Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I am depressed. I know I am depressed because of my weight. That only makes me eat more because I am an emotional eater. Should I get on meds now or wait until after surgery. I've had depression as long as I can remember in spurts. I am ok for a while and then I am in a funk like I am now. I just feel hopeless and tired all the time. I have no interest in anything really. I can barely get up for work. Even spending time with my husband and kids is a task.

Oh, I sure do understand since I suffer from depression. My hubby and kids suffered also because of my depression. I've been on meds since 2006 I think. I'm also a binge eater too with the depression. If i were in your situation, I would take care of the depression first. I think it'll put you in a better frame of mind for wls since it's a big commitment on your part and you definitely want your 'A' game.....good luck

I have been on meds and anytime I tried to go off of them, I end up in a funk. I have a chemical imbalance and probably always will....I feel so much better on the meds and if I skip a couple of days, my hubby always knows even when I don't. If I were you I would get on the meds now as it takes several weeks in your system to actually make a difference. I highly recommend Lexapro! PS I am an emotional eater as well but the meds help me. Good luck to you!

Now!

I could be totally over it next week. It is weird for me. I am super stressed right now. I just want to feel better. I was worried being on depression meds would hurt my chances for insurance coverage though.

I use to sell health ins. My experience was the insurance company would deny a person until they had been on them for 3-6 months & the doctor said the person felt better.

All the other posters said good things, I too am on anti depressants & have been since 1998.

Just another thought in the mix, how long have you been suffering from depression? Years? You mention it is partially because of your weight. Mine was too. Now that I am 30 lb's from goal and getting all these endorphins from exercise I wonder if I will be able to get off them. I can only do one thing at a time so it is too early for me. My point is, if the depression is mainly weight related, MAYBE having the surgery and the wonderful, quick weight loss will alleviate most of the depression. I know I still felt plenty depressed even on the pills while I was 125 lb's overweight.

I know once I have the surgery I will feel better. It will give me a sense of relief. I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I hate those broad diagnosis but I am in constant pain. I think the combination of it all just gets me in a bad mood. I'm going to wait until after surgery. I'm not going to have to wait months for my surgery. That will only make it worse not better. Thanks for the info. I will just cope until then. I'm not suicidal or anything, just feel blah so nobody freak out. :)