Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of cup are you drinking from?

I was sleeved on Feb.26 and have been getting my liquids in using a shot glass size cup. I'm wondering if I can use a regular size cup? I haven't experienced any problems this far and wanted to know if I can use a regular size cup and maybe even a straw.

I drank from a little one ounce cup for the first week or so just so I could track how many ounces I was taking in and to get used to taking smaller sips. After that I switched to a normal cup with no problems. I dont use straws though. I was told that they put too much added air in the already really small tummy and I didnt want any gas problems. I actually stuck with warm liquids because my tummy would spasm with cold liquids so I got hooked on hot green tea from the start. Congrats on your sleeve :)

As long as you're careful about the size of the sips your taking, I don't see why not. From the 1st day home, I've been using my Big Gulp mug, since it's insulated and I can keep my drink cold for hours. But I was very careful about the amount I was sipping each swallow. I threw up once in the hospital from drinking too much too fast, didn't want to do that again!

Yeah...those squishy plactic hospital pill cups were not good but i really like the 1 oz measuring shot glasses best ...available at Walmart or bed bath & beyond. I used them a week or so then moved to a water bottle, glass or cup for tea. I did not drinl soda so never was hooked on a straw so its easy to avoid them. I took no chances with a straw since doc said no.

I drank from a little one ounce cup for the first week or so just so I could track how many ounces I was taking in and to get used to taking smaller sips. After that I switched to a normal cup with no problems. I dont use straws though. I was told that they put too much added air in the already really small tummy and I didnt want any gas problems. I actually stuck with warm liquids because my tummy would spasm with cold liquids so I got hooked on hot green tea from the start. Congrats on your sleeve :)

Do you sweeten your tea?

Yeah...those squishy plactic hospital pill cups were not good but i really like the 1 oz measuring shot glasses best ...available at Walmart or bed bath & beyond. I used them a week or so then moved to a Water bottle' date=' glass or cup for tea. I did not drinl soda so never was hooked on a straw so its easy to avoid them. I took no chances with a straw since doc said no.[/quote']

I have not had soda in 7 years. I used to love drinking Water through a straw. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to drinking without one, but it'll be ok.

I have not had soda in 7 years. I used to love drinking Water through a straw. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to drinking without one' date=' but it'll be ok.[/quote']

Many go right ahead and continue with a staw. Im just a rule follower by nature but so far, i have followed my drs rules and have had super success. I think the most important thing is to be able to measure what liquid is going in, not over do the size of the sip while your incision is healing, and to prevent tummy gas. I could do all those with a regular cup or glass so moved to what worked for me.

Do you sweeten your tea?

I known your question was to bunny but thought id chime in... Hot tea was always a fave of mine but now my new stomach just loves the warmth. It really helps me keep my fluids high. I like green, white, oolong, chammomile and even straight hot water! I like it fairly weak so if using a kcup, i use two smalls which is 16 oz....requires a big mug. I like it with no sweetner. A tea bag in a regular coffe cp is just too strong and tends to make people want to add a sweetner.. Again, i head for those big mugs.

I have a Water bottle that holds 33oz and I know I have to drink at least 2 of those a day. I lose count if I have to go by cups, etc. and I'm not using a straw til I'm 8 weeks out (1more week) then I plan on using one. I drink more when it's thru a straw.

I known your question was to bunny but thought id chime in... Hot tea was always a fave of mine but now my new stomach just loves the warmth. It really helps me keep my fluids high. I like green' date=' white, oolong, chammomile and even straight hot water! I like it fairly weak so if using a kcup, i use two smalls which is 16 oz....requires a big mug. I like it with no sweetner. A tea bag in a regular coffe cp is just too strong and tends to make people want to add a sweetner.. Again, i head for those big mugs.[/quote']

Thank you for sharing! I'm heading to my kitchen now to make some chamomile tea & will use 2 K-cups. Thanks!!

Thank you for sharing! I'm heading to my kitchen now to make some chamomile tea & will use 2 K-cups. Thanks!!

Hold the phone... Not two k cups.. One but hit small 2 times! Double the Water.< /p>

Hold the phone... Not two k cups.. One but hit small 2 times! Double the Water.< /p>

I had 2 K cups independently..lol. One was green tea and the other was peppermint green tea. Still sipping on the 2nd cup.

Oh well... The main thing with this process is to figure what works for you! Im in the east where theres a huge snow sorm today so i am off work and sitting around home sipping hot hot tea and watching the flakes fall! Have a super day!

use a regular size cup? use a straw.????

two_boysmom

sleeved 2 weeks - how are you feeling in general???

sounds like all is going well

if you are having no problems with drinking - i see no reason not to use a "regular" cup/glass

using a straw???

hmmmmm - check with your NUT/surgeon

the straw was nixed for me - but all docs and nuts are different

whats good for the goose, might NOT be good for the gander!!! :)

take care

continue good luck

I started with the little hospital cups, but it was within days that I switched to an insulated 10 oz cup that has a lid. I call it my big girl sippy cup. I actually have 2 of them and a 24 oz one too. I take the 24 oz one when I'm headed out in the car. And use the 16 oz ones when I'm at home. Having the lid with the small opening helped me not gulp the Water.

You sound like you're doing well. Yay!!!! for you.