Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm new, looking for advice on the consultation

I am super, super new. I just sceduled a consultation on getting the sleeve done. I'm curious on what I should expect. I'm nervous, and I'm not even sure why I'm nervous since it's just a consulataion.

I read several of the other boards and it feels like my story is over half of everyone elses story which gives me more confidence that I'm doing the right thing.

Since I'm new I'll share a little about myself as well. Stats 30 year old female. Wife and mother of 2 kids (and 1 angel baby)

I've always been heavy. Born heavy, and have progressively gotten heavier. I used to be so active and sporty, but even with playing volley ball and softball, and a variety of sports in high school, I continued to gain weight. Suffered a severe knee injury in 2002. Which continues to plague me to this day 10 years later.

Now the arches of my feet are flattening due to my weight, and I just discovered I may have a sleep apnea. (Went on a youth group trip, and the other leader freaked out when I stopped breathing in the middle of the night) I have borderline dangerous cholestrol, borderline diabetes and just continue to fail to lose weight.

Of course I've tried different diets and excersize.

I joined this group because at the mere mention of thinking about having the surgery I'm gotten so much negativity. I feel they think that all I do is sit around watching tv all day and eat twinkies. So if I just stop doing that I'll lose weight.

My husband has been wonderful, but no one else. I won't be telling anyone about the consultation or anything else. But I'd like to talk about it, so here I am.

Hey, Celtika, and welcome to VST! Don't be nervous about your consultation, there will be plenty of opportunities for nail-biting moments later, so you can just save it for that. ;) Right off the bat we know those people making assumptions are wrong because they don't even make Twinkies anymore since Hostess went out of business. :P Seriously, though, being stereotyped is one of the worst of the evils of dealing with being overweight in this world. I found I got the same kind of reaction when I discussed surgery with people as something I was thinking about. When you present it as a possiblity, I guess people think that means you've asked for their input on it. Once I decided I was doing the surgery, the surgery was scheduled, and it was about a week away, I told a very small group of people. I was firm and presented it confidently, and not one person said anything negative about it. They were all very supportive. I think it's a combination of being wise about with whom you share this decision, and sharing it confidently once the decision is made. Few people would poo poo the idea or criticize you for taking insulin for diabetes, or wearing foot supports for fallen arches, or wearing a CPAP machine for sleep apnea, and you most likely wouldn't consult them on the decision to do so. This is the same deal. You're doing this for your health and to aleve these problems/almost problems before they get out of hand.

I'm glad you're here! I'm one week out from surgery and this forum has been my biggest tool along the way. :)

Thanks a lot. You are very encouraging. I'll probably tell people after/if I get the surgery. You sound completely right when you say it sounds like I'm asking for there opion and I was but the reactions have been a lot stronger and more negative than I would have thought. "That's just cheating," "They're just too lazy to do it the 'right' way", "They're fat because they eat too much," etc. I feel like I'm getting stabbed when I hear that, because they're talking about me, though they don't even realize it.

You're also right, they have no problem with us treated the affects of the problem, but doing something directly about the problem itself is wrong.

Thank you for your very kind post.

Hey, Celtika, and welcome to VST! Don't be nervous about your consultation, there will be plenty of opportunities for nail-biting moments later, so you can just save it for that. ;) Right off the bat we know those people making assumptions are wrong because they don't even make Twinkies anymore since Hostess went out of business. :P Seriously, though, being stereotyped is one of the worst of the evils of dealing with being overweight in this world. I found I got the same kind of reaction when I discussed surgery with people as something I was thinking about. When you present it as a possiblity, I guess people think that means you've asked for their input on it. Once I decided I was doing the surgery, the surgery was scheduled, and it was about a week away, I told a very small group of people. I was firm and presented it confidently, and not one person said anything negative about it. They were all very supportive. I think it's a combination of being wise about with whom you share this decision, and sharing it confidently once the decision is made. Few people would poo poo the idea or criticize you for taking insulin for diabetes, or wearing foot supports for fallen arches, or wearing a CPAP machine for sleep apnea, and you most likely wouldn't consult them on the decision to do so. This is the same deal. You're doing this for your health and to aleve these problems/almost problems before they get out of hand.

I'm glad you're here! I'm one week out from surgery and this forum has been my biggest tool along the way. :)

You bet! I wish I could tell you how to convince the people who think it's cheating or lazy that it's not, but I really haven't found a way. I just choose not to talk to those people about it. They can say that the whole time they're watching you shrink, if they want. All that matters is that you're taking care of yourself. If they become genuinely interested in how it's working, then you could talk openly about it. I'm very protective of this process. I consider myself in a vulnerable state and want to do everything I can to keep myself positive, encouraged, and on track, and for me, that means not opening myself up to the criticism of the misinformed right now.

I noticed I completely missed your main question, which was what to expect from your initial consultation. I think it's probably different for everyone, but it will most likely include getting your vitals before the appointment, discussing the requirements of your insurance for surgery, the requirements of your individual surgeon, and laying out the path to surgery if you're approved (i.e. tests, pre-op diet, etc.).

