Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

...totally confused with the diet now...help, please!

I have been struggling with the Protein since my surgery on March 6. I am not thirsty. I am not hungry. My pain is nearly gone. I have been doing the meds/vitamins. I have been doing the walking. I have experienced a ton of regret & remorse. Now, with that being said, I have been trying to read, research, and learn more about protein & the diet, etc...because there's no going back now...

I know different dr's have different guidelines....but I just read a thread on there about pureed food (chilis, veggie burgers, and lots of good sounding recipes)...in stage one & two????

My stage 1 is Clear Liquids and sugar free Jello and popcicles...

My stage 2 is skim milk, cream soups...and the continuation of the sugar free jellos, puddings, popcicles, etc..

My stage 3 is bananas and Peanut Butter added to the mix.

My stage 4 is eggs, toast, cheese, flat breads, soft cooked veggies, soft canned veggies.

My stage 5 is fish...

with that being said, my question are....# 1 are this people posting all these decent sounding recipes & eating it at week 1 and 2, basically going against the drs? or # 2 am I just clueless and should be eating a whole lot more than what I am? or could the same surgery's guidelines be that much different regardless of dr?

I am not craving anything, but common sense tells me, I hate the shakes & I haven't eaten anything except a few bites of jello, pudding, one banana, and few tsp of peanut butter yesterday since March 3...I don't want my body to break down ???

who is right on the diet? my dr and this sheet I am staring at? or people on here with different dr's who sound like they feel great and are losing, but are actually eating a little half-cup stuff?

One post even mentioned eating KFC mashed potatoes??? is that even allowed ever again after this surgery?

I think every doctor and nutritionist have different guidelines... I am back on regular foods... and seriously... there is no "allowed" list... or "not allowed" list... For me... I work to eat healthy foods... to eat Protein rich foods... I walk... dance... use my dumbells and strength bands to work out... and I am STILL a slow loser...

My advice... talk to your doctor and find out what he thinks... then do what works for YOU!

I think it is a mix. I imagine that not everyone is compliant 100% and there is a definite variety in stages, foods allowed and the speed that people go thru stages. Peanut Butter is on my no list all together (not that I necessarily think anything is wrong with it, but just to show that even between us there is a difference) I think it is about trying to be compliant, and getting in your Protein. :) Talk to your Dr./NUT and see what works for you.

Like DeeDee said...there is a difference in dr's, & some have given a "never again" list. I didn't have all the stages you listed, I also had no pre-op diet...just liquid diet the day before surgery. I was released to eat reg food at week 2! I have had no issues at all with eating anything. I also wasn't given a "never" list...my dr said "try it..if it makes you hurt or feel bad...don't do it!" simple as that. Now...with that said, I think you should follow YOUR dr's advice...not mine or anyone else's....do as yours says & you will get better!

Again, every Dr is different. I was on clear liquids for 3 days then to protien shakes and protien Soups thru week 1. Week 1-2 I implemented the "slip and Slide" diet which includes anything that will slide off a plate...cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, applesauce. I am also eating refried Beans with lowfat cheese melted on top. My Dr also does not require a pureed stage. He said "thats what your teeth are for"! He did say to start with fish before chicken or meat. The fish will go down easier the chicken can bind at first. So, starting tomorrow I can start eating regular food and chew,chew,chew!

My Dr also does not require a pureed stage. He said "thats what your teeth are for"! He did say to start with fish before chicken or meat. The fish will go down easier the chicken can bind at first. So' date=' starting tomorrow I can start eating regular food and chew,chew,chew![/quote']

Wish I could get my wife to go with that hehe, my doctor does have a puréed stage and so my wife isn't letting slide on any of the stages even thought I was thinking the same thing that's what our teeth are for to chew enough so not to let solids go down

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Every doctor is different. I was on liquids right after surgery and then they moved me to soft foods after my 2 week post op visit. They said if I could tolerate that then I could start with real food. I just had to introduce it slowly. So I have been eating regular food since about week 3 after my surgery. I was sleeved on 2/19/13. Just depends on your doctor. Follow your own doctor's advice. Stay the course. What works for me might not work for you.

I was sleeved on March 8th. I am on a full liquid diet until March 29th. I drink 2 30 gram Protein Shakes a day and 1 or 2 greek yogurts with 12 grams of Protein each. I am trying to get in as much Water as I can but usually not more than 40 ounces at this point. I can't wait for purred food on the 29th. I have lost 12 pounds since surgery. I'm okay with that number!

Well - it's true that the variation in Dr's orders is confusing. I think you do what's best for you and that your body will give you a clear signal if it's too soon for a particular food. I believe I'm just now supposed to start puree at 14 days post op. I already moved past that but I do take it slow and carefully. i have to say that since I added a little soft food here and there I feel 100% better. And I'm losing at a pretty good rate. 19 lbs in 2 weeks. I no longer hate my scale.< /p>