Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

protein drink before or after

Hello everyone,

So I been going to the gym everyday this week since i am now allowed to lift. I been taking my Protein drink about a hour before going to the gym. then I com home take my Vitamins then eat about 1-2 hours after that (3-4 hours after the Protein drink). Should I take the Protein Drink after my work out? will it help more?

Like to hear from the people that lift. Also do you take anything else to help?

I would definitely drink the Protein Shake as soon as you can after lifting. I don't know the exact time frame, but there is a limited window after resistance training to take in Protein, after that you risk your muscles going into a catabolic state. For me the best thing before exercise is a small snack of some kind of low sugar carbs to give me the fuel to workout...and the protein afterward to recover.

I try and eat clean all the time to keep my general health optimal. Before a workout I like to eat an energy square from nuts.com and drink a pre-work out drink. I have been using Cellular C4 for a few weeks, but am now cycling onto another for a few weeks so my body does not adapt. During an hour run, I sometimes have a second energy square around 30 min, but have not been needing it lately. After my workout, I drink an amp 60 Protein shake for recovery within 20 min. I heard that the pre workout drink expands the time window of effectively absorbing Protein, but I really do not know. Running also makes me hungry so I am usually eating my lunch within 1.5 hours. Then I am back on my eat every 3 hour schedule. I recommend the pre workout drink because it allows you to bust through barriers and push yourself. Hope this helps.

Edit: I also take a special men's athletic Vitamin pack from GNC every morning as soon as I wake up. These are expensive (55 dollars for 60 individual packages of 6-7 vitamins). They help alot with focus, energy and stamina in addition to daily Vitamin needs.

thanks

sleeve master- what energy squares do you use? they all seem high in sugar

thanks

sleeve master- what energy squares do you use? they all seem high in sugar

I order the chocolate paradise energy squares from nuts.com. They consist mainly of good carbs to give me energy for long runs.

The optimum time for a recovery/protien drink after workout is within 60 minutes...the sooner the better for greatest benefit. You might want to do some research about "fasting work-outs" there is plenty of research and writing out there about the benefits of fasting before a work-out and the positive effects it has on using fat stores...loosing more weight. Much of the talk says that even a few fasted work-outs a week are a good and beneficial mix to get improved results. Of course it can effect your performance during work-out and you might have to go easier than you would having "fueled" before exercise or you'll find yourself "bonking" (just not being able to get through it). But even with the decreased performance during the workout you may experience greater benefit.

The "optimum" window is sketchy science, there are plenty of articles supporting it, and plenty denying it, but those who believe in it state within 3 hours, preferably within 45-60 minutes after. I've never been one to chug Protein right after a work out and I've always made good gains in the gym.

The optimum time for a recovery/protien drink after workout is within 60 minutes...the sooner the better for greatest benefit. You might want to do some research about "fasting work-outs" there is plenty of research and writing out there about the benefits of fasting before a work-out and the positive effects it has on using fat stores...loosing more weight. Much of the talk says that even a few fasted work-outs a week are a good and beneficial mix to get improved results. Of course it can effect your performance during work-out and you might have to go easier than you would having "fueled" before exercise or you'll find yourself "bonking" (just not being able to get through it). But even with the decreased performance during the workout you may experience greater benefit.

Interesting comment on fasting before a workout. I'll experiment with it and see what happens.

I wouldn't do any workout fasting unless it was just a cardio day. If you can't go all out on weight day, there's not a reason to even do weights. If you can't perform and do what you need to do because you're fasting and feeling weak and dizzy, I don't see that as beneficial. Fasted cardio, right after you wake up, has been around for years, and has stood the test of time with many elite athletes. Fasted weight sessions make zero sense to me though, my .02.

I've talked with my personal trainer before about this before and suggested healthy carbs before a workout and protien afterwards . Fuel to start your workout and protien afterwards for recovery. Seems to work for me..so i usually drink Isopure afterwards in the glass bottles or a protien shake 40-60g of protien

Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to exercise, supplements and diet. This is what I do but there is always room for improvement or modification. I have only been back in the gym 2 weeks so take what I do with a grain of salt and find out what works for you. What works for one person might not work for you.

I am following a workout program that has me doing cardio after some lifting days and only cardio on rest days. On rest days where I only do cardio I make sure to do it on an empty stomach. I love the feeling of cardio on an empty stomach and agree with some articles on the subject.

