Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled 3/15...Extremely Nervous!

So I've been reading posts on this forum for months now and am just getting around to setting up an account. I am currently scheduled for surgery on March 15th with Drs. Cabrera and Valenzuela at Mi Doctor Hospital in Tijuana, MX through Mexico Bariatrics. I am mostly nervous right now because I am planning to travel alone and it doesn't help that I have a pretty unsupportive family. My mother has told me I'm selfish for not thinking about the fact that I could die from having this surgery and my beautiful 22 mth old baby girl would have to grow up without her mother (I'm a single mother). My dad has told me I just need to exercise and that weight loss surgery is crazy and the easy way out. My sister doesnt think it makes sense for me to go to Mexico for surgery and especially not by myself but I don't have much of a choice. No one is available to go with me and my insurance will not cover it in the states. At this point, I really just need a bit of encouragement, guidance, prayers, a buddy, something!

What should I pack? Has anyone had surgery with these docs? Any complications? I'm planning to travel in on Thursday. Scheduled for surgery on Friday. Return home on Monday. Back to work on Wednesday. Is that enough time? I can't take off work any longer than that right now. Will I be able to hug/lift my daughter after surgery? What is post op recovery like? Anything in particular I need to be prepared for traveling alone....this is my first time ever going out of the country. \

Hi there! First let me say I think you are very brave and that it sucks that your family is so unsupportive. I can't speak to the sleeve surgery as I haven't had mine yet, I am in the process of having the lap band removed then will get the sleeve surgery. I have heard of and spoken to people who have gone to Mexico for their surgeries though and have not heard many negatives. The only drawback seems to be that there isn't a support group associated to the international surgeons like there for local bariatric surgical offices. Joining a group like this is good though! Have faith in yourself, you are obviously doing this to make a healthier life for yourself and your daughter. You can only do this for you, so try not to listen to the negative comments from your folks. Anyone who thinks making this decision and going through a surgery to lose weight is easy obviously has no idea of what it is like to walk in your shoes. My cousin had the sleeve surgery 3 weeks ago; doctor told her not to lift more than 10 pounds for 3 weeks so likely no lifting but hugging shouldn't be an issue :) Time off work would probably be a good idea but if you have to work just remember to go easy and keep Water and Protein Drinks on hand. My NUT told me hydration and Protein are vital for first few weeks, and through the whole process, but you do not want to get dehydrated! Hopefully someone who has been to Mexico for the surgery can answer more of your questions. Have a safe trip and a very successful surgery.

xaivergirl (holding hand) im a day before you in another part of mx i have five kids and im doing this to be healthy and better mom. all surgery has risk but so does life just walking down then street

xaivergirl (holding hand) im a day before you in another part of mx i have five kids and im doing this to be healthy and better mom. all surgery has risk but so does life just walking down then street

Thank you so much!

I'm praying for safe travel and speedy recoveries for us boh.

Hi Zaviergirl...

I'm a stay at home mom of four boys -1,2,5,7. I havent told anyone here about my surgery so I won't have anyone helping with the kids, bringing over meals, etc. And I'm not sure how I'm going to do it, but I'm having the surgery anyway. I figure everything will work itself out later, but at least I'll be done.

I'm getting the surgery so that someday soon I'll be able to run after them at the park. Right now all I can mange is a half walk, trot, and they deserve so much more than that.

I'm also going to Mexico by myself. You have come to the right place for support. These folks here will listen, give advice, accept you for the decisions you make. Doing the right thing for yourself will be the best thing you've ever done for your baby.

Deborah

xaviergirl06 I'm a single mom too! All the comments your family has made don't surprise me. It seems like they are scared for you, haven't researched this surgery and Mexico like we have and most of all can't relate to the issues we have with our weight and how much we want change and to better ourselves for our families.

I have a dear friend that told me about going to Mexico for WLS last year and the first thing I thought was MEXICO....OMG! I didn't say that to her because I wanted to support her. A year later....here I am, following in her footsteps!

I have several family members that if they knew, would feel the need to give me their opinion without knowing what they are talking about. I briefly mentioned WLS last Thanksgiving and holy cow the opinions I got. I didn't even mention Mexico! They will all know after the fact. Fortunately, my mom is supportive and the one that really counts to me!

Hang in there, we can do this and we will be MUCH better moms for it! The only downside I can see is I'm gonna be such a hottie, people are gonna hate me! LOL :P