Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

I got this off bandsters:

"Thought I would share that I saw one of those girdle type

things today. The purpose for wearing them is to compress the tissue

to speed up healing of the incisions and also to help the pain when

coughing. The educator told me that coughing can sometimes hurt after

band placement and the "girdle" thingy absorbs some of the pressure.

It's white and flexible. It just wraps around one's waist and has a

big piece of velcro to attach it tightly. Apparently, the doctors that

prescribe this for a week or so use it for the above reasons. Just

thought I'd add this since folks were talking about them a few days

back. "

I think I am going to ask for one!

FYII: This sucks! I just got the email from Dr. Ortiz's patient care coordinator and she said Dr. Ortiz will start offering the new AP band in the fall! I hope it is not that much better than the one I am getting!!!

Audree

Hi BabyGotBack,

I was talking w/ a lady who was banded and she said my surgeon Dr. Madan uses it for his patients. I hope she is right.

Be BLESSED

hey gals..

I had my pre op H and P yesterday and everything is a GO...I dont need a pre op diet as I thought I might, and all my vitals are good...I have surgery on Jan 31...I cant WAIT...I am nervous and scared but I KNOW it is going to be worth it...I have discovered bottled crystal light and love it..I am weaning myself off the diet coke and have had monster headaches, but my Dr. Simpson says drink tea, that will help..anyway, I enjoy reading everyones posts and like all the encouraging words..keep it up...see ya

Hello TracyV,

I also have surgery date of the 31st. I am nervous but so excited to get started. im doing all my pre op stuff tomarrow morning. Im looking forward to getting it done also, lol. my friends and family are excited also, i think my girlfriend is almost more excited than i am. lol. well i wish you all the good luck in a fast recovery. callieanna: :clap2:

Hi all, I have been reading about alot of you doing a lot of tests and then your pre op tests a long time befor your bands, I get my pre op stuff done the day we get to Mexico and then get my band is the very next day..I guess I'll count myself as lucky in that way. I'm really starting to think about getting my band and was wishing the 31st was sooner then it is, but I'm only 10 days away from our 7day cruise:hungry: so that will make the time go bye faster..:biggrin1: Is there anybody new that is going to TJ Mexico to see Dr. Kuri with me on the 31st ? Ted

Hey Guys, i just wanted to check in. Jen, Kellie and Susan, i hope that everything went just great and you all feel better than expected. Audree, good luck! Let us know how it went once you get back from TJ. I'm praying for all of you.

So far i am dealing with the upcoming surgery quite well, but i think i might be more nervous than i thought. For two nights now i have woken up in the middle of the night with terrible pain in my abdomen, kinda feels like gas. It keeps me up for at least 3 hours and i can't find a comfortable position. The only thing that helps is to walk around or sit up REALLY straight. We got my dad a massaging chair for christmas, so i sit in that. When i was 5 years old and we had just moved to Mexico i used to get really nervous to go to school because i didn't speak the language, and i got really bad stomach aches every day for about 2 weeks. Maybe this is kind of like that. Anyways, i'm hoping i'll sleep better tonight.

Good night everybody

Linda

13 days!!!

Good Morning January bandsters. Today I start my pre-op diet. Mainly high Protein and low carb. I also have my upper GI test done in a few hours. I also have to pay my deposit for my surgery.

Pinky - I know what you mean. When I get nervous, I get a pain in my shoulder - weird.

No surgeries scheduled today, however Audree leaves for Mexico this afternoon.

I have been reading some about the AP Band? I tried to google it last night, but could find nothing on it. Anyone know about this? Whats the difference?

Talk to everyone later.

Save travels Audree.

I too was wondering about the AP band...anyone have any links with more information?

ImSusie0929, I'm sorry they've given you a hard time, too. In a way I'm glad, though, it keeps me from being alone... :( I too didn't know that the first surgeon I was going to was out of network for me. The hospital that he operated out of wasn't. Came as a shock to me. That was completely my fault though, I should have checked instead of assuming.

Chris

Regarding the AP Band, I'm sure you all know Dr. C, the bariatric surgeon who so generously answers questions from time to time that are posted to him on the board. A few days ago someone asked him about the AP Band, and this was his response:

"This band hasn't been released in the US yet so I don't know anything about it. I'm sure it's a good band but the most important thing is that you have a band--whether it's an AP band, Swedish band, Midband, whatever. The differences between them in weight loss will be minimal.

