Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my IV in after a few tries' date=' just waiting for them to come get me now. Can't believe I'm here but ready for a new life![/quote']

Wow I was hoping u were done.

Please remember to walk walkwalk and walk. That will help so much with the gas pains. I wish you a speedy recovery. And congratulations, welcome to the sleeve side :-)

Hi everyone! I'm going to post an update later but wanted to thank you for the well wishes. My surgery with Dr Kelly ended up being at Oasis instead of Mi doctor (forgot to mention that the other day) and went well. I did encounter a bit of an issue but I'm past that and doing well now. I will write all about it later, jut going to get a few more hours sleep right now before my leak test in the morning.

Sorry your scared but its completely normal. You will do great.

Sorry your scared but its completely normal. You will do great.

I know. My surgery was Thursday. :P

Hi everyone! I'm going to post an update later but wanted to thank you for the well wishes. My surgery with Dr Kelly ended up being at Oasis instead of Mi doctor (forgot to mention that the other day) and went well. I did encounter a bit of an issue but I'm past that and doing well now. I will write all about it later' date=' jut going to get a few more hours sleep right now before my leak test in the morning.[/quote']

Glad to hear u r doing well now.

good luck :)

I am glad your doing well. I have been thinking about you. Take care

Hey all, sorry it's taken me awhile to get to this post but here it is, I'll try not to drag it out too much.

We got picked up at the TJ airport and after dropping off a patient who had surgery a few days prior at the hotel we headed for the hospital. Cecy informed me my surgery would be at Oasis of Hope instead of Mi doctor which I was fine with since I'd heard great things about all the hospitals. When we arrived I was taken in to for X-rays and then my friend and I were taken to our hospital room. Dr Kelly came in and introduced himself, asked if we had any questions, informed us about his staff, and generally just made me feel at ease with my decision. I was still nervous though of course and the struggle to get an IV in was a long difficult one that also became a bit stressful. Eventually my lovely nurse Ana did get it in though and the other doctor performed my EKG. My blood pressure was quite high from the nervousness but after some joking around and what not it was back to normal. Then it was off to surgery.

When I first came to, there were a lot of voices around and commotion, I think they were moving me to my other bed. I heard doctor Kelly say everything went well but then all I remember is not being able to breathe. I was taking small gasps of air and couldn't get anything it seemed. I told them I could not breathe and they for me an oxygen mask immediately. They were all fantastic. The honest truth is the first 8 hrs or so post surgery were horrendous. I was heaving/puking but it was just flem and blood. It made my insides feel like they were ripping apart, I was trying to keep from thinking like "what have I done" but the question did creep into my wad a few times, I really felt like I was dying. The nurses were all very attentive though and my best friend was a huge help as she just kept telling me that all I had to do was get through that first night BS it would be ok. Unfortunately the morphine wasn't helping so the nurse called dr Kelly at home to see if I could have something else. They had me shower and then take a walk before giving it to me as they said it would essentially knock me on my ass because it was ten times stronger than morphine and the strongest thing in the hospital. I was desperate for the relief of the drug but when that one didn't help my pain either, I felt so helpless at that point. Somehow with the help of my friend I battled through it mentally and physically and by morning I was able to fall asleep for a short while I woke up feeling MUCH better.

When Dr Kelly came to see me he quizzed me about if I'd taken blood thinners prior which I told him I hadn't, and he said that my blood was very thin and I had a lot of bleeding and they had to do a lot of suctioning and such. He told me that was the reason for all my pain. I have no idea why my blood is so oddly thin but asked dr Kelly if that's something I should be concerned about moving forward. Later that day my friend told me that after the surgery that dr Kelly had also asked her if I'd been taking anything and maybe just didn't want to tell. She assured him I had not but that just goes to show how thorough dr Kelly is and how important it is to follow the pre op directions and to be as familiar with your own health as possible.

So although that first while was absolutely excruciating I'm feeling a million times better now, and am so glad that I went thru with the surgery. I had my leak test yesterday and everything was good. I was able to drink half a Gatorade and about 1/2 cup of broth so I think I'm doing pretty good. I don't feel hungry at all but my tummy is rumbling a lot.

All in all after my experience the one thing I can't stress enough is how amazing dr Kelly is. He gives so much time to his patients and explains anything and everything and checks up on you regularly. He's just a genuinely good person along with being an amazing surgeon and we look forward to him visiting us in our hometown and going salsa dancing as he promised.

Now I'm on a new road to a happier and healthier life, I just have to let it sink in that its real because I can still hardly believe its all done and over with! :)

So glad you are doing better! The worst part is behind you, and it sounds like you had excellent care. And it's really important to follow pre- op instructions! Thank you for sharing your story, it helps me to prepare, for when its my time!

