Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI of 38 would you do the surgery or have you done the sleeve?

Would love to hear your story. I have a BMI of 38, depression/anxiety but no other comorbiditities such as diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure, hich chlor, and have been approved from insurance to do the sleeve. My family and friends all thinks its a drastic measure since I'm fortunately health for my size and I should "try" again on my own and Im not that big and why put yourself at risk. Somedays I think I could loose 45 of the 70+ pounds I need to loose (by extreme low carb) as I've lost it several times over but have never been able to go the whole way. My concern is if I cant get a handle on my weight then I will end up with more comorbidities and may not live a long life. Does that outweigh the risks of surgery? I guess Im getting nervous of the "what if something goes wrong in surgery or complications after that don't go away. Unfortuanately I think these are the unknowns and until I go through the surgery I will not know. I have a 3 and 6 year old kids and am the only working parent that scares me. I'm sure you all were scared at some point.

I hate that I care so much about others opinions of my choices. For instance I worry about what my coworkers will think of me having the surgery and the time off I need to take to heal. I plan to be open about what surgery I do with them as it will be pretty evident and I dont like to lie. They are extreme athletes and do an ironman every year. I feel they will look down on me and it may impact my job. These are my peers, I think my boss will be a little more understanding.

I know I should not care so much about other opinions....my weakness. Am I over thinking this, should I jump at this opportunity and be grateful and make a commitment to do my part as best I can? Should I try it on my own agian and see if I can loose the wieght and keep it off?

Another question I have is how long did you take off work? My Dr.office suggested 1 month or more. Thanks for listening and any advice offered. Sorry for such a long random post.

i'll elaborate tomorrow more, but for today, I had it done when I had a six year old (who has since turned seven). I had horrific complications and was unable to care for him for two months. If I didn't own my own company I wouldn't have been able to return to work for three too four months. I don't recommend this surgery to many, and definitely would say that for you, it's not the time. I wish I'd have done anything else. I hurt my family doing this and no justification covers more than that this was a vanity surgery I didn't need to have when I had a small child to care for.

I like your other views, telling people etc, but I'd wait hun. It's actually not worth it, not at all IMO

Do you think the depression and anxiety are related to your obesity? Do you think you'd be able to lose that weight and keep it off?

There are risks with this surgery, like any surgery. As you probably know it's generally done laparoscopically and recovery time is generally very quick. Most people return to work within a few days.

I don't think anyone here can tell you weather you should or shouldn't have surgery. No one here can have an understanding of your circumstances from a couple of paragraphs in a post.

For me it was about weighing up the risks. There are risks with surgery, sure. But there are also risks with remaining obese. For me, like the vast majority of people on VST (some of whom had a lower BMI than yours) having this surgery is amongst the best things I have ever done for myself.

All the best,

Deano

As you do your due diligence in researching whether a WLS procedure is right for you, please be sure to research the complications and talk to your surgeon about them, too. I am not going to quote an absolute percentage, but I do know that for the sleeve, it is under 3%. Iggy fell into that 3% and I read through a lot of her posts during her recovery. It was truly heartbreaking and I am so thankful she is recovering and remaining a member of VST, if for no other reason than to remind folks researching the sleeve to do their homework and know the complications. My surgeon had less than a 1% complication rate, so be sure to ask them, too. And not just leaks right after the surgery, you need to ask them about complications with their patients 2,4,6 ... months out as that is when some of the issues present themselves.

I am not a risk taker by any means, but i was willing to take on the <3% complication rate and believe I would be able to get through whatever it would be. I had <3% chance of a complication, but I had a 100% chance of complications from being morbidly obese. I needed a change with my relationship with food and the sleeve has helped me do this.

I love my sleeve and wouldn't change a thing.

I just attended a physicians class on obesity. The chances of you losing the weight on your own and keeping it off are very low. But to decrease your risk of comorbitities, all you have to do is lose 5 to 10% of your weight. That alone extends your life by 3 years. Each time you lose that, even if you regain it, it is another 3 years. So you have to decide what your goals are for losing weight. If it is for health only, I would think twice with 2small children. The risk of death is only 3% at the highest but if it happens to you it's 100% for your babies.

