Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Hello everyone, thought I'd check in. I've been doing the low carb diet now for 7 days. So far so good I guess. I haven't stepped back on the scales, refuse to do that too often (if it doesn't go down fast enough it upsets me). Amy wanted us to do a bio of ourselves so heres mine: I just turned 54 yrs old. My husband died 8 years ago Christmas day. I have 2 grown children of my own and still consider 4 of my step children as my own, but thank God they are all grown. My oldest still lives at home with me. I am an O.B. nurse, work night shift on week ends. Working nights gives an extra challange to dieting!!!!! If you've never done it, you can not fully understand. Sometime there are 24 hour days like my Thursdays, I get up Thursday morning and don't get to bed until Friday morning, about every 4 hours I 'wanta eat something' even if it's just to help me stay awake. I haven't always been fat, but for the last 20+ years I just kept getting bigger and bigger. Every diet I've ever went on, and I think I've been on them all, I lost, only to gain back more than I origianally lost. Bad enough that it scares me to be on a diet. Surgery just 14 days away!

It is my second day of Clear Liquids only. My surgery is in the morning. I don't feel nervous or hungry although I am a little spaced out. I am curious to see how the surgery goes, how the band works and I feel like I can actually succeed - positive attitude always helps!

Congratulations Jenslapband!!

I will be banded a few days after you on Friday. I am getting nervous, I guess of the unknown. I want so much for this to work, I have failed at every other weight loss attempt. I know it is a tool and I am trying so hard to prepare in advance, to educate myself.

Let us know how you are doing when you can.

Audree

Welcome Jenslapband, TxPeaches, mcwms and nicknack34461, patsygrn and lala!

This is a great place for support! I am so glad to be a part of it.

Can you tell us a little about yourselves?

Audree

Kristi and Jen -- so excited for you! You'll both be in my thoughts tomorrow :girl_hug:

Maria

Patsygrn - I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. This must be an especially hard time of year for you.

Keep up the good work on your low carb diet. I have surgery next Tuesday and am planning to go low carb for the next week.

While I don't work nights (thank goodness), I did pick up a few shifts here and there on a previous job long ago. You're right - it messes with your body and you just want to eat all the time.

Keep us posted...

About me...I'm in the military (USAF) 17 yrs. Born/raised in TX however, left TX when I joined the mil. I retire in 3 years and I've battled my weight my entire life.

A month before my father passed he said to me that I need to keep my weight under control. After the roller coaster of the weight ups and downs (more ups than downs), I've decided to do this. Last year I had 5 family members have bypass and 4 seem to be doing ok. The other seems so frail and weak, I worry about him.

I'm married (7yrs) and I have a 2 y/o son, who we adopted (by choice...never tried to get PG) from Russia. He is such a blessing to our family!

I'm looking forward to this new year...may it be the best one yet :biggrin1: !

Audree- I just copied my previous post introducing myself below in case you missed it! It's great to meet everyone! I'm am getting more excited by the day! I am supposed to be following a full-liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-op and am really bored already! I don't have an actual date yet but since I'm self-pay and already have everthing out of the way (I only had to have a psych eval which was done by my social worker at work, a chest x-ray and cbc bloodwork) I expect to get a surgery date when I see my MD within the next couple of weeks. I thought I would go ahead and begin the liquid diet so I wouldn't have to wait for that time to pass either!

I've decided to jump aboard this January Bandster Train! I am so excited and ready to begin this journey! I had planned to have the surgery done in December but it had to be delayed due to my coming down with a horrible case of the flu that turned in to pneumonia. I'll share a little about myself: I'm 34 years old, married to a good ole Southern boy, and have a 13 step-daughter and a 4 year old daughter. I have a Master's Degree in Nursing and currently work as a Manager of a home health branch office. As I've gotten older as less active in athletics I've struggled more and more with my weight. I'm usually successful in losing the weight, but I have not had much luck with keeping the weight off and am hoping that the lapband will be the perfect tool to help me win this battle once and for all! I'm unable to participate in too strenuous an exercise program after having my second back surgery (this one a fusion with metal rods and screws inserted!), but do plan on beginning a serious walking routine soon! Since my insurance has a written exclusion I will be using funds from my 401K to pay for my surgery and am hoping that this investment in myself will be worth it! I hope to have a new surgery day soon and am excited to join Y'all as we begin this new year in our new lives!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Audree- I just copied my previous post introducing myself below in case you missed it! It's great to meet everyone! I'm am getting more excited by the day! I am supposed to be following a full-liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-op and am really bored already! I don't have an actual date yet but since I'm self-pay and already have everthing out of the way (I only had to have a psych eval which was done by my social worker at work, a chest x-ray and cbc bloodwork) I expect to get a surgery date when I see my MD within the next couple of weeks. I thought I would go ahead and begin the liquid diet so I wouldn't have to wait for that time to pass either!