I will start taking Salsa lessons so I can be prepared for my home visit with Dr Kelly! LOL, actually, that does sound fun. Maybe I can put that on the list of things I can when I'm smaller and more agile!

So glad you are doing better!

Salsha, thank-you for sharing this. You did everything right - but I think when we hear our pre-op instructions like discontinue NSAIDs and blood thinners and we know thin blood is bad but it's sort of abstract. Your story makes the consequences very real: your dr will have a hard time and you could be hurting for a while when you wake up.

Thank heavens you are ok and feeling better!

I actually had no idea why the rules were to not take Advil during the two weeks or the dangers of thin blood in general, but I followed the instruction because it was an easy one to follow. Lol

I am still perplexed as to why my blood is like that though and will likely have further testing done.

I definitely wouldn't wish that pain on anyone!

Something else that Dr Kelly told me is that people with diabetes generally don't have any pain from the surgery so that should make anyone with diabetes less scared about what to expect during recovery.

Hey all, sorry it's taken me awhile to get to this post but here it is, I'll try not to drag it out too much.

We got picked up at the TJ airport and after dropping off a patient who had surgery a few days prior at the hotel we headed for the hospital. Cecy informed me my surgery would be at Oasis of Hope instead of Mi doctor which I was fine with since I'd heard great things about all the hospitals. When we arrived I was taken in to for X-rays and then my friend and I were taken to our hospital room. Dr Kelly came in and introduced himself, asked if we had any questions, informed us about his staff, and generally just made me feel at ease with my decision. I was still nervous though of course and the struggle to get an IV in was a long difficult one that also became a bit stressful. Eventually my lovely nurse Ana did get it in though and the other doctor performed my EKG. My blood pressure was quite high from the nervousness but after some joking around and what not it was back to normal. Then it was off to surgery.

When I first came to, there were a lot of voices around and commotion, I think they were moving me to my other bed. I heard doctor Kelly say everything went well but then all I remember is not being able to breathe. I was taking small gasps of air and couldn't get anything it seemed. I told them I could not breathe and they for me an oxygen mask immediately. They were all fantastic. The honest truth is the first 8 hrs or so post surgery were horrendous. I was heaving/puking but it was just flem and blood. It made my insides feel like they were ripping apart, I was trying to keep from thinking like "what have I done" but the question did creep into my wad a few times, I really felt like I was dying. The nurses were all very attentive though and my best friend was a huge help as she just kept telling me that all I had to do was get through that first night BS it would be ok. Unfortunately the morphine wasn't helping so the nurse called dr Kelly at home to see if I could have something else. They had me shower and then take a walk before giving it to me as they said it would essentially knock me on my ass because it was ten times stronger than morphine and the strongest thing in the hospital. I was desperate for the relief of the drug but when that one didn't help my pain either, I felt so helpless at that point. Somehow with the help of my friend I battled through it mentally and physically and by morning I was able to fall asleep for a short while I woke up feeling MUCH better.

When Dr Kelly came to see me he quizzed me about if I'd taken blood thinners prior which I told him I hadn't, and he said that my blood was very thin and I had a lot of bleeding and they had to do a lot of suctioning and such. He told me that was the reason for all my pain. I have no idea why my blood is so oddly thin but asked dr Kelly if that's something I should be concerned about moving forward. Later that day my friend told me that after the surgery that dr Kelly had also asked her if I'd been taking anything and maybe just didn't want to tell. She assured him I had not but that just goes to show how thorough dr Kelly is and how important it is to follow the pre op directions and to be as familiar with your own health as possible.

So although that first while was absolutely excruciating I'm feeling a million times better now, and am so glad that I went thru with the surgery. I had my leak test yesterday and everything was good. I was able to drink half a Gatorade and about 1/2 cup of broth so I think I'm doing pretty good. I don't feel hungry at all but my tummy is rumbling a lot.

All in all after my experience the one thing I can't stress enough is how amazing dr Kelly is. He gives so much time to his patients and explains anything and everything and checks up on you regularly. He's just a genuinely good person along with being an amazing surgeon and we look forward to him visiting us in our hometown and going salsa dancing as he promised.

Now I'm on a new road to a happier and healthier life, I just have to let it sink in that its real because I can still hardly believe its all done and over with! :)

WOW! What an experience. I'm glad your friend was with you to help you thru it.

We're about to get hit with another snow storm with ice tonight and into Tuesday. I was supposed to be flying back on Monday. So I guess its good that things have been postponed. Can't wait to join you on the other side.