Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

TxPeaches, glad to hear you are back and were able to type a message to us (that in itself is very encouraging!)

I just spent the last 30 minutes catching up - I'm at work again, the only time I seem to get to check in on LBT -

Audree, your day is almost here - are you ready? I know it will be fine, I've had a couple of friends go through the procedure and that has been really a great comfort to me.

I'm doing okay on my Pre-Op, NYE was a challenge, we went to San Antonio and had Christmas with my two best girl friends and their families - all 3 of us are overweight and vow to get it off every year. We stayed at the Hyatt on a family package deal that included a Buffet dinner - I managed to just eat salad and a few pieces of steak - so I count that as an NSV (non-scale victory) in the journey. My Protein Drinks taste good enough that I ordered the canisters of the chocolate and vanilla.

I also saw a cousin of mine over the week-end that had gastric by-pass last April and has lost 115 pounds and she was very encouraging about WLS.

I'm an open book kind of person so everyone in my life knows I'm having surgery next week - not one single person has said anything negative - and for that I am very grateful!

Amy

Hey Amy..SA is a great city, my favorite food is Mexican Food and we have it on every corner here..um-um. By far, that will be my biggest obstacle. What a coincidence I live fairly close to the Hyatt (if if was the hill country resort) and I have several friends who work there.

Good luck with your procedure. And remember to do/don't do everything the doctor tells you. For me so far so good.

Angy - I'm your January band-sister! Like you, I'm being banded on January 3rd --tomorrow morning at 9:30am. I haven't been able to sleep before daybreak in a week! What are you thinking? Are you both excited and scared like me? I'm in Massachusetts. Where are you? -ginatae55

Welcome to everyone that has joined the group! I am so excited for all of us! Kristi- you sound great and I'm so glad you've posted and kept us updated! Sunshine- thanks for the list of reminders! I am going to try really hard to be sure to follow all of the suggestions and guidelines that everyone has shared.

10 more hours. Thankfully! I have only been on liquids for a day and I have to say I don't think I would have made it for 2 weeks pre-op. My mom just took my measurements and pictures. Very attractive! Can't wait to have an "after" to compare them to. Wish me luck! Thank you all for your advice, support, and ears. It helps so much!

Kristi, is the shot for pain? .

No the shots are for blood clots. I have to take them every 8hrs for 14 days. For pain, I'm taking liquid vicodin (lortab). I was nervous about taking this pain killer on an empty stomach since it can cause nausea too, but again I haven't had a problem. Tomorrow is a new day and my tune may change as I progress through the healing process. I'll keep in touch. It is off to bed for the evening.

angy~I hope nothing but the best for you. keep us informed when you can. I'll pray for success and a speedy/painless recovery....Take care

Hi Audree, just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you...it is almost your turn!:clap2: :clap2:

Hi Audree, just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you...it is almost your turn!:clap2: :clap2:

Hey Bandiva!!!

Thanks for thinking about me! Today was pre op day 6 and I ate off program, small portions though.

I will be leaving Thursday and returning Saturday.

Audre

I just wanted to check in today!

Today is day 5 of my pre op. I had a shake for Breakfast, eggs, with one lean piece of bacon and potato. For lunch I had shrimp and a little bit of fries. I was out all day. I didn't eat my Lean Cuisines but I had small portions. I am also feeling a little under the wheather. I have a sore throat and feeling run down. I am downing the Air Borne, Zinc losenges and some tea for sore throat.

TxPeaches: Congrats on your surgery. I hope that I recover well from surgery like all of you!

I will be leaving Thursday and coming back either Saturday or Sunday, so I won't be posting, most likely, on those days, unless they have computers there and I can remember my password!

Audree

Oh boy! It's getting so close. I have been reading all the posts about everyone and I'll just throw in a few thoughts and questions of my own. I am 57, single again, a nurse practitioner by profession and I have to mention my two little fur-kids, Molly and Jody. They are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and they are my cutie pies. I have always been athletic but with a big appetite and the weight has slowly climbed, usually a big gain after each diet. I'm doing this for health reasons since I suspect strongly that I have sleep apnea and a bunch of other health problems. I have really bad GERD and was concerned about the surgery making it worse but last week I finally elevated the head of my bed about 6 " and voila! the GERD is gone! Whoooopie! I feel so much better. I also stopped drinking orange juice.;-( I wish I had done Atkins instead of the proteindrink/lean cuisine thing because I'm starving on this pre-op diet and at least on Atkins I don't get hungry. Oh well, it's only a few more days.

