Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had to let go of the pill prior to my surgery, as per my doctor. I'm one month post op and would like to get back on it. I don't have any kids and would like to get pregnant in the future. Any recommendations on what contraceptive to take?

Nuvaring works good for me!

I have Mirena, it is great!

I never had a great experience with any pill - too sensitive to side effects, even when trying different varieties.

I had a Mirena and for controlling endometriosis it was wonderful and the side effects were less than with pills. If you're at goal or close, it might be a great option for you. A lot of women have it and love it - but when mine was in I could not lose weight at all. Once it was removed, I got pregnant as soon as I tried, so that was not an issue.

For my needs, NuvaRing was the best form of birth control and it's what I'll resume after this pregnancy. It controls my endometriosis without any side effects or weight gain and it's simple to stop using - no need to have it removed by a doctor.

I might also consider Mirena again but I'm not certain. My Mirena fell out post VSG and was replaced once before I finally opted to have it removed for good due to sluggish weight loss. Because I'll need to lose what weight I've put on in pregnancy I'm not sure it's the best option for me at this time. But for light/almost nonexistent periods and controlling endometriosis pain? It was by far the best treatment I've ever had.

I'd think on what you've used in the past that's worked well for your body with minimal side effects and choose a similar treatment. NuvaRing is easy to try for just a few months. I'd stay away from pills unless you've had a great experience with them before and had no side effects in the past.

Good luck!

~Cheri

Stay away from Mirena. Myself and people I know have really suffered with Mirena. A good friend suffered a miscarriage due to Mirena and had to get hormone injections to sustain her current pregnancy. I've had terrible side effects and my periods since having Mirena removed are excruciating.

Amanda Rae

nuva ring or depo shot. stay away from yaz!

Nuvaring works good for me!

Do you get monthly periods with Nuva ring? How often do you need to change it?

Yes & 3 weeks in 1 week out, insert new ring & repeat. It's fantastic!

*** not medical advice, simply my experience as a since I was 16 bcp user***

I loved my nuvaring. But Ihad a hard time getting it into a great position due to its size.

Sometimes it would Turtle head and peak out when I was going about my day. I'd have to sneak off & push it back in.

Also. You're not supposed to take it out for sex but I always did. Put it on a paper towel & then rinse with tap Water and re-insert. Be careful where you put it though because I went for a wash cloth one time & in the time I was gone my cat got a hold of it & took off. I didnt find it until I moved out two years later. Had an extra on hand so no biggie but....

Also, I know people will flame me for this but I used to use it like seasonal( I would use one for 3 weeks and then put another without waiting a week & having a period). I had 4 " periods" a year & they usually were like 1-2 days.

I never had an unwanted pregnancy but did have hormonsl rollercoasters. Like my boobs would hurt when it was time to swap it.

I did go to a mirena that was HELL as my doc recommended wrong. I never had a pregnancy & it hurt beyond all pain I'd ever felt going in & she didn't do it right & it ended up growing inyo the side of my uterus & giving me horrid pains. Ended up having a d & c abortion type proceedure to remove it. Do not recommend if you've not been pregnant. That said a buddy of mine has & loves it.

I currently take tri-cycline lo. The lo dose is causing my high bp but I refuse to swap as I need the high bp to qualify for vsg & the only alternative is something called the mini pill which is less effective. I don't want children any time soon.

Ultimately, I suggest working with your Ob/Gyn to find a solution thats right for you. You don't have to be married to your bcp. Try the nuva ring for two months see how you feel & if the scale agrees with your choice. If your stalled after two months try something else.

Btw- the depo shot & the paraguard are not permanent but can have bad raps so be sure to do your homework before you let someone talk yiu into them.

I've read plenty of threads by post op sleevers who got pregnant using any and all forms of hormonal bc (ring, patch, pill, iud, shot). You can't be too careful when losing lots of weight!