Have you already talked to your insurance company to find out the requirements for approval of the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy? If not, it doesn't hurt to go ahead and call and find out so that you know that going in. Common requirements are a bmi of 35 or higher, certain comorbidities such as hypertension, diabetes, or arthristis, etc., and sometimes a physician-monitored diet for a specific amount of time. After your consultation, you will probably be expected to get a psych evaluation, an Upper GI, and/or some other testing. I had to get the psych eval and a clearance letter from my PCP before I could even get a consultation with my surgeon. It was fairly easy from there. Pretty much all that was left was to schedule the surgery date. You will find that most bariatric surgeons are scheduled weeks, or sometimes months out, so don't expect your surgery date to be immediate if you've met all requirements.

Good luck with what ever you decide on. Its a long trip sometimes to go from investigating to getting a date but you can do it if you want to. I'm sorry for the negativity you are getting from your peers. I have had nothing but positive responses from my people which has been great. I can only imagine how hard it would be to do without a support system in place. Take time with them and explain that this isn't the easy way out and that you will have to do all of those things they are suggesting and then some. Its a tool that leads to a life style change, a kind of aid to help you while you learn or relearn about how to take care of your body.

Next remember that this is about you and your health and you kids having a healthy Mom around.. Its not, at least I assume, only about looks. Sure that is a bonus and all that but for me its about not dying of some health related issue before I'm forty. I would trade the health issues away even if it meant still looking like I do. Like I said, that is just a bonus side affect. I think sometimes people think we are only doing this to be skinny when that is not the case or not the only case.

If you decide this is what you want to do, be strong and fight for it every day.

Hi and welcome, Celtika82! When I first decided to start this process, I had to attend a seminar that went over the different surgery options, which was required by my program. From there, I turned in some paperwork with my insurance info, hight, weight, and BMI. Someone then called me from the program and set up my initial consulation. When I went to my counulation, the insurance coordinator went over what my insurance would cover and what the requirements were to have surgery. (I already knew this though because I called my inusrance company to verify that they would cover this procedure.) The requirements were BMI over 40 and six months dietitian monitoring, OR the ability to be able to provide a 5 year history of motivated attempts to lose weight. You could also qualify if you had a BMI of 35-39 with health problems like sleep apena, high blood pressure...etc. From there, I decided to join the program. I scheduled all of my dietician visits (all 6 of them), my psych eval, and got a number to schedule an upper GI and abdominal ultrasound later on in my process because it was too early to have those tests ran. I also go scheduled for blood work and an EKG. Most of the time, you have to have a sleep study preformed as well, but I had just had one a few months prior, so I didn't have to. So, thus far, I've completed almost everything. I have my 5th deititian appointment next week, then my EKG. After that, I have my last dietitian appointment next month and I will be done. So, that's how the process has worked for me thus far.

As far as gaining support from others. I actually started a thread the other day about how to handle critics. There is a LOT of goof advice on there from different people. The only reason I shared my decision with people is because I could use their support during this new chapter of my life. There have been people that have be skeptical of my decision and think that I'm taking the "easy way out." Truth of the matter is that there is NOTHING easy about this surgery. And if you think this is the right choice for you, you honestly don't need to justify your choice to anyone. What I've learned to say is "thank you for your opinion, but this is my choice. If you're not going to support me, then I just won't talk to you about it anymore." That tends to work.

Good luck in your journey and know that we are all here to support you!!! :)

Hi there and welcome! You did the right thing by joining this forum. I couldn't have done it without my new friends I have made who truly understand the emotional and physical ups and downs related to this journey. The seminar and consultation is mostly all informative and you learn so much. Have a list of questions ready and make sure to ask how many he has done. I love love love my surgeon and the staff. They are amazing. My whole pre op process including tests diet etc lasted about 3 months. I was sleeved on 2/4/13 and am THRILLED to pieces. I have already lost 27 lbs in less then three weeks. It will take care of so many of my medial problems and my primary doctor just took me off Lipitor today!! After being on it for 15 years that is a huge milestone for me. You will do great!! Your kids need mommy to be healthy and happy. We are all here for you and I think you will be happy. Just remember it is a lifelong commitment but we are so lucky to have this opportunity for a new life. Your hubby sounds like a keeper. I feel the ones who think this is not a good idea are people who are not educated enough in this procedure to begin with nor do they live in our bodies. stick with the positive people who will keep you motivated. Remember to study up on everything there is about the sleeve, the good, the bad, and the ugly!! Ask lots and lots of questions. Trust me the good far far outweighs the bad! It is the best thing I ever did for myself AND my family. Good luck to you.

Welcome! I'm I newbie too, scheduled for 02/28. This is a great site to follow with a lot of good advice. I found that my insurance (BCBS) will not cover the surgery because my company's policy doesn't have a bariatric policy of any type (small company). I'm financing the surgery.

Before my consultation, I wrote down all of my questions to ask my Dr.

Good luck!!

Thank you everyone. I attended a free seminar in my area about the different weight loss surgeries, a couple of months ago, but turned out my insurance at the time didn't cover it at all. My husbands job switched to a new insurance carrier this past January and they do cover any of the surgeries with the usual critieria of a BMI of 40 and higher, or a BMI between 35-39 with a condition like diabetes or sleep apnea.

During the seminar they said they would help with everything, like sceduling a sleep study to see if I have sleep apnea or not. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I'm pretty sure I have it after scaring the other leader.

Got a packet of paper to fill out and mail back to them. Trying to remember alll the unsuccessful diets I've tried in the past is hard.