Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes, considering "starvation mode" is largely mythical

if your intake is low consistantly your body does start using your muscle for energy, how is that mythical?

I should clarify that starvation mode (god, even the term makes me cringe) as most of us know it, is largely mythical. I've gone into great detail about this more than once here so it should be easy to find with the search function but I will include some links for some better explanations about why most dieters really misunderstand it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

I had my sleeve done on January 14th so I'm almost 5 weeks post op. I still feel hungry but it's different. It doesn't build gradually like it used to it just hits me like bam! My Protein Shake is 140 calories for 1 scoop but it is 26 grams of Protein and I usually have that with 8 oz of 1% milk. I also run twice a day about a mile and a half each time so I eat a little before and a little after. I have lost 61 pounds so far and am excited for the next time I weigh in

I had my sleeve done on January 14th so I'm almost 5 weeks post op. I still feel hungry but it's different. It doesn't build gradually like it used to it just hits me like bam! My Protein shake is 140 calories for 1 scoop but it is 26 grams of Protein and I usually have that with 8 oz of 1% milk. I also run twice a day about a mile and a half each time so I eat a little before and a little after. I have lost 61 pounds so far and am excited for the next time I weigh in

I absolutely agree with that too low a calories will tank the metabolism. I also desire to live a normal eatting pattern so my thoughts are much more in line with steel of sleeve than others. However no need to waste calories unnecessarily so I would switch to Premier Protein shake if I were you. They are 160 calories, 30g protien and only 5 carb. I find them delicious. They are available at Sam's club and Castco.

Weight loss is such an individualized thing. I have hit that horrible stall before. I had to up my calorie for a few days then drop my calories back down a while to get the scale moving. I have lost 34lb since early November and was sleeve 12/5 so I am by manys standards a slow loser. Also keeping carbs below 50 seems to be my key. I currently weigh 247 and that is a lower weight than I have been in over 20 years so I am not totally bummed with my progress.

My current goals are 800 calories, 50 Carbs, and 80 grams protein. I am usually just in on calories and carb and over on protein by a good bit. I really need to up my Fluid intake. Most by Fluid if Decaf coffee, I need to do alot better in that area! It is a process and I have much improved my eatting and exercise lifestyle but there is room for improvement. More fluid and more consistent exercise will get me where I want to be.

How do you get enough calories in when I am full at 1/2 to half cup of food?

I was thinking of eating between my meals or every two hours a few bites. It's so hard to eat all your food then try and get your Water in. Especially when you have wait before and after each time you each time you eat!

HI JP,

I am in the same boat as you, can't take more than 1/2 otherwise it feels like food will come back up. And water/fluids is challenging coz I have to wait, otherwise it feels weird going down. I had surgery with Dr. Robert Li, and Dr. David Le saw me post op. How nice to see another KP patient. I had my surgery 1/16/13.

One of the reasons my caloric intake stays around 600-800 is because I'm really no longer compelled to eat. Prior to surgery I'd eat anything and everything put in front of me. I'd eat large portions without much regard to how much I was putting in my body. Now? I eat to get my nutritional requirements (Protein and water) and I generally stop eating once I've finished those up. I eat every 2 or 3 hours in order to do so, which really leaves me feeling like I spend most of the day eating.

Sure, if I changed what I was eating, I'd have a higher caloric intake, but eating more just to eat more usually leaves me feeling ill these days.

Steel,

I'd be interested in hearing more about the game plan that helped you be successful.

I've been concerned about my low caloric intake. I (average about 800 per day, and often times I limit it to that even if I'm hungry. What I'm finding is that I've already had several stalls and my weight loss at 8 weeks post op is not at the rate I'd have expected. I want to make the most of these first six months, you know?

What did your diet and exercise plan look like? If you have any journaling examples of both that you could send me, I'd be happy to provide my email address.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

sorry forgot to also say that my Protein also only has 2 grams of sugar.

Thats pretty good then, it must just be a big one.

Sleeve of Steel, how did you get your caloric intake up so quickly post-op? I"m pre-op and I think this is a common concern for us newbies. I don't want to be eating 600 calories for life. I think I could be comfortable at 1200 for the rest of my life with the help of the sleeve. But with the major restriction at the beginning, I just don't understand how you can get the calorie intake very high the first few months.

This is very informative and thanks for sharing.

I was able to get my cals up to 1200 around 2-3 months I think. I did not like the idea of eating so few cals a day, although I lost 45 pounds in the first 3 months I think.

my typical day eating 1200 cals- (fyi I am maintaining now, actually pregnant so I am eating about 2000 a day)

Breakfast: I would get this at 6:30am on the way to work and nibble and sip until 8

large iced vanilla latte from caribou coffee (with 2% milk and not sugar free syrup) 200 cals 8g Protein

turkey bacon mini sandwich from caribou 190 cals and 8g Protein.

Snack: mini babybel cheese 60 cals 6 protein.

Lunch: egg salad (2 small eggs) with regular miracle whip: 200 cals, 12 gram protein.

snack: 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese and a few cheezit crackers 200 cals 12g protein

dinner: tuna helper (basically tuna casserole, heavy on the tuna) 1/2 cup or so 180 cals 9g protein

dessert/ snack: chobani 2% vanilla choc. chunk yogurt 140 cals 9g protein

total: 1110 cals, and 64 grams of protein-- this was a pretty typical day.

let me know if you have questions

I am 6 weeks out before I could only eat 350-400 calories a day now I am eating 750-l200 calories a day even though I am eating healthy I am feeling hungry every 1.5 to 2 hrs my surgeon says that's fine and it actually helps lose weight since body doesn't feel it's starving and therefore don't store fat but I still want 2nd opinion I am soo concerned i was told no salad :( The funny thing is nothing bothers my stomach I enjoy my skinny grande latte twice a day that's add 260 calories I was eating peanuts everyday but I threw them out today cause even though its good cholesterol it adds a lot of calories I eat 2 -4 sugar free Popsicles a day which is 25 calories each Water has been a constant struggle for me sometimes I go whole day without it my doctor told me to mix apple juice in it since I hate the taste of aspartame rest all I eat is baby bell cheese cheese turkey and chicken along with Protein Shake I thought I was dehydrated but my surgeon did all the tests yesterday and surprisingly I was fine .i am losing weight slowly every day but what concerns me is that everyone else is consuming 600 calories and me 950-1100 and I am really hungry ? I did lose almost 33 lbs so far my starting weight was 283.5 and now its 250.7

I absolutely agree with that too low a calories will tank the metabolism. I also desire to live a normal eatting pattern so my thoughts are much more in line with steel of sleeve than others. However no need to waste calories unnecessarily so I would switch to premier Protein shake if I were you. They are 160 calories' date=' 30g protien and only 5 carb. I find them delicious. They are available at Sam's club and Castco.

Weight loss is such an individualized thing. I have hit that horrible stall before. I had to up my calorie for a few days then drop my calories back down a while to get the scale moving. I have lost 34lb since early November and was sleeve 12/5 so I am by manys standards a slow loser. Also keeping carbs below 50 seems to be my key. I currently weigh 247 and that is a lower weight than I have been in over 20 years so I am not totally bummed with my progress.

My current goals are 800 calories, 50 Carbs, and 80 grams Protein. I am usually just in on calories and carb and over on protein by a good bit. I really need to up my Fluid intake. Most by Fluid if Decaf coffee, I need to do alot better in that area! It is a process and I have much improved my eatting and exercise lifestyle but there is room for improvement. More fluid and more consistent exercise will get me where I want to be.[/quote']

Premier is the best

It's scary to know how much we can eat