Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm thirsty all the time!

Im so thirsty all the time but I can't seem to get my liquids in. I can only take a few sips and then i feel horrible pressure on my chest. I wish I could just chug a huge glass of ice water! Even my protien drinks take me a while to get down. I was sleeved 2/14/13. Anyone else experience this? What should I do?

Im so thirsty all the time but I can't seem to get my liquids in. I can only take a few sips and then i feel horrible pressure on my chest. I wish I could just chug a huge glass of ice water! Even my protien drinks take me a while to get down. I was sleeved 2/14/13. Anyone else experience this? What should I do?

I know exactly how u feel .....OMG I do! !!! But trust me it gets better it literally get better a day at a time here are some tips ....get some smart Water or super charged Water these have all the gud electrolytes with out the sugar...have this bottle with you everywhere u go I mean everywhere take 1-3 sips every few minutes every chance you get as many times you in fact every time you look at the bottle keep doing that and before you know it the thirst will be gone and u will have formed a habit of keeping your self hydrated and you can pour about 2-4 oz of power aid (blue one was best for me) over ice and let it sit a second and use it as the jump start to the sipping method I gave u its like a miracle it really does get better before u notice lol sip sip sip and sip do the same with your Protein also it may be best to sip warm to room temperature water in the beginning it does not "shock" your stomach much and may be more tolerable get creative try sobe water and lemon water be careful and read the label tho .....I wish you many blessings and hope I could help in some way keep SIPPING IT WILL BE THE BEST HABIT YOULL EVER HAVE! !!! SIP SIP AND THEN SIP AGAIN ;-)

Try drinking tea I always do better with warm stuff

There is someone on here that I am now friends with who was back in the hospital for dehydration. She said the biggest advice she could give me is that Water is more important than Protein the first 3 weeks or so. Gatorade, G2, will be your best friend. I am taking some and freezing it and then making ice chips with it for electrolytes! Good luck!

The first few weeks are the roughest. It's a job just meeting the basic reqirements for protien and fluids, for sure! As long as you are keeping it down, the best advice I can give you is sip all the time (of course, not within 30 minutes of eating).

I used to drink lots of Water before surgery, and was surprised I had a hard time getting it down afterwards. I didn't like it plain Water as much....so I bought several types of additives like MIO, the Crystal light liquid, and even store brand flavor enhancers. Some have Vitamins, too. I like them because you just squirt it in, so it makes it easy to flavor to taste. I don't like it too sweet, so I add a little less.

I also found a couple of flavored waters at the store that I love. My favorite is MetroMint - they have a chocolate mint flavored water I really like. No sugar, sweetener, or carbination, just the most subtle hint of flavor. I think it's expensive (about $2 a bottle) but it's a nice treat. It's in the organic section at my grocery store, and I've seen it at whole foods, too. Hint is another brand that is also very good.

Anyway, just keep sipping and get as much in as possible. I'm about 11 weeks out now, and I have no trouble getting fluids in anymore. You'll be surprised at how it changes when the swelling goes down. Good luck!

Thanks everone for your input! :)

sugar free popsicles saved my life! I don't know if it was helping with stomach swelling or what.. but I was able to eat those no problem. I was sleeved on 2/12. I'm surprised you're still having trouble with that. I'm eating soft Protein now.

Cyndra, I too was sleeved on the 14th. Although I've been released to cream Soups if I eat them I don't get my fluids. I have found though if my Fluid intake is warm such as Decaf tea or coffee I can get my minimum intake of 60 oz. It has to be decaf though cuz caffein is a diuretic and will only compound the problem.

Can you have low fat ice cream in the liquid phase?

Can you have low fat ice cream in the liquid phase?

The psychiatrist and Nurse Practitioner at our last support group meeting strongly advised against any ice cream! They said it is the main trigger that lead people to fail with the surgery and/or regain the weight. A "slippery slope" is what they called it, since it's a slider.

I was sleeved a week before you and that has been my only complaint, is I can not shake this overwhelming thirst. I can not drink the volume by brain is screaming that I need, I sip and fight the urge to keep drinking. I know I am not getting in more then 24 ounces day, despite constant efforts. My mouth is dry, and I know I am dehydrated. I always have Water near by but I still have to sip and wait, and 8 sips and hour is the limit before I vomit. This really scares me, but my nut had no advice just what i already do 'sip and wait'.

Try a gas-x pill and see if it allows you to drink more water...

I was sleeved a week before you and that has been my only complaint' date=' is I can not shake this overwhelming thirst. I can not drink the volume by brain is screaming that I need, I sip and fight the urge to keep drinking. I know I am not getting in more then 24 ounces day, despite constant efforts. My mouth is dry, and I know I am dehydrated. I always have Water near by but I still have to sip and wait, and 8 sips and hour is the limit before I vomit. This really scares me, but my nut had no advice just what i already do 'sip and wait'.[/quote']

I too am thirsty all the time. Thank goodness for sf popsicles and Jello. They counted as fluids. So does the Protein Drinks. I'm 8 weeks out and still want to chug down a glass of Water.< /p>

I'm always thirsty probably cuz of my other Meds and could chug over 100 oz per day pre-op. Two tricks: SF Popsicles and Ice cubes.

Some folks freeze crystal light for oce

drink