Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation question for Post Opers

I was wondering anyone's opinion who has already had their surgery. My husband and I are suppose to be taking my in-laws away the middle of May. My surgery is scheduled for April 2nd, do you think I will be up to it by then or should we re-schedule the date since it hasn't been booked yet? We are planning on taking them to an island in the caribbean for an anniversay gift to them but I'm thinking maybe we should postpone it? Do you guys feel you were up to it a month after surgery? Any opinions would be appreciated before we book it, thanks.

Kari

I would think you would be more ready by a couple of months out. By then, you should be mostly on "regular" food and hopefully, even eating small bites of steak or lean ground beef, which should help with eating out. You should be ready for more walking and your energy level should also be higher by then. I would say to ask your surgeon when you see him.

I went to Disneyland for 3 days with the husband and children 6 weeks out from surgery..

It was fine, I walked all day long and rode all the rides..I did get tired a lot but I managed.

Now food.. I would look at what stage you will be in at that point and make sure you have what you need. Needless to say I didn't eat any of the park food, I brought my own.

I think six weeks out is likely to be a bit tight. I'd chat with your surgeon as well. That's still a hard time for many folks and if you are on purees or soft foods it might be hard to find enough to eat.

I don't think there's any way you could know for sure. Some people (luckily me included) are back to totally normal after a few days, but that's not guarenteed by any means. Some people are in awful shape for weeks. It's a gamble!

I was having my second surgery at that time. I guess my perspective is that to leave the country during the highest risk period would be iffy at best, not to mention a pain because of lifting and activity restrictions as well as food issues. I'd push it to two months minimum when you are off of most restrictions and are likely feeling more normal. It's a trip of a lifetime you should enjoy to it's fullest. A couple of weeks makes a huge difference post surgery.

I'm just thinking about the swimming thing. I was told 6 - 8 weeks ... unless you're OK with not swimming the ENTIRE time you are in the Caribbean ...

I planned a summer trip also 2 months after surgery. I asked if it would be OK to ride roller coaster and she told me anything after 30 days would be OK.

If all goes well during your surgery then you will be fine. I was cleared for swimming at 4 weeks. The salt Water will be good for the incisions. If it was me I would push it out to when you are 3-4 months post op. You'll be strutting your stuff then! (and posing for the cameras). You could even treat yourself to a cocktail then and order starters/entrees and not have to worry so much when eating out :)

At eight weeks out, we went on vacation to Hawaii for ten days with our 1,2, and 4 year old children. Came home and two weeks later went to Lake Tahoe. I swam in the ocean and snorkeled in Hawaii and slid down the hills on a sled in Tahoe. Being 40 pounds lighter, I enjoyed every minute of it! Also, came back 10 pounds lighter from Hawaii, just ate lots of chicken over there.

You will have fun, enjoy!

Thank you all so much for your input..I think after reading everyone's opinions I am going to postpone it a few months..I didn't even think about the "swimming" issue and that is definitely a MUST on vacation! LOL..I also don't want to spend all this money and then not enjoy it either and take that chance..I guess it's better to be safe then sorry..Thanks..

Since you have the opportunity to schedule vacation at any time, I would wait a bit longer, then perhaps you will be on regular food and you won't have to worry about any of the food issues.

First, I would check with your surgeon. My experience - I still tired easily at 6 weeks; felt great but didn't have a lot of "go." Also I suggest you be on solid food so you won't have worries about purree. Just my opinion. Everyone is different. A friend of mine went on a Mediterranian cruise at 6 weeks! Whenever you go - have a great time and enjoy the sun!

Thanks Shotzee, I think I should wait and yes I can't wait and definitely am looking forward to some beach and sun time!