Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any locals?

Hi Lynn and Fairy!

I'm still struggling a bit with the exercise. I just seem to find so much else I would rather do. When I exercise with a friend, I always go. I guess I need to make sure I take a friend more often.

The meetings are at St. Francis right next to the doctor's office. I don't think there is a topic on Tuesday night. While they do go on about stuff I already know on Tuesday night, I find the enthusiasm of the newbies contagious. It also reminds me that not long ago I was a newbie and why I am doing this in the first place.

The Wednesday night meeting is also interesting. Dr. Wynn is usually there. (I did attend once and Dr. Peters was there). There are quite a few folks there who have reached their goal and have had plastic surgery. It is also good to go to these meetings because of them. I found that there is a variety of lengths of time folks have been banded or gastric bypass. I have found these meetings also to be helpful. It is very cool to have a doctor there to answer questions.

This week I will go to the Tuesday meeting. I have something else (another meeting with a different group!) on Wednesday.

Welcome back 366. I see by your ticker that you have done great! Don't get discouraged by the slowdown, it happens. You probably have a plateau coming up soon, too. It's tough not to see the scale moving, but your body needs time to adjust every now and again. (I think I may have FINALLY hit the end of my 2 month plateau. Yay!)

And good job on starting the exercise program! It will get easier. You'll go from 10-15 minutes on a slow treadmill to 30 minutes fast with hills in no time. Then you'll want to hop on the elliptical and start the process all over again. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I just had something come up on Wednesday evening, and I won't be able to make it. I was looking forward to it, too. *sigh*

Wow! This thread is really hopping compared to the last time I was on it, lol. I stopped checking because it seemed everyone posted once and then disappeared. It figures, I've been absent from LBT probably since about March and that's when everyone started coming around. I thought I'd check back in and see what's going on.

Hello to everyone on the thread now!! Nice to meet ya!! :smile:

I need to get my butt back to support group meetings. I slacked off over the summer and its so easy to lose your motivation, especially farther out. I find I do better when I go to support groups regularly. I'm a little frustrated at the moment, I just had plastic surgery on July 31st, and due to some complications that extended my recovery I can't exercise yet. :frown: I'm hoping I'll get clearance to at least start doing my arms and legs when I go back on the 12th.

I had to push back my fill with Dr. Irgau because of the complications. I was originally scheduled 9/8 but now I'm scheduled for 9/29. I needed a fill before my PS but man am I glad we waited. The abdominal swelling gave me some really good restriction, too good!!! I'd have been too tight and Dr. Irgau wouldn't have been able to find my port through all the swelling, lol!

I was hoping to do the 5K in December for the Special Olympics that they hold in Newark but I'm not sure now if I'm going to be able to start from scratch here and get enough training in for that. That's my immediate exercise goal (well other than to get started lol). I work crazy hours but may join you ladies on some of your walks if you keep them up. It won't be consistent but it would be fantastic to have some company while I exercise!

Well, it was great to see you guys here, I hope everyone will keep coming around, I will if you will. :redface:

Take care!

welcome stacy

I hope to go to the meeting Weds, night, have some ??? for Dr. wynn

Any one else gonna be there, if so see you there

Thanks Lynn!

Is the meeting a St. Francis meeting or a CHRIAS meeting? I had my surgery at Christiana, would I still be able to attend?

Hiya Fairy, and thanks! :biggrin:

Nope, I don't mind sharing at all. I'm pretty much an open book, lol.

Unfortunately I had some wound healing complications, which are rare and to have the two that I have at the same time is VERY rare. This was my 6th surgery and I never had any complications, wound healing or otherwise with any of the other ones so we didn't expect any with this one either.

As it turns out, I got an infection and my TT incision split open about 8 inches. It had to be left open and packed daily by my Plastic Surgeon till he felt it was stable enough to be resutured, ummmm, can I just say, NOT fun because I was awake for it that time, yikes! I ended up being resutured about 2 weeks after my original surgery so it was like starting all over again. Then, about ten days later, 2-3 inches of it re-split open but thank goodness this time it was superficial and not very deep so I am still doing twice a day dressing changes with neosporin while it heals. It has actually been kinda cool watching it heal, it heals from the inside out. He thinks part of reason this is happening is because I'm still pretty swollen and the swelling can cause the incisions to separate.

I was worried about it messing up my incision line but after he resutured me, you could not even tell it wasnt the original incision. He said this small area will heal up fine and shouldn't mess up the scar line.

