost unbearable to be around her!

Well, she got through surgery and about 2 weeks post op, she started smoking the e-cigs with the nictotine again....even though she didn't like them and all she really wanted was to smoke real cigarettes!! Then about 2 months later, we walked into a "vape" store because she ran out of the prefilled cartomizers she was using and they were still in the mail. Well, that day changed everything!!!

She ended up buying a vape set up and they helped her find a nicotine flavored "juice" that she really liked. It wasn't cheap...but it all ends up costing about 1/2 of what she spent on cigarettes and she absolutely LOVES to vape....she can't even imagine going back to cigarettes. I think the reason she likes it is because she hasn't had to give up the physical aspect of smoking....and now, she can "smoke", or rather vape, anywhere!!

Of course, she is still getting nicotine but she no longer gets any of the other harmful things that come from cigarettes!! And most importantly, I feel so much better knowing that she isn't going to get an ulcer from smoking (which is a major risk for RNY patients).

Thank you, Lisa.

I've seen that "vape" word a few times on VST, and once looked into it (not well enough) and was led to the same old electronic cigarettes. I have an e-cig, but find that my cravings for nicotine come more often when use it and, for some reason, I cough every time I inhale even though the nicotine-filled "filter" is full-flavored like my regular cigarettes.

I'll definitely look further into this whole vaping thing. Sounds like it could be a good replacement to the real thing, before I give nicotine up for good.

Thank you so much for your input!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Having a good quality unit will make ALL the difference. And by good, I mean, it's a variable voltage unit. By being able to change the voltage on the unit, you can adjust the throat hit and the higher quality juices just have a better flavor. She uses a Provari set up ( provape.com ) with a tobacco flavored juice called Tribeca made by Halo.

If you live in, or near, a major city you should check to see if there are any vape stores so that you can go in and try it. We are in the Los Angeles area so there are many!!!

Good Luck!!

I was a heavy smoker and was required to quit for my surgery. I used chantix which had not worked in the past. This time it had to. It hasn't been easy and the one thing that has kept me from caving is knowing I must pass a blood nicotine test.

I can actually say I feel better. Walking is easier. Climbing stairs is easier. Not covering the smell is a great relief. I was sick most of this winter and now realize that my smoking and my age is why.

Now all that being said I can tell you that I was pissed off about having to quit. Still am actually. I went through one particular stressful week where I didn't think I would make it. Even had someone blow smoke in my face - which did calm me some.

My partner still smokes and is very considerate about it. I still get pissed off but it does get easier each day. I have started making an X on a calendar to track the days and money saved. Eventually I will save enough to buy a coveted D&B bag as my reward.

Will I pick it up again? I don't know but I pray not. I know this is necessary for my health.

I will say I had it a little easier because I could not smoke at work as it is totally smoke free which will be harder for you. But when you get the psychological desire wait it out a few minutes and it will go away.

Now I see it that if I could quit smoking I can handle to food restrictions. I even lost weight during the process.

Let me know if you have more questions. I've been there done that.

I too was a smoker. I quit March 1st (had my last cigarette Feb 28th). It has been a bumpy road. I quit cold turkey because I knew if I didn't quit that way I would never quit. There has been many times iv wanted to buy a pack, but that little voice of reason on my head has stopped me every time. I looked at it as, if I was taking such a large step for my health to have surgery, how damaging would I be to myself to continue to smoke. Why bother fighting one battle just to let another one go without even an attempt.

I started my Pre Op diet yesterday morning and I honestly feel I'm craving food far more than I craved a cigarette. I had made myself mentally ready to give up both but this one is so much harder. But again, that voice of reason keeps pushing me thru. My surgery is scheduled for March 28th and I will be fully on my way to a new and healthy life.

Good Luck with your decision. It's not an easy one, and it is one that only you can make!!!!

