Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why can't i do it myself...

The question i keep asking myself. Why do i have to resort to surgery why don't i go on weight watchers with my friend-a question she asked me when i told her i was doing my preop for the sleeve. I keep thinking i don't have that much to lose, but i do i have 140lbs to lose and if i keep going at this rate i will continue to gain. Every time i say this is it I last for a day or two and then I am back to reading even worse. But o if I would do something add drastic as the sleeve why won't i just lose weight on my own?

I know i have psych issues (depression) and i have had eating disorders all of my life but why can't i do this what is wrong with me. My quality of life sucks i can't even put on socks without getting winded and i don't want to do things with my kids because i feel so lazy and big.

Thanks for listening to my random ramblings... just angry at myself for letting it get to the point that I'm so big i need surgery.

I had 140 lbs to lose. Knowing how I felt at my highest weight, it is a lot to lose and most people need a boost (surgery) in order to help. I'm not saying this surgery is for everyone, but if you need to lose 140 pounds, it might be a good bet.

-Kendra

Because obesity is an illness, just like Any other illness...& requires treatment! Some people just need help, it's NOT just a matter of will power!

Statistically, almost nobody can.

i felt this way too. like why couldn't i just do it on my own? i felt like a failure everyday. that really wears on you. the surgery was the best thing i did. i am almost 7 weeks out now and i am so happy i did this. don't get me wrong, some days are hard but i feel like i got a restart for my eating habits and i know i would never have been able to do it without the sleeve.

Honestly most people who struggle with this battle of the pounds can lose weight. How many times Have a lot of us on this web site lost 100 lbs plus... Only for that weight return with more..... So the losing part is not the hard part for most of us....it is keeping it off. Well with this surgery not only will you lose your wieght you will have a built in portion control... So when it comes time to maintain the wieght loss it will be easier.

This decision is not a easy one. However, if you do choose to have the surgery it will make life of much better quality! Best Wishes to you!

Thanks for all your support just feeling a little down cause i had to defend myself to my friend tonight. She says ultimately she will support me she is just worried for me and since we are nurses we see the worst end result not the best. She also said her mothers friend just had wls and had a lot of complications but she said she had a roux en y.

I would probably be crying right now if my family wasn't in the room after I read your post. I've been saying the same thing to myself for 2 months now but I've been so scared to say it out loud. I'm scared period about everything but I'm just realizing we have never showed more strength and courage with this decision we've made. Yes, its more extreme than going to gym and eating right but guess what...we've tried that too. We've tried fad diets, get skinny quick diets, crash diets, injections, pills, dieticians, personal trainers, etc, etc, etc! We need this. We need to be released from this bondage that we call a body. We need to know how it feels to be healthy....we deserve it. I dont know how old you are but I'll be 35 on April 10 and this is the last birthday I'm going to spend being depressed b/c I'm morbidly obese! (5'5" 275) But you have to get in your head that this is it, you're done chasing the fat person in your mind away. One thing I'm making sure I do for as long as I have to is getting a therapist that I see on a regular basis. I struggle with depression too. I was molested by my father so I know I need to address those feelings that I've tried to eat away all these years. Bottom line is we've got to look at this blessing as a new chance at life...a new life. I've let one slip out of my fingers I can't let a second one. I'm committing... fear and all.

I'm sorry I'm on my 3rd day of my pre-op diet and I am on an emotional roller coaster!!! :)

Truthfully, our society is set up in a way that promotes obesity. food companies add chemicals, crops are genetically altered, serving sizes at restaurants are huge. There are a million factors at play in obesity, and most are proving that it is nearly impossible to rally against it.

I heard the same thing from two of my friends (both over weight). One of them said her moms friend had it about a month ago and had to go back in the hospital due to complications (but shes 20 years older than me and smoked for like 30 years). And my coworker says her aunt is a bariatric nurse and told her about all the complications. I just changed the subject bc I don't need to hear that crap 2 weeks pre-op...I'm scared enough. Plus ive done my research. But I'll be interested to hear what they have to say 6 months from now. I won't be surprised if they are asking for my Dr's name and number!

Blualert-thank you for the support and good luck on your journey as well. I am 32 years old 5ft8in 285lbs. Because i'm tall everyone is like"you're not that big" I have hid it well for to long. I told my friend think of all the pregnancy related weight issues you have like not being able to put on socks or walk from the parking garage to work without getting winded. Sitting in the seats at disney on ice and they hurt you because you are so big. Having to take breaks shaving your legs because it is to hard. I look forward to being done with all of that. I am done being enslaved by this fat body.

There's actually studies that say 90% or something crazy like that will fail at losing weight naturally. It's not hard to lose but it's near impossible to keep off. You're not alone and you're not a failure. The fat cells we've accumulated bever go away the just shrink. When they are starved and shrunken, they release a hormone that sends a signal to your brain that says, " hey! We need replenished here!" Your appetite increases and here comes the weight again!