Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I do not enjoy food anymore

Title says it all. food has lost its stronghold on me. I found myself feeling a bit depressed while hovering over my fifth of a chipotle burrito bowl not knowing why when it hit me - I was not nearly as happy to be eating that as I used too. Food has lost its shine.

I dont have anything to ask, I just thought I would share. I suppose its a good thing I am working and have somewhere else to put my focus because a few weeks ago I think this could have thrown me into a major depression.

I can totally relate to your post...and actually it is one of my fears and hesitations about the surgery...I actually consider eating a good and satisfying meal one of life's greatest pleasures...the problem of course for me is that I over-indulge and have overdone it with emotional overeating...I guess I would love the best of both worlds; i.e., 95% of the time having the sleeve to restrict what I can eat, but maybe once or twice a month being able to eat one of my favorite meals and enjoy it...I fear I will be depressed once I am not able to do that...but I know that the health risks I face without surgery are devastating, so I must be a realist and accept what needs to be done...I wish you the best NurseGrace

I can relate. Lately when I get hungry nothing sounds good. Not even junk food. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a perfect eater because I still get cravings but for the most part food doesn't really excite me anymore.

Maybe I'm weird. I really look foward to my meals (I am 5 weeks post-op) and love that I can only have a few bites and I'm done and satisfied. I have realized that food can be good even in teeny tiny portions. I feel like I savor every bite. I love coming up with new ideas or eating my old favorites (veggie chili with greek yogurt instead of sour cream and some melted cheese is probably my fav). I would love to dig into a nice salad, but that will come in time.

TES, I hope I can have your outlook when I am a few weeks post-op...thanks for the positive post

Maybe I'm weird. I really look foward to my meals (I am 5 weeks post-op) and love that I can only have a few bites and I'm done and satisfied. I have realized that food can be good even in teeny tiny portions. I feel like I savor every bite. I love coming up with new ideas or eating my old favorites (veggie chili with greek yogurt instead of sour cream and some melted cheese is probably my fav). I would love to dig into a nice salad, but that will come in time.

I can't wait to be able to eat salad again either. I'm a month out. I find that I savor food more now than I ever did and hope it's not just because of the fact that I'm so limited on what I can eat. My biggest problem that I have to work hard at is when I can see I only have one or two more bites left, but it tastes so good that I don't want to waste it, that I need to just put the food down and deal with the fact that I need to stop. Hopefully I will get there soon.

One thing I've learned is to not taste food while I'm making it...not even a little bite or two...or I can only eat 1 or 2 bites at the table! LOL.

Title says it all. food has lost its stronghold on me. I found myself feeling a bit depressed while hovering over my fifth of a chipotle burrito bowl not knowing why when it hit me - I was not nearly as happy to be eating that as I used too. food has lost its shine.

I dont have anything to ask' date=' I just thought I would share. I suppose its a good thing I am working and have somewhere else to put my focus because a few weeks ago I think this could have thrown me into a major depression.[/quote']

I'm with you! I feel like it's a chore to eat. This week I forced myself to make a few of the Emily Bites recipes thinking that would help wake up my taste buds.....the answer is "eh." I enjoy the first few bites and then I'm done...still not eating much. But at least I have a bunch of pre-cooked meals for the rest of the week :) Plus, I split them with my sister....she didn't have surgery but she's working hard to lose weight and sharing meals is helping both of us :)

My husband and I love going out to eat. I guess we are going to have to find a new hobby...a healthy one. Do many of you still enjoy restaurants?

I also enjoyed going out to eat. I loved trying new restaurants. I guess I won't be doing that anymore, or maybe just once in a blue moon.

We go out to eat and share a meal or I ask for a to go box right away! We travel a lot as both our Mom's are in assisted living in 2 different towns. So... I'm trying to figure out what to take with me.. I'm 4 and 1/2 months out. I always have Protein Bars and Water with me.

I feel the same way!!! I don't enjoy eating anymore, even food I use to love just doesn't taste the same anymore. Which I love because I enjoy healthy food now just as much as I enjoyed unhealthy food. It just doesn't matter to me, I eat because I need to now, not really because I want to.

I go out to eat probably 10+ times a week. The only problem is that I get bored because I am enjoying a lot of restriction still. So I finish my food and the rest of my party still has a few more courses to go!

NurseG, I totally get it - but let me tell you, the way I feel and the way that I look, there is no way I'm going to be depressed! I'll take my indifference/boredom with food instead of the guilt, shame and overall crappy feeling any day.

Soon, you're going to catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and not recognize yourself. When that happens, you better let us all know!

:)