[quote name="Lisa :)]Having a good quality unit will make ALL the difference. And by good' date=' I mean, it's a variable voltage unit. By being able to change the voltage on the unit, you can adjust the throat hit and the higher quality juices just have a better flavor. She uses a Provari set up ( provape.com ) with a tobacco flavored juice called Tribeca made by Halo.

If you live in, or near, a major city you should check to see if there are any vape stores so that you can go in and try it. We are in the Los Angeles area so there are many!!!

Good Luck!![/quote']

Thanks again!

I visited the provape.com site, and the price is definitely out of my range right now (I'm paying for surgery out of pocket), but I did find another option, no variable voltage, but something to try. Ordered a kit with two different juices, hoping one of them will have a good-enough flavor and kick to fend off the cravings for the real thing. Even if it doesn't, it'll be good to have something to put between my fingers and in my mouth when I get anxious (could also use a straw and inhale clean air, but i'd rather have something with nicotine nearby... Just in case).

I was a heavy smoker and was required to quit for my surgery. I used chantix which had not worked in the past. This time it had to. It hasn't been easy and the one thing that has kept me from caving is knowing I must pass a blood nicotine test.

I can actually say I feel better. Walking is easier. Climbing stairs is easier. Not covering the smell is a great relief. I was sick most of this winter and now realize that my smoking and my age is why.

Now all that being said I can tell you that I was pissed off about having to quit. Still am actually. I went through one particular stressful week where I didn't think I would make it. Even had someone blow smoke in my face - which did calm me some.

My partner still smokes and is very considerate about it. I still get pissed off but it does get easier each day. I have started making an X on a calendar to track the days and money saved. Eventually I will save enough to buy a coveted D&B bag as my reward.

Will I pick it up again? I don't know but I pray not. I know this is necessary for my health.

I will say I had it a little easier because I could not smoke at work as it is totally smoke free which will be harder for you. But when you get the psychological desire wait it out a few minutes and it will go away.

Now I see it that if I could quit smoking I can handle to food restrictions. I even lost weight during the process.

Let me know if you have more questions. I've been there done that.

Hi anniemay.

I've heard Chantix can do wonders for some. I've considered going on Chantix, and even bought a box but never even tried, I'm very much afraid of the side effects. I'm depressive, and I understand depression and Chantix don't mix well.

It's great that you were able to quit. I admire that. More so if your partner is still a smoker and you've been able to hold your own.

I know exactly what you mean about being pissed. I'm pissed at everyone except my actual surgeon... He's the only one from his team of doctors that hasn't told me that i HAVE to quit. C'mon, he even said the hospital had nicotine Patches they could supply me with. And I know for a fact that he's an excellent surgeon. But everyone else: "you have to quit". But just like you don't know if you'll ever pick it up again (I hope not, but I understand you're being realistic), I don't know if I'll be able to stay away from nicotine completely, but I hope I can.

I too was a smoker. I quit March 1st (had my last cigarette Feb 28th). It has been a bumpy road. I quit cold turkey because I knew if I didn't quit that way I would never quit. There has been many times iv wanted to buy a pack' date=' but that little voice of reason on my head has stopped me every time. I looked at it as, if I was taking such a large step for my health to have surgery, how damaging would I be to myself to continue to smoke. Why bother fighting one battle just to let another one go without even an attempt.

I started my Pre Op diet yesterday morning and I honestly feel I'm craving food far more than I craved a cigarette. I had made myself mentally ready to give up both but this one is so much harder. But again, that voice of reason keeps pushing me thru. My surgery is scheduled for March 28th and I will be fully on my way to a new and healthy life.

Good Luck with your decision. It's not an easy one, and it is one that only you can make!!!![/quote']

Hi Christie,

It's amazing that you were able to quit cold turkey. I think i'd go insane! But it's great when the voice of reason is loud and clear. Sometimes instead of the voice of reason you hear a series of excuses or bargains in your head that lead you (me) down the unhealthy, it'll-be-fine-if-I-quit-at-a-later-time path.

