Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

But I hate exercising!

:) Hey all.

I had another visit with my Dietician this past Saturday. I left there with a head full of information; how my metobolism works, etc. He told me, after my test results (some breathing machine), that I have a high metabolism, so I burn fat before carbs in my body. Anyway - he stressed over and over how I MUST work out; and strength training is super important. He also told me that the test revealed how much of a sedentary life I lead. No kidding. Don't get me wrong; I love to go dance, swim, bike, etc. But where I live; considering the winters - not to mention the bears, I won't be out for walks anytime soon. My point is; I HATE to work out. I hate the whole going to the gym idea. I know that I must excercise after being banded...and it terrifies me, b/c if I don't get the workouts in, all of this will be for nothing. I know I should find something that i like to do; a disguised way of excercising. I have a treadmill; and hope to get on it for 4 days a week to start; maybe a mile a day to start. Will that benefit me? As for weight lifting/strenght training...I have no idea. I keep thinking I'll join curves - but last time Idid that I never felt like I was getting a workout; never broke a sweat. HELP!!!

**Too bad I didn't get a work out from shopping. hehehe

Yeah start off with the treadmill and from there work your ways up. Maybe you could set it up so you could watch TV while you workout. Goodluck!!

sherilynn -

I hate to exercise, too. That is why I'm fat. I have an elliptical machine in my living room. A $2,400 elliptical machine. But in order not to be fat I know that I have to get my fat butt up on that thing for 30 - 60 minutes per day to burn some calories.

For me it's a daily struggle, but I have been up at 5am (cussing the whole way) and forcing myself to get up on that b*tch and ride it ride it ride it. I slap my thighs and talk to the cakes and pudding and pies that are in there. I rub my belly and tell those baked potatoes and plates of nachos they gotta come out. And I sweat. And I swear. And sometimes I whine and cry. But I do it.

I figure I don't have to like it. But I do realize the importance of exercise. And even though I hate it, once I get going it's not so bad. I know that it's helping me extend my life, breathe easier, strengthen my bones and muscles, and make me a healthier person. I love me enough to do something that I don't want to do. And in the long run that's all that matters.

Just do it. Babystep your way up to a mile. Even if you go 10 or 15 minutes to start, that's a step in the right direction. Put on some music that gets you pumped up or put a portable tv in front of the treadmill so you can watch tv while you walk. Realize that you're worth the pain and sacrifice of exercise and walk your azz off, girlie! You can do it! :)

Nathalie

I agree...starting with the treadmill is a great starting place. For me, the key is not to go so overboard that I hate it after a few days. So, set small goals at first and keep working toward a better, longer workout.

Maybe the first week shoot for 15 minutes 3 or 4 times per week. Then the next week shoot for 20 or 25 minutes etc. This way you are moving you Buns plus you're accomplishing a goal.

Honestly...I hated exercising too at first. But once you get yourself in a groove you'll start to physically and emotionally feel better plus because you'll be mastering goals like 20 mins X 4 days a week (something manageable) you'll also gain confidence in your ability to improve your fitness which will motivate you to keep setting new goals!

You'll get there!

This is why you have to find some activity that is not "called" excersizing. Take a dance class, take tae kwon do or Judo, do anything that get you active and moving. Learn to kyak, or chop wood or learn to play cricket! It doesn't have to be something like walking on a tread mill or going to a gym... those are not for everyone, take a class in something you think you might enjoy! http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

There's not tactful way to say it really - you have to get off your behind and do some exercise, whether you hate it or not.

But it doesnt have to be in a gym. You can exercise in any manner you please.

And lying around being lazy only makes you feel more lazy. The more exercise you do, the more energy you have. It really does pay ample rewards if you stick with it.

Your talking to the Queen of hating exercise here "ME." I agree with Vines, you must do something that is not labeled "Exercise," dancing for one is so much fun and the time goes fast.

During the summer I was swimming and riding my bike, loving it but now, nodda...and we have an eliptical and treadmill and weights and video's... ick.

Wish i had the magic words to help you :girl_hug: (and myself)

Hey All - Thank you so many many times over for your words of encouragement and support. I suppose I will have to rely on support like this until that magical day comes (the day I realize this excercise is good for me).

I am setting baby goals; parking farther from the door, etc. I have to get out and get myself a pair of comfy sneakers; another way to movtivate me.

Thanks everyone!

I am glad to read this thread. I have had a hard time getting my butt up and moving. I am losing weight, but only by eating less and very little movement. I know once I get going, it won't be so bad. But....... I gotta get going first, right?!

Ugh. Sherilynn, good luck to you. I hope we both get going soon.

Exercise is crucial. Increasing the quality of your muscle mass will automatically increase your metabolism.

I own a gym similar to Curves. The benefits from a 30 minute circuit workout depends on YOU! The fact that you didn't break out a sweat is because you didn't put enough effort into your routine. If you are not using speed on the equipment then you have no intensity, you also have to get quite aerobic on the recovery stations....most of my members work up a very good sweat because they know that just going through the motions gets you no workout benefits at all. Why not give Curves another try.....but remember, the workout is only as good as you make it.

Carol

I have the beginning stages of Osteoporosis, and my doctor asked me the other day if I was exercising, and I said of course, he said, "I think you nose is starting to grow", snagged.

Boy do I hate exercise too. I'm worried that if I don't shift my thinking my weight loss will really slow down. I'm with you 100%. I need to get my butt moving. Good luck.

Hey All - Thank you so many many times over for your words of encouragement and support. I suppose I will have to rely on support like this until that magical day comes (the day I realize this excercise is good for me).

I am setting baby goals; parking farther from the door, etc. I have to get out and get myself a pair of comfy sneakers; another way to movtivate me.

Thanks everyone!

Sherilynn -

Know what else helps me? What I call "Reward Goals."

If I exercise 10 days straight I buy myself a CD.

If I exercise 20 days straight I'll get myself a book or a massage.

The more consecutive days I exercise in a row, I reward myself with something that I want, but wouldn't otherwise allow myself to buy. Things that are treats for me.

I also do it with weight loss. I have my reward chart all set up for hitting weight milestones. They are usually in 10 or 15 pound losses.

Good luck!

Nat

Excercising isnt my hobby as well...I just told myself that I have to do that and I just go to the gym...afterwards I fell good because I know that I overgone my laziness...and did something good for myself...truly said if you have this attitude it wont help just tell yourself that you have to do it and leave the negative feelings behind...its not easy but it helps:-)

without excercise you wont lose weight in healthy weight and dont forget that the skin might be hanging from you more than if you excercise