I was just over 37 BMI and am 5'6. I had my sleeve 1/10/2013. I too could loose 45 to fifty pounds on the lo carb diet and DID....several times only to put it back on and more. I decided to have this proceedure....I wanted long term weight loss. I have hi b/p and hi cholesterol so my insurance did pay for this. The sleeve is only a tool in my wt loss journey....I have to do the rest! Good luck

I was just over 37 BMI and am 5'6. I had my sleeve 1/10/2013. I too could loose 45 to fifty pounds on the lo carb diet and DID....several times only to put it back on and more. I decided to have this proceedure....I wanted long term weight loss. I have hi b/p and hi cholesterol so my insurance did pay for this. The sleeve is only a tool in my wt loss journey....I have to do the rest! Good luck

I had a 32 BMI no comordities, no insurance coverage. I tried many times, lost, but only to regain. I wanted a more perm solution. Yes, bad things can happen but 90% have no major complications. I would do it.

Mary

Would love to hear your story. I have a BMI of 38, depression/anxiety but no other comorbiditities such as diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure, hich chlor, and have been approved from insurance to do the sleeve. My family and friends all thinks its a drastic measure since I'm fortunately health for my size and I should "try" again on my own and Im not that big and why put yourself at risk. Somedays I think I could loose 45 of the 70+ pounds I need to loose (by extreme low carb) as I've lost it several times over but have never been able to go the whole way. My concern is if I cant get a handle on my weight then I will end up with more comorbidities and may not live a long life. Does that outweigh the risks of surgery? I guess Im getting nervous of the "what if something goes wrong in surgery or complications after that don't go away. Unfortuanately I think these are the unknowns and until I go through the surgery I will not know. I have a 3 and 6 year old kids and am the only working parent that scares me. I'm sure you all were scared at some point.

I hate that I care so much about others opinions of my choices. For instance I worry about what my coworkers will think of me having the surgery and the time off I need to take to heal. I plan to be open about what surgery I do with them as it will be pretty evident and I dont like to lie. They are extreme athletes and do an ironman every year. I feel they will look down on me and it may impact my job. These are my peers, I think my boss will be a little more understanding.

I know I should not care so much about other opinions....my weakness. Am I over thinking this, should I jump at this opportunity and be grateful and make a commitment to do my part as best I can? Should I try it on my own agian and see if I can loose the wieght and keep it off?

Another question I have is how long did you take off work? My Dr.office suggested 1 month or more. Thanks for listening and any advice offered. Sorry for such a long random post.

I will try and give you the 'Reader's Digest' version of MY story. I was 50 when I decided to have WLS. When I went to the seminar a few months later, I was the smallest or certainly close to the smallest prospective patient in the room. My BMI was 36 or just under that. I suffered from NO health issues. I may have suffered from shallowness......I wanted to enjoy shopping and look good in clothes. Don't laugh, it's a real condition, I'm sure of it!! ;) On a more serious note. I had been on and off a diet since I was 18. I'd done WW three times, I'd seen a nutritionist, who was all the rage in our little town, I'd done Fen/Phen, (which ended my diet pill popping forever!!!) I tried Atkins and all those in between. I could lose weight, I'd lost 50 lbs two or three times and 20 or 30 lbs more times than I can count. By the time I seriously considered surgery, I had 'accepted' 228 and STRUGGLED to maintain that. That should have been a red flag. I hated shopping, and only did so when I NEEDED something. It was never fun and I always felt disgusted or bad after a shopping trip for a new dress for church or for a pair of jeans. Nobody thought I was 'big enough' to do something so drastic. I knew the truth, it would get worse as I got older. I had seen my paternal grandmother and all but one of my six aunts get bigger and bigger as they aged. I knew that could be me and then I WOULD have health issues at some point.

I lost 23 lbs prior to surgery, it took me a little over two months......I can lose weight, it's keeping it off that I can't do!! I saw my PCP to make sure I was healthy enough to under go this procedure. She told me that I was healthy, she'd never considered me a likely candidate, but that to lose 50 or 60 lbs at age 50 was almost impossible....and to keep it off, I'd need to eat grass and weeds for the rest of my life. What a relief, this naturally LITTLE woman acknowledged that it's hard, if not impossible to do what I needed/wanted to accomplish! Game on!!!

