Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The defining moment you knew

...that it was time to do something about weightloss... Mine was when I wait 1hr in line to go on the superman roller coaster and I couldn't strap all the way in and had to do the walk of shame off the ride leaving my boyfriend on and felt like EVERYONE watched, and then having him feel like consoling me after when all I wanted to do is hide in a closet, that was last time I went to amusement park 2yrs ago

Probably after my father died, he was a diabetic for over 40 years and although he lived a long life, the last 6 months of his life were pure hell all due to diabetes. I'm not a diabetic and I didn't want to become one. Diabetes is such an insidious disease and if I could avoid It I needed to make some serious changes.

Been there, done that. My last try was a roller coaster at Islands of Adventure in Florida. Even the fat seat wasn't quite big enough for me.

Lets see, could it have been the same inconsiderate person asking me on 2 different occassions when I was 'due'? Or distant relatives saying "well if you are happy at that size then it shouldnt matter what others think"? Or always having to squeeze into a restaurant booth? Or being ashamed to even eat in front of people for fear of being judged? Or always having to shop in the big girls section at any store and only fitting into clothes my gramma would wear? Or not being able to reach to shave the back side of my legs? Or having to be a contortionist to wipe my ass? Pick one. I lived with constant humiliation and shame. Now I dont shop at the big girl stores, no one asks if Im pregnant, people are amazed at how little I eat at one time, I can fit in any booth, shave my legs and wipe my ass like a champ :) I love my sleeve. I have so much energy, I sleep great and most importantly, Im proud of myself.

Honestly and this might be TMI but its the truth , When I could no longer reach to wipe my backside after using the restroom .... went and looked at some pics and noticed I looked like Jabba the hut and said enough is enough .... That was my turning point

I'm a bit of an anomaly, as I had made peace with being overweight. It made me miserable when I was younger, but the more I struggled with it the older I got, I figured I could either continue to be miserable or... I could make peace with myself and be happy, even when fat. So I did.

I pursued weight loss surgery on a whim after being told that my insurance didn't require a six month wait if you were over a certain BMI with comorbidities. Up until that point, the idea of a six month pre-op diet was so repulsive to me that I refused to even think about doing it. I figured that I had tried everything else up to that point, so I could try this and I would either succeed, and things would be different, or that I would fail and I could at least say that I had tried everything.

So far, it's been successful. We'll see how it goes a few years from now.

Bunny and Mel I can relate to those moments too! I used to always ask for a booth and now I prefer tables, also hate the fat that my belly sticks out farther than my boobs and I'm a size F!

I definitely agree with the picture thing. As much as it hurts to admit it, wiping has become a chore.

I had already started the nutritionist appoints when this moment happened, but it definitely contributes to what I'm doing.

I'm a paramedic, and a lot of my partners want to be fire fighters so they are physically fit. I started working with a new person, and he was showing me pictures on his phone, when he happened to have one of me on there, from the back. I never confronted him about it, but deep down we all know that he was making fun of me to someone. That hurt...

My final realization point came when me and my wife separated, my wife is not good at being a parent so the kids stayed with me and that is when I realized if something were to happen to me she would have to take the kids and I didn't think that would be good for them, so I felt I needed to get healthy so I could continue to be around for my kids. Fortunately since then me and the wife have reconciled and she is getting a lot better with the kids.

...that it was time to do something about weightloss... Mine was when I wait 1hr in line to go on the superman roller coaster and I couldn't strap all the way in and had to do the walk of shame off the ride leaving my boyfriend on and felt like EVERYONE watched' date=' and then having him feel like consoling me after when all I wanted to do is hide in a closet, that was last time I went to amusement park 2yrs ago[/quote']

This happened to me the very first time I lost 50 pounds. I gained it all back and repeated this cycle 4 times before I had surgery. Before surgery I was working out, eating somewhat healthy and stayed at 280 no matter what I did. I honestly think going up and down 50 pounds so many times shot my metabolism. Then I got pregnant. After having my baby, I was 296 pounds....318 while pregnant. I said, "no more!" I flew out to MX and had the surgery 7 weeks after having my son. Now I've lost those 50 pounds again and have stalled! I'm ok with that because I know this time, I won't be gaining it back!

I'm a paramedic, and a lot of my partners want to be fire fighters so they are physically fit. I started working with a new person, and he was showing me pictures on his phone, when he happened to have one of me on there, from the back. I never confronted him about it, but deep down we all know that he was making fun of me to someone. That hurt...

I am also a paramedic and can completely understand where your coming from about working with people who are physically fit. It always seems odd to me that people in EMS are either extremely fit or extremely unfit don't find many in the middle. Good luck.

Bunny and Mel I can relate to those moments too! I used to always ask for a booth and now I prefer tables' date=' also hate the fat that my belly sticks out farther than my boobs and I'm a size F![/quote']

Realizing that my already expensive bras were no longer fitting me. I refuse to buy a bra a size larger. No more. My husband always having to adjust the booths at restaurants bc between my boobs and my tummy it was a tight squeeze.

I have struggled with my weight for years and intuitively knew that I needed to get a lap band surgery to help get my weight down. I seen my son gain weight as a young adult and knew that I needed to be a good role model for him. I did talk to my PCP at Kaiser and he told me my BMI was too low and prescribed diet pills. I hated the feeling of the diet pills and after 1 week, I would still get hungry. So I refused to take them and about 1 year later was talking with my PCP and asked him if he could provide follow up appointments after I went to Mexico for my surgery. He then was willing to diagnoses me with diabetes and that opened up the door for my surgery. However, and I'm so thankful, at the orientation I learned about the sleeve and that it was permanent. :) So I chose the sleeve. During the required options class,I also got an ephiany that I really didn't need to eat much food either. Now that was a big switch for me and I cut my meals into halves. I love my sleeve, I just hate my bounce up at times. now I am working on getting my exercise in because I still want to lose about 5 lbs. But otherwise, my BMI is really good. :)

I have to agree about the restaurant booth thing- it would cause me anxiety wondering if I would fit. I'm sorry, that is something nobody should agonize over.

-Kendra

I have always been fat. Always. There were 4good years in my college days where I lost 90lbs! When I was 20 I lost 90lbs all through eating right and working out. I maintained for two years until I was legal to drink and all that went down the drain. Then when I was in grad school I used money I got from a grant to get the LapBand in Mexico. I lost 80lbs but the band failed me and I gained it all back and then some in a year. A year later I gained 110pounds! Who gains THAT much?!!!! It was so sad.

The moment I realized I wanted to lose was this past year I was pregnant and miscarried. I was so sad because I really was happy and excited and was willing to do anything for this little pea inside of me. But when I lost it I got depressed and just didn't care. My partner is such a great man he lifted me up and told me he wants to try again once we are married and I got excited to think about everything I could have in the near future. But I didn't want to be 260lbs and pregnant like I was. I did not want to gain more. I didn't want to get diabetes while pregnant or have a high risk pregnancy. I just could NOT go through one more miscarriage. So I talked to my boyfriend about the sleeve as my surgeon had recommended for me. He was the most supportive person because my boyfriend had lost his own son at 9months from a risky pregnancy he didn't want to risk any pregnancy anymore. This is our plan and I am 6 weeks out just waiting to lose 100lbs (-30down) and we are talking about a wedding, my 30th bday and a baby in a 2years and I will be healthy in all the pictures. Sometimes at night I close my eyes and picture all these moments and what they/I will look like.

So far it's been worth it but damn this biological clock is ticking. I need constant reminders of my purpose and goals.

:)