Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scar treatment - My results - Photos included

I am a woman of science and a seeker of the truth, and since I have no hope of ever becoming a bikini model, I decided to do a top secret experiment on myself with some scar treatment business to see if it would do anything good, or anything at all and I have interesting results to report.

Here is how this all started, I have had acne my whole life, thanks to PCOS, so I do weekly facials and whatnot - and I use products to improve the texture of my skin. I stumbled across a product I have seen FOR YEARS but never purchased because I didn't like the idea of putting oil on my face. Little did I know, I was missing out. The product is called Bio-Oil and just for the record I have not been given anything for free, or paid by this company, however I wouldn't be totally opposed to it if they offered ;)

It did wonders for my skin on my face, so I decided that as soon as my incisions were closed and/or mostly crusted over I was going to treat one of the sites with Bio-Oil, and leave the other one to heal on its own, and I would let you guys know how its going. I'm six weeks post op and the difference is pretty significant so I thought I would share.

Here is the product in question, and clearly, there is no hope of a modeling contract in my future :)

IMG 20130226 034205

Clearly you can see that the site that got the treatment came together much better and has also lost a lot of the redness. Overall, at six weeks both look fine, but there is clearly a difference so if anyone is actually concerned about scars, they might want to check this out.

20130226 032501 1

20130226 032510 1

I've Included pictures both as hyperlinks and attachments for ease of viewing.

I will answer all questions in the comments section.

post-47084-13813663451414_thumb.jpg

post-47084-13813663452314_thumb.jpg

post-47084-13813663452887_thumb.jpg

Fascinating! I've been considering using some kind of scar treatment on mine, and wasn't sure which direction to go. I too don't have plans to model bikinis, but wouldn't mind having less obvious scars. I've never heard of Bio-Oil, I was only considering products like Mederma. Thanks for sharing!

Fascinating! I've been considering using some kind of scar treatment on mine, and wasn't sure which direction to go. I too don't have plans to model bikinis, but wouldn't mind having less obvious scars. I've never heard of Bio-Oil, I was only considering products like Mederma. Thanks for sharing!

This is sold in the bandaid section next to mederma, it comes in white boxes

How soon after surgery did you start to apply it? I won't get my steri strips removed until 3/7. Is that too far out? Date of surgery 2/20.

I put bio-oil on all of my cuts. I don't believe it made any difference. Some of my incisions are barely visible and others are really visible. I think that they would have been the same without bio-oil. If it worked,all of my incisions would look the same. It's not expensive so try it if you want but I think it's a load of crock!

How soon after surgery did you start to apply it? I won't get my steri strips removed until 3/7. Is that too far out? Date of surgery 2/20.

I started putting it on and massaging it in as soon as it looked like it wasn't going to come open on me - your steri strips will likely fall off before that date but I dont think its too late, I waited about a week, maybe a week and a half

I put bio-oil on all of my cuts. I don't believe it made any difference. Some of my incisions are barely visible and others are really visible. I think that they would have been the same without bio-oil. If it worked,all of my incisions would look the same. It's not expensive so try it if you want but I think it's a load of crock!

Yeah, different things work for different people, it is a fact that some people are more pron to scaring than others. My ancestry is such that I am prone to getting keloids which is basically an overgrowth of scar tissue, some white folks like me get it but its typically people of darker skin types that get those and it but I can already see the difference in how much is building up, but some of it could be from the massaging too. I'm not going to claim that it works miracles or anything because I am just one person sitting at home testing something out as best I can. What I can say without a doubt is that my acne scarring that I have had for years improved 10 fold in about a month of using bio oil.

I am wondering if people who have very visible scars with slow heal outside their body are more prone to scar tissue inside their body?

I am wondering if people who have very visible scars with slow heal outside their body are more prone to scar tissue inside their body?

I dont know, I had never thought about that. It's certainly an interesting question.

I put bio-oil on all of my cuts. I don't believe it made any difference. Some of my incisions are barely visible and others are really visible. I think that they would have been the same without bio-oil. If it worked' date='all of my incisions would look the same. It's not expensive so try it if you want but I think it's a load of crock![/quote']

It is a load of crock .... you scar or you dont. I used bio oil twice daily on my stomach during pregnancy ... did it make a difference? No. The cracks appear under the skin so whatever you apply topically doesnt matter. I was told to avoid oils on scars for the first month as it seeps into the scar causing more damage. My scars are now hardly visable 4 months out. Sporadically and not religiouly using cocoa butter only because I have dreams of becoming a bikini model ;)

Its clearly working for you though Nurse Grace! Keep up this experiment I would love to see these results a few months out :)

I've never tried bio oil but have seen it. For me, I am very white so my incisions are bright red. My doc gave me a sample if mederma yesterday and with one application, my scars are pink! I will update with the results after a few weeks but I was pretty surprised by the results so far.

It is a load of crock .... you scar or you dont. I used bio oil twice daily on my stomach during pregnancy ... did it make a difference? No. The cracks appear under the skin so whatever you apply topically doesnt matter. I was told to avoid oils on scars for the first month as it seeps into the scar causing more damage. My scars are now hardly visable 4 months out. Sporadically and not religiouly using cocoa butter only because I have dreams of becoming a bikini model ;)

Different things work differently for different skin types. Oils are mostly innert except to act as a carrior for whatever is in them, so I find it hard to believe that oil itself would cause any problems but what do I know. I'm just posting this for anyone interested in what I did, because it did help my skin stay soft, which kept the incision together and less red

I've never tried bio oil but have seen it. For me, I am very white so my incisions are bright red. My doc gave me a sample if mederma yesterday and with one application, my scars are pink! I will update with the results after a few weeks but I was pretty surprised by the results so far.

scar treatment of any type is usually good stuff. I have a huge scar on my wrist from an injury back when I was in 6th grade that always looked horrible until I started using Mederma on it years ago. I've switched now because I like the feel of the bio oil more but yeah, good stuff too.

Thanks for sharing your tip, and especially the pics.