Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Kelly: Laura is AWESOME!

I've posted in here a few times to follow up on my VSG with Dr. Kelly and sing his praises, along with the whole experience I had. I am now at a BMI of 20.5, my labs came back great from my physical.

I've unfortunately experienced some mysterious balance issues that seem to be related to alcohol or dehydration. Very long story short, after speaking from everyone from my PCP, ENTs, psychologists, VSG surgeons in the USA, therapists, other patients- NO ONE has been a wealth of knowledge or as understanding or compassionate as Laura. She knew everything about VSG, Vitamin deficiencies, endocrine system, thyroid imbalances..the list goes on.

She spent lots of time talking to me about my issues and truly cares, to the extent that she is even going to text me advice on what labs to request later, as she was going to talk to her sister who is a doctor on my behalf.

She also told me a ton about dr. Kelly, how he was a US marine, grew up near where my mom is from, and about how he got into bariatric surgery.

This is a person who stands to earn NO money from helping me or charming me- I have had my surgery, I am successful as far as all that goes.

I really applaud dr Kelly for having such a great staff, Laura is a real gem, and dr Kelly has been quite responsive to my recent concerns too.

I couldn't agree more. Today my financing fell through and was pretty hurt since I have no other way to get the surgery. I texted back and forth with Lora for hours trying to find an answer. She came up with lots of great ideas. (None I can use unfortunately) because of my crappy credit. She related to me like a REAL woman and not a staff member. I just want to say, even if I find someone, another person or company that can finance me with a different doctor, I WONT, and its all because of Lora and Dr. Kelly. I want this surgery sooo bad but I will stay loyal and real to the ones that have been real to me...It will happen soon enough. I cant say when, but can say with WHO.

That is lovely Janiadurl! :) I didn't have the pleasure of booking my appointment with her back in November 2011 when I had surgery, but had I- I would have felt MUCH better about surgery and let her talk to my husband. (Though the coordinator I went through was fine, they were hard to get ahold of consistently, and I felt like I was being sold on surgery, and that same coordinator was quick to slander Dr. Kelly's name as soon as he broke ties with her company. They also made false promisses about the accommodations I'd be getting)

Lora (not spelled Laura!) clearly comes from a place of genuine compassion and interest in helping others like her, and though it's quite probable she benefits financially from booking surgeries for Dr. Kelly, that feels much more like the outcome of her dedication and authentic love for helping people get VSG rather than her underlying motive. She actually works in the same physical space as Dr. Kelly, which is important to me- I think truly knowing the surgeon you book people with is really important. She functions as an assistant to his work rather than a coordinator- she has a wealth of knowledge, and will share and share and share with you rather than say something to make you happy so you'll get off the phone sooner.

Janiadurl: I have to say Dr. Kelly was the best part of my experience, he was warm and visited with me the night before surgery with his little son who he was very affectionate and sweet with, It was nice to see a doctor who was just a human being and could converse with me, person to person. Dr. Kelly saw how scared I was about surgery, and went down the hall to get a patient who had surgery with him just that day to come say hi to me and talk about it, and it was so cool to see how great she was doing just 6 hours out of surgery! The hospital itself was sufficient, and the nurses and staff came in every 1-2 hours to check on me. All the equipment was identical to that in the USA. Anytime I needed something, I pressed a button, and someone was there within minutes. I have known other people who really loved their experience with other doctors in Mexico, but I adore Dr. Kelly. I like that he holds a USA medical license STILL, speaks fluent English (dude was born in Michigan!), and has a background in varied types of internal medicine. I think there are likely many good options, but I really, really loved my experience with Dr. Kelly. He is easy to reach via phone or e-mail, which is also quite reassuring even though he lives in Mexico full time now I believe.

Siren's singin' the Lora praises... and I feel the same. She made the week before I left for TJ so much more smooth and peace-filled. I had been calling her Dr. Kelly's "coordinator" but I told her the other day her title should be changed to Scheduling and Patient Support... because she IS so supportive! Just another perk of Dr. Kelly's practice now.

< Look at you! You're adorable too girl! :P

It's great to see someone who is a true patient of the surgeon they work for, and does not hide out from the message boards.

I love her too! Lora must have answered a zillion texts from me before I went to MX calming my nerves as much as possible. She had her surgery with him and works only for him. She also doesn't get paid per patient-she is salary. It's refreshing. She's moving to TJ this year also. When I was down there Cecy did all the driving and care when I needed her (her English is so-so) and Alina is an assistant that helps you with dietary instructions ect. She speaks perfect English. It's quite a great team :) Lora was still available the entire time for questions and welcomed me back to the states. <3