Also, underneath my left breast it looks like I had a blister that ran almost along the entire underneath of my breast and popped. We're not sure if I had a reaction to the tape or possibly the sutures used in that area. The skin never came all of the way off so he had to remove it and clean it up. I have to do twice a day dressing changes with neosporin and saline on that area too. It's healing now, I have skin regrowing, it is a spot a little smaller than the palm of your hand and looks like a third degree burn, very raw. It actually doesn't hurt though, which is a good thing, lol! He also said as bad as it looks this won't scar and I have to say where i can see the new skin regrowing and the wound getting smaller, it is NOT scarring!! Yay!!

So, I ended up out of work 5 weeks rather than the 2 that I had planned for and was on bedrest the entire time so as not to strain the abdominal incisions. I've just been back to work for a week now and fortunately, I am healing.

Even with the above mess, I'd do it again in a minute. Once this swelling goes down, I will have a flat stomach. It's kinda funny, I look about 4-5months pregnant. I am still swollen in my midriff area, above my incision line but the swelling is gone under my incision line (above pubic area) and below my breasts. I'm still wearing my binder and the swelling can last anywhere from 4-12 months though most people's have resolved around 6 mths or so. I'm anxious to see my final results but even now, it is an amazing difference and I already LOVE the changes to my body even though I'm not done healing and still have a lot of abdominal swelling.

And, my port scar is gone, woooooooo hoooooooooo! I was thrilled with that, I never liked that scar, lol. He had to move my port some though when he stitched the abdominal muscles. I probably should have asked for a low profile port but I didn't think of it ahead of time. I think I feel it, hopefully Dr. Irgau won't have a problem finding it when I go in the end of the month. At least he knows it won't be where he left it, lol.

Geesh, that was a novel, lol. Sorry, I hope that wasn't too much information. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask, as you can see, I don't mind sharing and I'm happy to help if I can.

Take care!! :D

Thanks Lynn!

Is the meeting a St. Francis meeting or a CHRIAS meeting? I had my surgery at Christiana, would I still be able to attend?

I had my surgery at Christian with Dr. Wynn and go to meetings for both groups.

Ooof. You have been through the wringer with this surgery. I'm glad you are pleased with your results, though.

I'm scared to death of doing the LBL/TT. But I can't wait to get rid of this belly. I think I want to do my arms first, though.

It's actually kind of psyching me out. Kind of like "let's lose all this weight so that I can have a big, scary surgery. Woohoo!". :biggrin:

Hi Fairy,

Yes, even though I still have lots of healing left to do, I'm very pleased. It's strange looking down and seeing my lap rather than my big ole belly that used to be there, that takes some getting used to!

I think they do a TT as part of the LBL though I could be mistaken about that. That would be a lot nicer for you, you'd only have to have one procedure done! I would recommend renting a lift chair from Rent-A-Center when you go get it done, that and a raised toilet seat will make your life so much easier!

My mom had her arms done and they turned out really nice. I know what you mean about the belly though, I was miserable, that was what got me over the fear of the plastic surgery.

Don't psych yourself out over having PS, you'll drive yourself nuts!!!! Just think of it as another stage in your adventure to becoming a more beautiful and healthier you. :biggrin:

Hey everyone!

Good to see the board is a little active now. I went to the meeting last night and it was pretty good. I would advise anyone to go to the support group meetings, they always revv me up! They are a good source of information.

Stacy, I think someone answered this, but St. Francis support group meetings are open to anyone. Christiana charges $5 a meeting if you did not have surgery with them.

I'm thrilled because I think I have finally hit the "sweet spot". The weight it dropping off me pretty good. It took me a while to drop the first size. I may go down another because my pants are falling down. I spend a lot of the day hiking my pants up! What a good feeling. There was a lady at the meeting last night who said "I finally believe this will work". She took the words right out of my mouth!

Actually, my arms would be the first thing I had done if I get plastic surgery....if I get a choice. The belly flap has rashes and such, so my insurance company just might pay for that. The arm flaps are embarassing. I don't wear sleeveless shirts and even short sleeve ones are getting embarassing. I think I will have to look for an undergarment for the arms, if there is such a thing.

I'm getting to the point where I'm looking at the regular sizes wondering what I will wear next summer. It looks like the sleeves in regular sizes are cut really high. I'm definitely going to have a problem with that. My arms are huge.

Of course, regular size shirts are shorter, too. So I'm sure that I'll have a harder time covering the belly as well.

Hi Everyone!

Fairy - I have been doing the same. Unless I get tightened up, I'll be wearing some creative outfits. I am beginning to think I may make some of my own stuff. I like longer shirts and the 1/2 to 3/4 sleeves. I could wear the jeans and stuff that are out there, but the tops will have to cover the excess skin. Guess I have to be better at doing some exercises to tighten the skin and muscle underneath.

I hit a landmark today and I AM THRILLED!!! I am so happy with my decision to get the band!