Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bands eroded, slipped or still successful bands?

How is your band?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How is your band?

• Band is fine, no complications so far
    • Band was removed for reasons other than erosion/slip
    • Band slipped but unfill repaired it
    • Band slipped, I was rebanded
    • Band slipped, removed, no new band
    • Band slipped, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • Band eroded, unfill repaired it
    • Band eroded, removed, no new band or other revision
    • Band eroded, revised to bypass, sleeve or switch
    • At 1 year or more my band isn't working, not losing

I am so sorry. How long have you been banded? I am also curious as to the symtons you had compared to mine. When people tell me I took the easy way out with this weight loss procedure I could scream. This is NOT EASY. Be well. Keep in touch, please.

Fran

hi....i have been banded 2 and a half years....mine was more the vomiting at night....pains in the back....and really strange gurgling noises....that made me think something was wrong.

Im sorry to hear about yours as well. I dont know what to do.....if i should get another one put in or not...confused

Mummy - I definately know what you are talking about. I have been unfilled for 18 mos and still cannot eat "good" food. I am in the process of having the band removed although it does scare me a bit but I cannot go on eating this junk food and sacrificing my health. "Since the unfill, things have been better but I still find things get stuck and I spend time over the sink regurgitating saliva etc."

Good luck to you.

Cheryl

I have only had mine 10 months, but I'm having it removed next Thursday. I've puked every day since I got it. I had a barium swallow a couple of days ago, and there's nothing wrong with my band or it's position. It's been completely defilled for months and still I puke. My Dr. is flummoxed. His suspicion is that I don't have the upper GI peristaltic strength to push food through the band, meaning that even liquids pool on top of it until I throw it all up again. Whatever the reason, I've never felt so unhealthy - I eat constantly in tiny nibbles, mostly soft crap, to avoid getting sick. I gave up on weight loss months ago - not that I ever lost a single ounce, because I haven't - but compared to feeling well again, weightloss just doesn't rate at this point. I can't believe I'll still be paying for the surgery long after I'm unbanded, I had such high hopes for this. But I'm finished crying, it's time to move on.

Winter Wish, I am so sorry that this happened to you. I can't imagine what it must be like to pay for the band and then have it not work.

Hang in there. I hope you are healthy again, soon.

thank you, Hastings.

When I look back, I could have known that this wasn't going to work, because I was never one to stuff myself anyway. I'm a grazer, and the band doesn't stop that. I wish they had done more than a 10 minute interview with me, maybe had me journal my meals for a couple of weeks. and then it would have been clear that I don't eat large meals. But who knows if I would have been honest with them? I thought I wanted this magic tool so badly. I'm fortunate I have a great family and husband, all of whom want it out of me, more than I wanted it in me, in the first place. I'm hoping that just the switch back to solid Proteins and salads and generally healthy eating will be all I need to start losing weight. Oh, and I bought a big dog that needs plenty of walks.

I too am getting the band out - I just can't put up with this any longer. My date is June 17th and I can't wait. I can't wait to be able to eat breakfast again. I am usually so hungry by lunch time that it's ridiculous - drinks and such don't touch the sides- but when I am trying to eat a beautiful chicken salad that is so healthy and good for me and it gets stuck and I sit in pain waiting for it to pass through I know I am making the right decision. This has made me so determined to get the rest of my weight off using a different method - other diets work but I haven't stuck to them - this time will be very different because I feel like I have been on the worst diet of my life for the last 9 months. My jaw is without a doubt the strongest part of my body with all the work it has done chewing chewing and then chewing some more and I can't wait to never have to deal with this bloody shoulder pain again. Let me know how you go with your removal winter- I am hoping to only miss one week of basketball and be back into it again. I do not want this band to rob me of one more minute of happiness. I can't wait to be DEBANDED!!!biggrin.gif

Mummy -

I had my band removed on June 5th and I cant tell you how great it feels to eat and drink without vomiting! But also scary being out in the real food world again.

Stella, I am so happy for you. I know the real food world is scary but I think you are like me - it is not a way to live, regurgitating saliva, being in pain with eating etc etc. We can do it without a piece a plastic around our stomach - it's our brain that needs the help and this shocking experience has certainly bought my brain into line - (and if not I am going to go and get someone to hypnotise me and tell my subconscious that chocolate tastes like dog food and broccoli is the new chocolate cake.)- Tell me how bad was the removal surgery - recovery time etc Next Tuesday is me and I CAN"T WAIT!!!! I am so excited. By the way - your photo is great - you don't even look overweight - certainly no extra chins - We can do this a hell of a lot healthier and less painfully without a lap band.

Stella, I had mine out on June 13, and I know what you mean! What a luxury to eat healthy, quality foods again! I am strangely satisfied between meals still, and I still chew chew chew like I'm afraid to swallow - I was wondering if this was because my stomach was still a funny shape? How long do you suppose it takes to go back to normal? Also, I've lost 4 pounds in the 4 days since surgery, and I couldn't be happier. Except for all these crazy scars reminding me it happened, the whole lapband chapter of my life is feeling oddly unreal right now.

Stella, I had mine out on June 13, and I know what you mean! What a luxury to eat healthy, quality foods again! I am strangely satisfied between meals still, and I still chew chew chew like I'm afraid to swallow - I was wondering if this was because my stomach was still a funny shape? How long do you suppose it takes to go back to normal? Also, I've lost 4 pounds in the 4 days since surgery, and I couldn't be happier. Except for all these crazy scars reminding me it happened, the whole lapband chapter of my life is feeling oddly unreal right now.

Wish - I find myself chewing and afraid to swallow certain foods too. In the first couple of days I was spitting the meat out , out of habit and that was really hard to stop. It really has been a surreal experience this whole lapband thing. Just glad I lost the weight and hoping its not as hard to keep it off!.. Excellent that you have lost weight! I just have to remember that 3-4 bites used to fill me up and I dont need to devour the whole plate of food. I've been reading the "Eat Clean Diet" and will try to follow.

Mummy - thank you for the compliment. I'm sure you've had your surgery by now and see that it is not that bad. My biggest issue is feeling bloated and even more bloated after I eat.......

I am officially DEBANDED as well and I am so happy about it. It wasn't too bad at all. Unfortunately I was sharing a room with a poor women who had just had a lap band put in and she was in so much pain and felt like she had been hit my a truck. I felt so sorry for her and I just hope this thing works out for her because I can honestly say that I am so glad to be rid of it. I ate Breakfast this morning - Cereal and grapes and I cried because I was so happy to be able to eat in the morning without pain or something getting stuck. I have missed breakfast so much. For me it's just not a way to live. lunch today was amazing - I was able to eat at a normal pace and because I think I wasn't sitting there waiting for ages for stuff to pass through - I was full within half a plate - that hasn't happened before - I usually just want to keep eating but I'm in so much pain that I stop. I now feel so positive and happy and I too have no doubt that the whole band experience will fade from memory very soon.

Stella,

I'm definately feeling that bloated feeling now, too. It's 2 weeks tomorrow since my band was removed - and by the way they butchered my scars this time (I think they paid me back for quitting and ruining their stats!), I am left with deep, puckered creases versus the smooth, almost invisible ones I had after getting the band in the first place. Anyway, the bloating bothers me, and I'm drinking gallons trying to deal with it, which seems to lead to heartburn. **sigh** Life back in the real world, eh?

It has been 18 days since band removal. The removal was more difficult than the placement because of scar tissue, I had to have an open surgery. No fun. Also have developed a seroma. Still eating as if I had the band. I get full much quicker. Best Wishes to Everyone.