Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did a search and was unable to find this topic previously mentioned, so forgive me of there is an existing thread, but...

I'm trying to compile a list of things that aren't allowed post-op. And further, if they're not allowed forever or just until things heal.

Drinking out of a straw

Not allowed post-op. How far out before you can drink from a straw again?

Celery

I've heard some people say the fibers of celery can get "tangled in the staple line," but the staple line is outside the stomach. So, can anyone clarify this? And again, not allowed forever?

Citrus fruit

I've heard that the pith is too hard to digest after surgery. How long until you can eat pulp and pith?

I'll speak with my surgeon next time I see him, but I thought the lovely folks of VST might like to chime in. And feel free to add more items to the "not allowed" list!! =)

A "bad attitude" definitely should not be allow post-op... Especially since you're going to be looking and feeling great! :)

I am seven weeks post op...so far their have not been any foods that have bothered me. I had a pc of celery yesterday and felt ok. I did accidentaly drink out of a straw the other day and did ok....I will try to stick to that one. I just get full quickly. Good luck

I had a lot of questions about the drinking from a straw. I never heard of the celery thing. Also, a big one is no chewing gum. The straw thing has to do with you accidentally swallowing air as you drink from a straw. Also, not being able to tell how big of a drink you take when you drink from a straw. I have found both of these to be true. Now personally, I had to try this to see if it was true...yes, it is true, at least for me, lol. I began reintroducing straws around 2 months I think. I still am cautious about drinking from them and conciously only take small sips from them. I still prefer to drink from the sides of a glass instead of through a straw.

I heard citrus fruit, and it has more to do I think with the acidity. I also found this out to be true. I didn't eat citrus, but rather I tried to drink orange juice, and than around 1 month I tried to drink fresh squeezed limeade. WOW did both of those burn and make my stomach curdle! I think it's because we are not producing enough stomach acis to digest the harsh acidity of these yet.

Another one is coffee or caffine. Again this has to do with acidity, but also because for many, caffine is a hunger stimulant, and for some they add many empty calories to their coffee to drink it. I have not really had any coffee in any mass amount since surgery, but I have a bad black tea addiction. Caffine or not, I'm sorry, I could not break away from my lipton brisk iced tea. I'm not a big 'sweet drinker' so getting liquids in with my iced tea has been my life saver. I don't think caffine has ever been a hunger stimulant for me, and in fact is a bit of the opposite. Another thing with caffine is that it can act as a duiretic and cause you to easily become dehydrated when it is very important to stay hydrated after this surgery.

With the chewing gum, it has to do with swallowing air, and people accidentally swallowing the gum and getting it stuck in the incision. I thought this was silly, I'm a grown woman, I know not to swallow gum, but I naver was a big gum chewer, so haven't tried this yet.

Another is alcohol. They say it will be absorbed faster into the blood stream, making you a lightweight and then causing the buzz also to wear off faster. Alcoholism is on of the types of 'transfer addictions' people with WLS can get, you go from being addicted to food to being addicted to something else, for some people it's alcohol. I've had a glass of wine about 3 months out, and it gave me a similar 'burn' as the orange juice did, so I didn't care for the way it settled. I will have a few drinks in the future, but I don't see myself finishing a bottle of wine by myself as I had done before the surgery.

Another is drinking during a meal. That is because the liquid will fill you up fast causing you not to eat enough Protein and then will also cause the food to 'slide' through so you will not feel full for as long. If you drink too soon after eating, you could make yourself overfull and be sick. Yes, this is a good rule to follow. I've done all of them and prefer to NOT drink while eating. It feels weird at first, but you get used to it.

The bottom line really is, there are tons of rules, some your surgeon will tell you, and some you will see around here, you will find some people that throw the rules out the window, and think they can keep on eating how they did before and do whatever they want. Some people will pick and choose which rules they feel apply. In the end, there's probably no rule that you must follow or you will die. You will get out of the sleeve what you put into it. Don't think that your life is over or there will be things you can NEVER EVER EVER do again, because it's just not true :) that can be a good thing or a bad thing. Take what you read here to heart, but don't be afraid to find out for yourself either :)

Every doctor has different ideas about this! Mine says there is nothing "never allowed again"! it's individual, if it causes you pain, don't do it! But that I should be able to have anything...in moderation!

I eat oranges all the time. Sometimes if I eat one before bed, I will have tummy problems, but I haven't had any problems eating anything y'all have mentioned..