On days I only lift as well as days I do cardio after lifting I like to drink a Protein shake mixed with 8oz of black coffee about 30-45min before my workout. I get some Protein, a little carbs and the coffee gives me a little kick during my workouts. I would love to eat more carbs pre-workout but I am trying to stay below 50g daily. Once I am in maintenance everything will obviously change and I probably will eat a pre-workout meal rather than drinking a shake.< /p>

After my workouts, whether lifting, cardio or a combo of both I drink a Protein Shake mixed with almond milk. I try and drink this about 30mins after my workout. I think I might add some Glutamine to this shake next week to help with recovery. About 1-2 hours after this shake I try and have my first meal of the day. This first meal of the day is the meal I eat the most carbs. I tapper my carbs down throughout the day and try not to eat any carbs for my last meal or after 7pm.

I plan to keep this up for a little while until I see some gains in the gym and my body gets use to working out daily, I am thinking after I finish this 12 week program I am going to step it up and invest is some quality supplements. I want to incorporate a pre-workout drink that contains Creatine as its main ingredient, Cellucor c4. Add Glutamine into my post workout drink, Optimum nutrition Glutamine powder, Casein Protein Powder for my last shake of the day before bed, Optimum nutrition Casein. Lastly I want to try this product called Animal PM. Its a night time anabolic recovery stack that also helps you fall asleep. I get abour 5-6 hours sleep mainly because I have trouble falling asleep.

Anyways I believe your workout programs and your post and pre-workout meals should always be modified for the better. Especially your workouts... change it up every couple weeks. I wouldn't invest in any supplements other then a good protein isolate and maybe some Glutamine. I am waiting at least 3 months before getting into more supplements other the Protein Powder.< /p>

Good luck and do your research... take what I say with a grain of salt. It what works for me and like I said what I do is probably always going to be changing or evolving.

Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to exercise' date=' supplements and diet. This is what I do but there is always room for improvement or modification. I have only been back in the gym 2 weeks so take what I do with a grain of salt and find out what works for you. What works for one person might not work for you.

I am following a workout program that has me doing cardio after some lifting days and only cardio on rest days. On rest days where I only do cardio I make sure to do it on an empty stomach. I love the feeling of cardio on an empty stomach and agree with some articles on the subject.

On days I only lift as well as days I do cardio after lifting I like to drink a Protein shake mixed with 8oz of black coffee about 30-45min before my workout. I get some Protein, a little carbs and the coffee gives me a little kick during my workouts. I would love to eat more carbs pre-workout but I am trying to stay below 50g daily. Once I am in maintenance everything will obviously change and I probably will eat a pre-workout meal rather than drinking a shake.< /p>

After my workouts, whether lifting, cardio or a combo of both I drink a Protein Shake mixed with almond milk. I try and drink this about 30mins after my workout. I think I might add some Glutamine to this shake next week to help with recovery. About 1-2 hours after this shake I try and have my first meal of the day. This first meal of the day is the meal I eat the most carbs. I tapper my carbs down throughout the day and try not to eat any carbs for my last meal or after 7pm.

I plan to keep this up for a little while until I see some gains in the gym and my body gets use to working out daily, I am thinking after I finish this 12 week program I am going to step it up and invest is some quality supplements. I want to incorporate a pre-workout drink that contains Creatine as its main ingredient, Cellucor c4. Add Glutamine into my post workout drink, Optimum nutrition Glutamine powder, Casein protein powder for my last shake of the day before bed, Optimum nutrition Casein. Lastly I want to try this product called Animal PM. Its a night time anabolic recovery stack that also helps you fall asleep. I get abour 5-6 hours sleep mainly because I have trouble falling asleep.

Anyways I believe your workout programs and your post and pre-workout meals should always be modified for the better. Especially your workouts... change it up every couple weeks. I wouldn't invest in any supplements other then a good protein isolate and maybe some Glutamine. I am waiting at least 3 months before getting into more supplements other the protein powder.

Good luck and do your research... take what I say with a grain of salt. It what works for me and like I said what I do is probably always going to be changing or evolving.[/quote']

It sounds like

I

Found my personal trainer on here lol... Can you befriend me? I can't from my phone;)