Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious about waiting time from eating to drinking

My DR says wait 30 minutes between eating and drinking which makes sense because I have to give it time to absorb the Protein but does everyone else wait 30 minutes after drinking to eat? Some of you do it differently and I wonder why the difference in Dr advise.

I was told 30 minutes also.

I can drink all the way up until my first bite but then I can't drink for an hour after eating. Every doctor is different, but this works for me.

I wait 30 minutes after eating before drinking. I have made the mistake of drinking before 30 minutes. I became very sick.

Yes, we all should do it, though it doesn't always work that way. The window varies, but 30 minutes before and after is the norm. Drinking while you eat helps the food move out of the stomach faster, which means that you can eat more than intended. It's one of the ways you can self sabotage.

I know the waiting after you eat is correct but some people don't wait 30 before eating tell me about that. Why would drinking 15 minutes prior hurt you?

My surgeon's instructions are stop 30 min before eating and 1 hour after eating. It means you have to work at getting your Water in but I try to drink two bottles in the morning and 2 in afternoon then I only have 1 to drink at night (16.9 oz bottles). I also drink Decaf coffee, decaf tea, sugar-free hot chocolate for variety.

Thanks. I have been sick with a bad two week flu and getting all my fluids ( I need extra) are hard to get in I was hoping I could squeeze in some more drinking time! Thanks for answering

I'd imagine that the 30 minute time window allows the liquid to clear the digestive system before you eat.

wonder why the difference in Dr advise.

fonally

I have NEVER understood why one dr/NUT will give different guide lines - than another doc/NUT

many/most?? times the "words of wisdom are very similar - sometimes i'll read something here that one dr says and i think "what the heck???"

i wish there was ONE "rule book" - all docs used - and all sleevers follow to the "T"

it would be easier, then we could all relate to each other better, since we all follow the exact same rules

my NUT told me to stop drinking 1/2 hr before i will eat (for me though, sometimes i will drink - and then in 15 minutes eat

i don't ever drink with my meals

then after i eat - i DO wait at least 30 minutes before i drink - sometimes 45 minutes

fonally et al

DOS???

weight??

one of my major pet peeves are when people don't post ticker or profile :angry:

make an 'old gal' happy today

post your ticker and profile, please (I/we're nosey :lol: )

inquiring minds want to know ;)

thanx :)

I have been told I can drink up to my first bite of a meal, but to wait until 30 minutes afterward. I honestly don't pay much attention to this rule. It's not an issue now, but it could be, so I've got to work on that. :)

-Kendra

Thanks for the input. Honestly I cannot figure out the ticker tape thing!! I was sleeved Jan-09-13 started at 289 lost 20 prep to 270 day of surgery and at six weeks out I weigh 237. I eat 1000-1200 a day.