Good luck,

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio"

Well, at my mom's but at least out of the hospital. The surgery took about 2 hours from start to finish. I was freaking out in the prep room, thinking about whether or not this was the right decision. Kinda late for that huh? My anesthesiologist was not nearly as friendly as I needed him to be, but my doctor was fantastic. He was joking around with me and making me feel real comfortable. Luckily enough, I was pretty much unconscious before they wheeled me into the OR. That mild sedative did wonders on me. I guess coupled with my nerves, it kicked right in. I do not even remember them putting the mask on me. I do remember waking up and choking or gagging. Whatever it was, it wasn't good, but at least I was okay. Unfortunately, they didn't have a room for me right away so I was in recovery for about 4 hours. The nurses there were terrific though, and it paid off because I had a private room when they finally moved me. I was up and walking in no time. Sitting up is the worst but once I was up, I was fine. I am experiencing very minimal gas pains, but have the chewable gas-x if I need it. I am not on any painkillers or meds at all. I have liquid tylenol if needed. I had my first meal earlier: 1 oz broth and 1 oz cranberry juice. That was at about 7:30, and I am getting a little hungry now, or that might be gas. I can't really tell just yet, but I can say I am not famished as I would have been before the surgery.

I am doing great. I feel terrific. I am swollen and puffy, but that is expected. For anyone preparing for surgery, feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I can promise you, being the most anxious and nervous person before the surgery, it is not halfway as bad as I had expected it to me. Good luck to all.

Hi Angyl2314,

Glad you're doing great!!! I am getting nervous again, but I won't backout. Sounds like your doing well without pain meds...I hope I won't need them. I found the liquid Tylenol at Walgreens yesterday, so I will definitly get some. My surgery is next Thursday so I'm getting ready.

Good luck on your healing!

Be BLESSED!

Jen (Angy) so glad you are doing GREAT. Thanks for telling us the details.

Marjon9 - thanks for the info on the ap band. Good to know that it really won't make that big of difference in weight loss.

I just got back from my upper GI. YUK. I hate drinking that stuff. They said I have a large hernia - (already new that) and reflus (definately new that!). My doc will repair my hernia when he does the lap band.

I do have some signs of Esophagites (not sure what this is). The doc who did my GI told me my surgeon will discuss this with me.

Anyhow, just checking in.

Hey everyone

Glad to hear that everyone that has been banded so far is doing so great, it is awesome to hear the details of what we can expect. Mine is next Tuesday and I am so ready - and starting to have the nerves kick in.

I'm doing pretty well on my pre-op diet, Protein Shakes and meat and vegetables. Not really hungry, just have the bad habits to break and head hunger to deal with.

I did my pre-op testing and paid my part of the hospital bill $500.00 out of the bank account seems to make it all feel more real!

I love reading all of the suggestions and comments - I am so looking forward to reading more as we continue on this journey.

TxPeaches, it was the Hill Country Resort and it is an awesome hotel!

Keep posting,

Amy

Okay January Bandsters,

I was suppose to start my pre-opt diet a week ago. I mean I did, but I was eating a little meat here and there, but for the past three days I have be eating burgers, fries and I just had Chick-Fil-A on lunch! I mean a nice size combo! I go see the surgeon tomorrow, should I tell him what I've been doing? I don't want something to go wrong in surgery. My surgery is a week from today.

Glad to hear you're doing ok, Jen! Welcome to Bandlandia. :)

Your comments about the sedative reminded me of when I was in pre-op. I had a horrible headache the afternoon that I arrived in Mexico. It was so bad that Dr. Rumbaut gave me a shot in the arm of something (at that point, I didn't care what) and that was *after* I'd had Advil, Tylenol, and then something else that they had in the office (this was all the night before surgery). I was miserable.

So the next morning, in pre-op, I was very much looking forward to something, *anything,* that would make the headache go away. They gave me my "happy pill" and I remember sitting there complaining because it was only taking the edge off the headache. The gal next door was acting giddy...I felt mostly normal and still in pain.

Finally, I said to DH that it was kicking in enough to take the headache away...and the next thing I remember, I was waking up in recovery. LOL

I joked later that I felt ripped off because I didn't remember talking to Dr. R in the OR (he asked what kind of music I wanted to hear), I didn't remember telling the gals in pre-op good-bye...I had entire conversations that I couldn't remember! It was really rather funny. :)

Cindy