Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you question the surgery or were you sure?

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for months. I have gone through the pre-screening, psych, and u/s for surgery and meet with the surgeon to get my date tomorrow.

Were any of you not 100% sure you wanted this? I am doing WW right now for the billionth time to try to get myself healthier before I go under and now I am thinking, can I do this on my own? I don't know why this would be any different since i can usually lose 40 of my 100 excess pounds and then gain it back. It is easy to be motivated in the beginning. I am just thinking I cannot waste another year of my life yo-yo dieting. I have to do this once and for all and the band may bethe only way I will succeed. I am just curious if those of you who were getting banded had any doubts or were gung-ho fromt he beginning? Thanks.

~Kay

Like most people in my situation, I spent a large amount of time researching the band and my options. By the time I booked the surgery, I was definitely sure.

That said, in the week leading up to the surgery I was a nervous wreck and when they wheeled me in to the lil waiting bay where you wait for them to cart you in to theatre, had my knees not been so weak, I would have gotten up and RAN outta there.

I'm so glad I didn't though! I love my band and the opportunities it has provided me with.

I am trying to decide the same thing... I was sure until I heard about the spitting? how common are erosions, golf balls? what is that, pb? what about relux, is it common? I can live the way I am but have to admitt I feel ashamed the I have to go to these length to have a normal life... do alot of people have to get them replaced. Lori

Hi Lori, I don't regret it for 1 minute. I have changed the way I look at food completely. I am more satisfied and less hungry now. I yo yo dieted my whole life. I NEVER

sorry.....I never have lost 30 lbs without dieting. This isn't a diet. This is a lifestyle that goes with you wherever to are. Your band is your friend!

Hello,

You feel pretty much as I do right now. I have also gone through all the necessary steps for my surgery. I acutallly had a date, it was October 6th then 2 days before my surgery, I called and postponed it.

I also think can I do this on my own, I tried Atkins diet & lost 38 lbs then gained it back, I also tried WW but it didn't work.

A coworker of mine lost around 100 lbs on weight watchers & everytime I see her I think I can do it to, but in reality I cant I think I need some help I never thought I would turn to weight loss surgery, but I know Lap Band is the less invasive surgery, and if it doesn't go well you know It can be removed, that's why I think I am going to go ahead with Lap Band. I am not mentally ready for gastric bypass and Lap Band good for me.

I have another date Nov 27th.

I hope you choose the right choice for yourself, I am tired of yoyo dieting also you have to at least give yourself credit for all the efforts and attempts you tried on losing weight.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for all of your replies. I got my surgery date today and am no feeling like this is more real. I think I felt like it was still jsut being researched. I understand what I am doing and I am looking forward to starting a new life.

My state and city was one of the last to start doing the band. They did the gastro in lots of places, but I knew the band was for me. I was my surgeon's first lapband patient....talk about ready and anxious. That was almost two years ago.

I agree. I'm scheduled to have the surgery in January and I keep second guessing myself. I looked into Gastric Bypass about a year ago, and just couldn't handle the idea of the drastic physiological changes, so I really think the band is the way to go for me.

I admit I am embarassed that I can't seem to solve my weight issues on my own, but I have tried time and time and think this is the solution.

~Lori

Lori,

I have been feeling the same. Feeling like a failure that I cannot do this on my own. Deep down I know it is not because I am lazy or gluttonous. I just can't look at my condition as a chronic disease even though I am being told that it is. Since I finally sat my 10 year old daughter down and told her what I am doing, I am now really excited and much more confident in my decision. I know I am in good hands and that this is the start of a new life. But there is that tiny little nagging negativity that is saying "are you crazy? just exercise more and eat less"...can it really be that simple?:phanvan

~Kay

I was devastated when I came to the realization that I could not lose weight any other way. I hated to put myself in the category of "those people" who had to have surgery to be healthy. It was the most difficult decision of my life and the stress of going through was nearly as bad as losing my mother 6 years ago. There were two family members who were absolutely delighted and have been my personal coaches throughout this entire event. They both told me they had been waiting for me to bring up the subject because they really wanted to see me get it done but did not want to hurt my feelings by mentioning it. One even told me,"get it done and do it as soon as possible," knowing I am the type to get a good idea then second guess it or put it off. Denial is a powerful coping mechanism but not always healthy. Had it not been for my Dad who insisted on going to support me to every meeting, appt., etc. I would have balked at the last minute and backed out (fear of failure?) One of my first thoughts the day after surgery was, "Take this thing outta me!" I still was not ready.

Now, I am 2 months out. I would not have believed what a change in my life this has created. I think everyday about how blessed I am! Not only have I lost weight that I never thought I would lose, I have hope! Every day is a new beginning, there are so many things to do, I find myself smiling, giggling and those around me see it too. I would do this all over again.

My doctor told me only 2% of people who diet lose and keep the weight off long term. That's all I need to hear to validate what I have done.