Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read alot of good things that come of this But whats the bad if any?

Give it to me straight. We have all heard the good things the weight loss strories, the before and after pics, the fun trips shopping...but if you could say 1 bad thing anything that came of this what would it be? I am a realist and would like to be prepared for the whole story.

I think if you did a search with the word "regret" or "leak" you would see a lot of people that are not happy for whatever reason.

But if your looking for everyday down sides..

Well I wish I could drink with my meals.

I sometimes wish I could eat and enjoy food like I did before, I know that sounds weird but what can I say.

Oh and the constant battle to not get constipated. That's always a fun one

Ok, here is one thing I did not expect. I though that the surgery was going to free me from having food be the center of my life. I thought I would shed it and move on. So far, that is not so. Physically, I probably could have returned to work a few days ago, but instead, I am having to stick around the house and monitor my Fluid and Protein intake like I am a fragile machine. It has been a full time job just getting 60g of protein, 64 oz of fluid and all my different Vitamins in. My husband and I are both doctors (not MD) and this has taken our combined efforts to work out. I believe this situation will get better but so far it is frustrating.

hmmm.... lets see.... the frequent admiring looks from strangers. The getting hit on, for the first time in DECADES. There is the "wow, you are hot" remarks - that can become very burdensome over time.

Uh, the perfect blood work and zero prescriptions, no CPAP etc etc.

Let's not forget my older sister commenting today that I must really workout because my shoulders and arms look great (ok, this was in sleeves, so no visible skin). The horrible side effects of losing nearly 150 pounds... they just go on and on. :)

I know you aren't asking advice, but you need an excellent NUT who specializes in gastric sleeve. It is hard to adjust to at first, but now it is no problem... my NUT was my coach and inspiration during much of that difficult time.

Ok, here is one thing I did not expect. I though that the surgery was going to free me from having food be the center of my life. I thought I would shed it and move on. So far, that is not so. Physically, I probably could have returned to work a few days ago, but instead, I am having to stick around the house and monitor my Fluid and Protein intake like I am a fragile machine. It has been a full time job just getting 60g of Protein, 64 oz of Fluid and all my different Vitamins in. My husband and I are both doctors (not MD) and this has taken our combined efforts to work out. I believe this situation will get better but so far it is frustrating.

Hehehehe.. True to that one food wait 30 minutes liquid wait 30 minutes food wait again !!

It is like a full time job!! If you have a busy day and get behind! Forget about it! That's what I'm doing right now trying to get more Fluid in so I can go to bed.

Thanks Cowgirl btw you are ONLY 2 PONDS FROM GOAL!!!

I bet your in heaven..

I know you aren't asking advice' date=' but you need an excellent NUT who specializes in gastric sleeve. It is hard to adjust to at first, but now it is no problem... my NUT was my coach and inspiration during much of that difficult time.

[/quote']

Is the nut going to eat my food and drink my Water for me? :P

Honestly did any of you stop in your tracks one day and say to yourself..OMG most of my stomache is gone and I will never eat a real meal again...thats a fear Im having..

Cowgirl,

The NUT is the one who has me chained to an every 15 minute schedule right now. I am only 13 days out so I know this will improve when I advance tomorrow. It is just impossible to do my work when my entire waking day is occupied - in 15 minute increments- with taking in nutrition of some sort or another. I also understand the rationale behind it. It takes awhile to get used to understanding the needs of your new body. I was expressing frustration that I had not anticipated having to be more fixated on food than I was before.

Jacee,

Yes. There was a moment for me when I grasped that I had figuratively gnawed my own arm off to escape the trap that food had become. But I will tell you that, despite the little frustrations, my overwhelming feeling is RELIEF. I am free.

And as far as never eating again. I have friends 4 years out who eat like normal people only in smaller amounts. I am not afraid.

Honestly did any of you stop in your tracks one day and say to yourself..OMG most of my stomache is gone and I will never eat a real meal again...thats a fear Im having..

Sometimes I do miss having the ability to go all out on a meal. Mentally it's hard to break that desire. After all, I have a lot of good memories associated with my old eating habits. I can't really complain, though.

If I had to pick one downside, I'd say it's how sensitive my stomach has become. I was the bearer of an eat anything love everything stomach pre-op. Now, certain things just make me go "eww, no" because my stomach just rolls at the mere idea of some foods. Also, my recovery time from stomach related illness seems to be much longer than it was before.

So true, Gamer.

My stomach feels like a fragile little bird. I hope I get to kick it's sorry butt out if the nest soon. I have a life to live.

SMO when was your surgery? Because gamer wasnt yours awhile ago?

2/4/13. Just 13 days ago. I have lost 18 lbs in those 13 days. A total of 34 counting pre-op.