I've decided to jump aboard this January Bandster Train! I am so excited and ready to begin this journey! I had planned to have the surgery done in December but it had to be delayed due to my coming down with a horrible case of the flu that turned in to pneumonia. I'll share a little about myself: I'm 34 years old, married to a good ole Southern boy, and have a 13 step-daughter and a 4 year old daughter. I have a Master's Degree in Nursing and currently work as a Manager of a home health branch office. As I've gotten older as less active in athletics I've struggled more and more with my weight. I'm usually successful in losing the weight, but I have not had much luck with keeping the weight off and am hoping that the lapband will be the perfect tool to help me win this battle once and for all! I'm unable to participate in too strenuous an exercise program after having my second back surgery (this one a fusion with metal rods and screws inserted!), but do plan on beginning a serious walking routine soon! Since my insurance has a written exclusion I will be using funds from my 401K to pay for my surgery and am hoping that this investment in myself will be worth it! I hope to have a new surgery day soon and am excited to join Y'all as we begin this new year in our new lives!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks Mary!! Nice to meet you. I also have stepchildren, 2 step daughters. I am not telling any of the kids. I am afraid of influening them in a bad way. None of them have weight problems. I had a Tummy Tuck and my 19 year old step daughter is already planning on keeping a savings account for her tummy tuck after she has kids. I don't want them to think surgery is the way.

I want so much to succeed! Audree

Hi there Mary~I to am a self-pay and we are worth every penny. I also have back problems like yourself. I have severe DJD between L4-5, but I refuse to have surgery until I'm dragging both legs. My back is doing remarkably great for the last few years so I really don't have a need for surgery yet. Good luck with your band...may you get a date soon :girl_hug:!

Good luck tomorrow, ladies....I'm right behind you. Nervous, excited, scared, anxious...just waiting for the next step. Glad to be in it with all of you guys. Whoever created this forum was a pure genius!!!! Check in with you guys tomorrow. Good night

Good luck to everyone as the January Banding begins!

I have a few weeks yet 'till banding, but I have been slowing 'hunting for and gathering' all the pre-op and post-op items that I'll need.

A little about myself...

I am 32, married and have a toddler daughter that I am blessed to be able to stay home with. I also have a little maltese dog that keeps me busy as well. I have been heavy all my life, but I never let it get me down. I was athletic through high school, which helped keep my weight down. During college came the parties, and a few more pounds. I've lost weight several times with the help of weight watchers and/or exercise, only to put it back on and then some. I didn't gain too much weight with the birth of my daughter, but it was enough to launch me into the serverly obese category and onto bandland... :girl_hug:

I am hoping the band will be the tool that I need take the weight off AND keep it off!

I have told my husband, sister and two close friends that I am getting this done. Everyone has been real supportive, which is great!

Here's to a new me!

I was on another thread and someone mentioned that if you have something stuck, to take a small sip of pineapple juice? That it would work like human drano? I guess maybe because of the acid in the pineapple juice. They got the info from another forum where people have had there bands longer.

Audree

Good Morning all! I'm back!!!! Sorry to be away for so long, but the weekends I just have a hard time getting online. My teenagers seems to "control" the computer. Plus, my home computer is not as fast as the one I have at work.

Lets all keep Txpeaches, 1721summ, Jenslapband in our prayers today. They are having their surgery. You guys will have to tell us all about it.

I will go thru the last few pages and catch up with everyone that has joined our group and update the list. Maybe we can update it once a week or so to keep the thread from being so long? Maybe that will help with the freezing up?

Everyone have a great day! I'll check back in later. I have a ton of emails to catch up on at work, and I must do some work today. lol.

Good Morning!!!

I wanted to ask how you put the link on the bottom of your signature for the link to your journal and our jan thead?

I copied the url, and then went up to the "quick Links" threads, and went into the "edit signature" and then pasted the url there. Hope this helps.