Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bands eroded, slipped or still successful bands?

How is your band?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How is your band?

• Band is fine, no complications so far
    • Band was removed for reasons other than erosion/slip
    • Band slipped but unfill repaired it
    • Band slipped, I was rebanded
    • Band slipped, removed, no new band
    • Band slipped, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • Band eroded, unfill repaired it
    • Band eroded, removed, no new band or other revision
    • Band eroded, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • At 1 year or more my band isn't working, not losing

Let us keep asking questions of each other. I trust that a "true" picture of the Lap-Band will show up. Problems to be aware of and ways to better health are both great information. Somebody smart said "Knowledge is Power" and I like reading the Knowledge that others are willing to share. What works for others may not work for me. But I thank each and everyone of you for sharing your experiences. Being Fat and Alone is a challange that lots of us face. This form has helped me and will help others. I viewed this form for a long time before ever placing a post. All sides of the questions are talked about, All of you a great resource. Lets keep talking.

Mine is still going strong one year post op...May it stay that way!

:) becky

One again LBT has really been informational. I am learning a lot about follow up care from this poll. I will definitely be getting my endoscopes as I get further post-op. Will have to be much further post-op than now, since I haven't been banded yet!

I agree with what geezersue said,

I read that if the pateint has not lost 25% of excess weight after 2 years thats a band faliour. So even with no complications it can take upto two years to get a good picture of what band results are.

I also am curious as to why surgery providers usually only offer a 1 years after care package if the band is and should last a lifetime? If the statistics showed better long term results i think they would be confidently able to offer a longer after care package with the knowledge that complications are rare. sadly there not and by the time problems develope the patients after care package has expired.

So far 30 people with probs and 80 with none thats almost half allready even with a small flawed survey the results speak for them selfs.

But you are in a minority in the UK after care is normal to be one year and 2 band adjustments for private patients. I am a NHS patient i have life long after care. My life that is not the band if my band was to be removed tomorrow for what ever reason treatment for my obesity would continue. Were as if i was a private patient and my band had to be removed tomorrow. I would have to fund that band removal and i would have lost a huge amount of money and prob be no better off for it.

Statistically after care packages are 12 months, You do know that i am sure and in europe were they have been doing banding for many years they are seeing long term results and like geezersue said the problems are usually 2 years +.

Fortuantly some people never experience problems but thats not the case for a lot of bandsters. Thats not to say the band should be totally written off. Just that the facts and figures are there and no amount of individuals saying im fine changes the statistics that the band has a reported 30+ faliour rate. and high complication rate long term.

Would seem the smooth riders are begining to be the minority.

Paige

I must ask how you arrive at your idea that banding is a failure? Everyone of us dies so we can say life is a failure? Give up now and save yourself all the suffering.

Banded 10/31/06

356/231/209

Surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Genaw

Henry Ford Hospital

weight.png

So far 30 people with probs and 80 with none thats almost half allready even with a small flawed survey the results speak for them selfs.

You must be misguided, reread the survey. You math is also in question.

30 plus 80 equal 110, 30 is 27% of 110, Half is 50%, almost half is bad math.:faint:

The small flawed survey the you are talking about speakes for itself. The band works fine most of the time.

Wishing you all the best in this new year.

I'm at 21 months with the band, no complications at all so far. I feel lucky and hope for no problems in the future.

Hello

This message is for the people that had erosion. How did you know that you were eroded? What procedure was performed to determine this?

I suspected a problem when I started gaining weight.

It was confirmed with a barium swallow and flouroscopy at my fill appointment.

About the time I stopped losing, I had some left sided abdominal aches and pains. They usually came and went, sometimes leaving me feeling sore for a day. Because they came and went, I overlooked them, hopeful that they were nothing...apparently they weren't.

Hello Pam

Thanks so much for the info. I had a fill done a few weeks ago here in Thornton Co and the Dr informed Fill Centers that he suspected that I have band erosion.....yet he never said a word about it to me during the fill. I dismissed it thinking that he didn't know what he was talking about.

I have a fill scheduled for April 26th in TJ. This is my biggest fear....band erosion.

How much did it cost you to have the band removed? I paid for this procedure out of my own pocket....paying for it to be removed will be a real hardship for me.

thanks

Originally Banded - March 4, 2005

Where - Melbourne, Australia

Rebanded due to Slippage - November 10, 2006

Could u help me, how it feels when the band is slippage??

and Erosion? What happens, how many times people can stay with band problems like that?