I never looked back. I've never regretted what I did June 11, 2010. I've loved every minute of it. I condsidered it an adventure, ups and downs, but I kept my eye on the prize. I weighed 205 the day before surgery and post op, I got down to 170 in no time. (I was very 'rigid' and did exactly what I was instructed to do!!!) At that weight I was in a size 12. I'd have been thrilled with those results, but I KNEW that I'd underestimated what this new little tummy could do.

Ok.....to wind this up, I am wearing 4's and 6's.....never in my wildest dreams would I have dared to imagine this!!! I will still hold up a pair of jeans just out of the dryer and think NO WAY!!!!! I love shopping, I'll go spend an afternoon at the mall just to window shop. I feel good and feel 'normal'. I still obsess about food and still 'make choices', but when you have little or no hunger, making choices is easier. I weigh and measure my food, I weigh myself every morning. This is my life and I've got a dog in this fight.....I want to stay on top of it. I don't weigh once a month and risk seeing a gain of eight or ten lbs. We ALL KNOW how quickly that can happen!!! This is like a game to me, and I feel like I won and don't want to go back. I feel like I eat like a naturally thin person. I feel good, now days IF I tell someone about surgery, I call it preventive maintenence. 'Nuff said.

Good luck.......listen to your heart, and to what your gut tells you. (Reader's Digest version??!!! Not really I guess!!! I'm sorry!!!!)

My BMI was 37 when I had my sleeve done on Jan 9. I had gained and lost 25-30 four times in the previous 10 years, each time gaining a few more. I beleave this is the only way for me to keep it off forever.

Oh......most people I've heard talk at support group meetings, went back to work in about two weeks.

I went back to work in 2 weeks. I could have retuned at 1 week, because I work from home. But I felt good and strong going back after 2!

My weight prevented me from living, seriously.

I had physical ailments that were obesity related and mentally I was a mess... I had social anxiety due to my weight and being self conscious.

My only regret is not doing this sooner. I'm happy, my kids are happy, my husband is REALLY happy lol and I'm living a life I thought I'd never see

Do what you need to get the results you want... When you decide what you want, go GET it :)

No one will fight for the life you deserve except you :)

You're worth it :)

Oh, and I went back to work in 6 days, where I have to travel out of state to be at my client site.

Mary

I guess my situation is similiar to yours in that I have a pretty low BMI and am quite muscular which effectively makes it in perspective even lower. Although I differ with comorbidities to include Diabetes, High Blood pressure, high cholesterol and liver disease from my diabetes. My primary Dr. is against me doing this operation he says he is a lifestyle guy and believes I only need to loose 20lbs-30lbs my gastro Dr. is really encouraging me as a maintained weight loss could see me disease free liver wise over time. Dr. says the diabetes is just a genetic thing as I don't really have any extreme weight issues and am very active everyone in my family irregardless of their weight has got type two diabetes unfortunately. Fortunately I have been able to manage mine with diet and exercsize.The reason why I am considering this operation is mainly to help improve my health conditions and help me maintain a healthy weight as I get older. It appears that the only weight I gain is the stuff around my organ which is the most important to keep low. The Dr. says I have 20lbs-30lbs to loose but I must loose it and keep it off my life literally depends on it.

I'm 5'9", and I had a BMI of 35, I had 2 comorbidities, osteoarthritis in both knees and high cholesterol. I had this surgery in Oct and was going to go back to work after a week, but then Hurricane Sandy hit and I got another week off but I could have gone back to work in that first week and I am in Law Enforcement!!. This surgery was THE best thing I have ever done in my entire life. I didn't live my life I just existed, all my friends would go and do things that I loved to do but because of my weight I NEVER went. My marriage was going in the shitter because of my weight, I sat on the couch and did NOTHING. My husband is the happiest I have ever seen him, and trust me he did NOT want me to get this done, little did he know he had no choice. That is my honest Opinion, you need to make up your mind what is best for you! Good luck with your decision, you have alot of help here on this board.