Keep listening to the voice of reason, you're only 5 days away to the beginning of the better/healthier rest of your life.

The best of luck with your surgery. Have a speedy recovery and let us know how you're doing - especially us April Sleevers -- a reality check can't hurt us.

Have a smooth ride.

I was a smoker for 15 years and quit in August cold turkey. I had my surgery in January. I have to say that the first few weeks were tough but then it was no problem. Since I've had surgery, I have craved them off and on. I refuse to give in. I have to say I'm glad that I gave them up way before hand because this surgery is a big deal and you have to learn a whole new way of eating and drinking. If I had had to give up cigarettes at the same time I think I would've cracked! Lol! If you don't think you can do it cold turkey I think the vape thing sounds interesting and worth a try. Good luck!

I didn't quit before surgery and haven't quit after.

Oh - and I'm not looking for a lecture on this subject. I'm giving an honest answer to the question.

I had no problems with surgery and haven't had a problem since the surgery. Yes I know I should quit but I'm not ready. I already gave up food as I've always known it. I'll give up smoking when I decide to.

Not advocating smoking, just saying it hasn't cause me a problem. I'm healing well and am able to eat a variety of things.

I was a smoker for 15 years and quit in August cold turkey. I had my surgery in January. I have to say that the first few weeks were tough but then it was no problem. Since I've had surgery' date=' I have craved them off and on. I refuse to give in. I have to say I'm glad that I gave them up way before hand because this surgery is a big deal and you have to learn a whole new way of eating and drinking. If I had had to give up cigarettes at the same time I think I would've cracked! Lol! If you don't think you can do it cold turkey I think the vape thing sounds interesting and worth a try. Good luck![/quote']

Wow, congrats on the strength to quit cold turkey! and to keep at it beyond surgery and until today. I do wish I had your strength and willpower. My surgery's only 17 days away and I'm still smoking away. My e-cig will be here soon (ordered it online) and my Patches are just waiting for me to be ready for 'em... Not sure if I'll be. But, again, i will try.

I didn't quit before surgery and haven't quit after.

Oh - and I'm not looking for a lecture on this subject. I'm giving an honest answer to the question.

I had no problems with surgery and haven't had a problem since the surgery. Yes I know I should quit but I'm not ready. I already gave up food as I've always known it. I'll give up smoking when I decide to.

Not advocating smoking' date=' just saying it hasn't cause me a problem. I'm healing well and am able to eat a variety of things.[/quote']

Sharon,

Definitely no lecture or judgement from my part. I'm glad to hear you haven't had any complications.

That's the thing about quitting smoking: you have to really want it and be ready and decide to do it. You weren't at that point, and neither am I. I, too, know I should quit, but I already gave up sodas, which was another addiction, and will soon be giving up food as I know it. Crystal Light has replaced my addiction to Coke (the soda ;) ), and, hopefully, exercise will replace all the crappy food... What on Earth could replace cigarettes? No, I'm not ready to give it up. But yes, I will try... If not now, someday.

Good luck to you. Im so glad I never smoked, I see all these commercials with people who have holes in thier necks, lost legs, fingers etc. I know what its like to give up an addictive substance but It can be done you have to want it bad enough.

Can you imagine having this surgery to get healthy and your looking good but you drop dead of a smoking related disease.

I will pray that those who quit for surgery stay quitted after.

I started heavily smoking when I was 15 and quit when I was 21 (recently). I went to nicotine anonymous, tried e-cigs etc. I finally knew I had to quit when I started planning the surgery. I didn't quit off the surgery, I wasn't at that stage yet. I just had a day when my mind and body said "enough". After a few days of cold turkey my willpower Got weak so I bought the nicorette Patches and they helped so much! I'm several months nicotine free and off of the Patches and i couldn't be happier. The cravings still come but if I deep breathe through them it isn't a miserable thing.