Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Sheila, it sounds like you are struggling with this thing quite a bit, sorry to hear that, good luck working it all out.

In my opinion you do want to tell your doctor what's going on. In general I would say it is not a good idea for your surgeon to discover surprises after the surgery begins. The doctor may feel like your diet has medical significance. I would say you should tell the doctor all the facts.

I've noticed in your posts that you've gone back and forth on this whole thing a couple times. Now that you are ready to proceed you are having big struggles with the pre-op diet. I don't need to tell you that this is a situation that could lead to a not-so-successful result. Many posts on this forum show that it is possible to make the band fail by "eating around it." The band won't be able to protect you from yourself if you are determined to eat a lot of calories.

I don't mean to be lecturing you and I know you know all this. But you asked, so I'm answering. It sounds to me like it might be a good idea to work out some issues before putting the band in. You don't want to go through this expense and recovery when you know you are not going let the band work for you. From what you've told us here it sounds like you are not ready.

This is obviously your decision, and I could see the logic to just going for it. But if you do, don't set yourself up to fail. Dig in and make it work. Otherwise, what's the point?

Thanks for your OPINION. However, just because I am not following the pre-opt diet the way I am suppose too doesn't mean I am setting myself up for failure. If anything that's why I need the band! One surgeon tells me not to eat anything after midnight before surgery and another tells me to start a two week liquid only pre-opt diet. So if I tell him I tell him, if not oh well. As for going back and forth with my decison, I am glad I did! I had to make sure I was doing the right thing that will benefit me and no one else! All that being said, I will have the surgery on 1/11 and I will succeed with the band! I am MORE than a CONQUEROR IN HIM (CHRIST) THAT STRENGTHENS ME!

BE BLESSED!

Hello everybody. I am nervous as heck!!!!:faint: I am waiting for my mom to pick me up. I am all packed, bought convenience foods for my family so I don't have to cook when I get home, house is clean, bought gauze and paper tape.

I will bring back info on the AP band. Dr. Ortiz is supposed to start using them toward the later part of the year. I will ask him lots of questions!!! I can't believe I am giong!!!! I am also bringing some Protein Water to sip on the way back.

DID I MENTION I AM NERVOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audree

BUENA SUERTE MUCHACHA!! You'll be fine!!!

BE BLESS

Hi everyone, I am really new to all this. Can someone add me to the January bandster list. I just got my surgery date, it is January 23rd. I thought it would be sooner but I guess they are really busy.

Hi everyone, I am really new to all this. Can someone add me to the January bandster list. I just got my surgery date, it is January 23rd. I thought it would be sooner but I guess they are really busy.

I'll add you to the list. I will probably update the list tomorrow since I will have a busy day on Monday with appointments.

Welcome to our group!

Hey Guys, i got that really horrible pain again today, and it was the worst pain i have ever felt. My mom took me to the doctor and it turns out i have gastritis. I wonder if i'm going to have to postpone my surgery? I really hope that i don't have to. I'm going to call the doctors office and see what they say.

Hi Everyone,

Well Yippee Skippy the surgeon's office called and gave me the date of my surgery. It's official! My date is January 18th... Now I can join your official january bandster forum...

Thanks for your OPINION. However, just because I am not following the pre-opt diet the way I am suppose too doesn't mean I am setting myself up for failure. If anything that's why I need the band! One surgeon tells me not to eat anything after midnight before surgery and another tells me to start a two week liquid only pre-opt diet. So if I tell him I tell him, if not oh well. As for going back and forth with my decison, I am glad I did! I had to make sure I was doing the right thing that will benefit me and no one else! All that being said, I will have the surgery on 1/11 and I will succeed with the band! I am MORE than a CONQUEROR IN HIM (CHRIST) THAT STRENGTHENS ME!

BE BLESSED!

You are so correct. That was just my opinion. And I'd love to be wrong, and I'd love for you to disagree. I hope you get the band. I just think that once you do, it's probably a good idea to follow the rules pretty closely if you want results. You can't argue with that. There are a good number of people on this forum who say they don't have good results, and it usually seems to be due to not following the rules. I'm not saying they are bad people, but it does seem kind of pointless to get the band and then drink McDonalds shakes all day. if you see already that you are not following the rules before you even have the surgery, that's something to think about. I know you agree because you posted about it.

But if you look at the whole situation and decide you are ready to go for it, then that's great. That makes me happy. I hope you do. Good luck on your journey.

There are a good number of people on this forum who say they don't have good results, and it usually seems to be due to not following the rules.

Marjon, you're not kidding! (Sheila, this is NOT directed at you...I'm just venting because I've been in another thread sort of about this same thing.) I was telling the personal trainer today that I'm so tired of people saying "It's not working!" and then someone comes along and says "Eat more." *sheesh* It's calories in/calories out...plain and simple.

I think that, if you're used to eating 2 sandwiches at a time, or an entire McD's meal, and then you switch to eating one sandwich or just the Big Mac, it can SEEM like you're following the rules. Yes, you're eating less (which works for a while), but you're still not eating right. At the beginning of banding, you still have a lot to lose, it's a big adjustment, so the weight drops with just the change in quantity.

But as you lose more, you need fewer calories to maintain. So you have to be MORE strict with what you eat and/or up the exercise. It doesn't just happen automatically. So people hit this "stall," don't understand why it stopped working, and it all comes back to what they're eating. But most of us are food addicts to some degree, so we don't want to accept that "HEY, you need to eat less!"

Ok, that's my rant for the day. :)

Cindy

Just had my pre-op appointment and am getting wound up for my surgery on the 9th. This is so exciting! I haven't told many people about the surgery outside of my immediate family, I guess I'm a little gun shy about public dieting.

My hubby came with to the pre-op appointment and met my doctor and toured the facilities to "check them out". He won't admit it but I think he's nervous for me. When we married 6 years ago I was in the midst of one of my only successful diets. I sometimes feel like I've pulled a bait and switch on him. I can't wait to work with the band to whittle myself down to what I was when we got married, and less. He and I both deserve it.

YEAH YOU ARE WRONG!!!I am not so many other PEOPLE I am SHEILA! So my success will be my success, point blank! No one will determine MY destiny or my outcome in whatever I decide to do. Yeah I messed up on the pre-opt diet AND! My question was should I tell the doctor...I didn't ask for anyone to PREDICT my success or compare me to the next person! If you can peek into the future you should be getting paid for it. I don't mind opinions, but when someone "tries" to tell me what my outcome will be is where get defensive!

Sheila, as far as I'm concerned you are not being defensive. I'm really glad you are feeling strong about what you are doing.

I agree you did not ask anyone to predict your future success. But I did it anyway because I think it is significant when someone is not willing/able to follow the doctor's pre-op instructions. To me it seems likely that people who do not follow pre-op instructions often have problems with the band. I think it is a matter of concern when a person does not follow the pre-op instructions. It's not the end of the world, but it is something to think about. So, I voiced my opinion. I agree you did not ask for it.

And I say again, I'm really glad you disagree with me. I hope you get the band and I wish you the best.

LIKE I SAID I AM NOT OTHER PEOPLE I AM SHEILA AND YOU AND NO ONE ELSE WILL DETERMINE MY OUTCOME!!! I asked one question not your zero cent! There is no hope I will get the band and I will SUCCEED! CONVERSATION OVER!

You keep trying to fight with me when I'm not fighting at all. I'm not sure I understand why, but, oh well.

I think sometimes it's hard for a person to explain what they really mean in an e-mail. When you can't see or hear the other person, I think sometimes e-mails can be taken in a lot of different ways. It seems to me that my comments are a bit irritating to you, but I don't intend them to be.