After reading the posts on sleep apnea I think I will get a sleep study. I often wake up with a loud snort and then have to catch up with my respirations and I snore like a garbage disposal.

Audree, sorry I won't meet you. I arrive Sunday, the day after you leave. Waaah! Take care all!

Susan

Angy12314, Kellie Reachell, & Skmsu (Susan) - just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you guys today, and we have a new one that is joining us - ginatae55 - she too is having her surgery today. So there are FOUR having surgery today. We will keep you all in our thoughts today and hoping you guys have a speedy recovery.

Besides welcoming ginatae55, welcome peaCej & callienna. I will add you all to the list on our next update.

Marjon9, thanks for your help and advice on the cpap machine. I will be going in for my sleep study test next week. So, we'll know after that.

I do not show that anyone in our group is having surgery tomorrow. But, we have Audree (babygotback) having it on the 5th (Friday).

I can't wait to hear from everyone who has had the surgery. Txpeaches, you sound like you are doing great. Hopefully we'll hear from 1721summ & Jenslapband soon. I hope they are doing okay.

Well, just checking in - Cindy, thanks for the additional reminders. I've already prepared myself for the hunger, and I'm actually thinking about having my doctor perscribe me a diet pill to help with the hunger during the 4 - 6 weeks before my fill. I've heard some do this.

Gotta run everyone. Take care!

I've already prepared myself for the hunger, and I'm actually thinking about having my doctor perscribe me a diet pill to help with the hunger during the 4 - 6 weeks before my fill. I've heard some do this.

Sunshine, I really don't remember being that hungry before my first fill. In fact, I waited until I was 10 wks out and *knew* that I was at a standstill before getting my first fill.

I do remember, when on liquids, hitting a day when I felt really "deprived." Feeling sort of sorry for myself and very limited in what I could have. I had decided that I'd make the liquid phase as much about losing weight as possible. I didn't drink juice, or any other high calorie drink, I stayed away from things like pudding, mashed potatoes, etc. This was also on the advice of the dr and nutritionist. As the nutritionist put it... I had plenty of calories in storage, so I did NOT need to eat for calories, but for Protein, Vitamin and minerals.

Someone said "Look, just have a cup of hot chocolate! It'll make you feel like you've splurged and 100 cals won't hurt." So I did, and that small splurge helped me so much mentally!

But back to the hunger thing. :) I really do think that many of us have trouble recognizing true hunger. We "think" we need to eat a certain amount. Many times, someone will post on this board that they're feeling weak from hunger, starving, etc...and that just isn't true. With 100+lbs in storage, it would take you WEEKS or months to starve, and hunger doesn't make you weak or dizzy. Dehydration can make you feel dizzy, but a few days/weeks of low calories won't.

All that to say...I don't think you should do diet pills. You'll be amazed at how UNhungry you feel at first (at least that's true for most everyone and for those that don't...well, I think that's head hunger). Then, as you start to get hungry, USE that time to really think about how it feels. Are you truly PHYSICALLY hungry or do you want to eat because that's what you're used to doing? Are you bored, tired, depressed and that's why you want to eat? Learn to differentiate between true physical hunger and head/emotional hunger. Then, as you approach your first fill, you most likely will be getting hungry if you're trying to stick to small portions and low calories...so that, again, getting a good fill will make a difference. If it doesn't, then you know to get another fill soon. But if you've been "masking" your hunger with diet pills, how can you compare?

Ok, off my "hunger" soapbox... :)

Cindy

You guys are the best...keeping me occupied with all of your comments and concerns for each other. I am on this board constantly, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Do we all have to do shots for blood clots, or is that something different? If so...lord help me! I pass out. No, really, seriously. I'm a big baby like that.:)