Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going alone for my surgery. I am so scared..I need any and all advice to make it easier

You'll be fine. I went completely alone too. I didn't have anyone with me when I went for the surgery and I also didn't have anyone with me for the recovery either and all went well. You might want to have a back-up plan just in case there are complications, but more than likely you won't need the back-up plan. I know it's super scary, but you'll be so happy you did it once everything is done and you're all healed up again. Deep breaths, one step at a time. You can do this!! :)

I don't have any sage advice for you. I'd be scared too! Surgery=Scary, Surgery so far away from home=Really scary!

Hopefully if you have internet access you can at least come on here and be reassured by the hundreds of people who have had very positive experiences with WLS in Mexico. Perhaps you'll connect with other patients while there.

Be strong - you'll be so happy and proud of yourself on the other side of surgery!

There's no one you can ask to accompany you? Having someone physically and emotionally help me was very helpful as waking up can be painful and scary. I hope you find someone to go with you.

when are you scheduled? i'll keep you in my prayers!!

When are you going?

You'll be fine. I went completely alone too. I didn't have anyone with me when I went for the surgery and I also didn't have anyone with me for the recovery either and all went well. You might want to have a back-up plan just in case there are complications' date=' but more than likely you won't need the back-up plan. I know it's super scary, but you'll be so happy you did it once everything is done and you're all healed up again. Deep breaths, one step at a time. You can do this!! :)[/quote']

Ditto. I found the staff super helpful and other patients and their companions super friendly and supportive too. It becomes a mini family. You won't feel alone. Plus, you can just focus on you vs chatting with someone when you don't feel like it.

Mary

I was so happy that I went alone. I was a little nervous but I know myself and I knew I would have preferred to be alone. Everything went smoothly and never at 1 point did I feel I would have needed my wife or a friend there for help or support.

If there is any advise I would give is to make sure you upgrade to first class or an exit aisle seat for the flight home. It was so nice to be able to get up and stretch, move around and get in a more comfortable resting position.

Good luck

Well I'm currently on my own. Had surgery on Monday. No issues and it's fine. Just boredom issues but that's all. I think it may actually be better. Companions want to ho shopping, etc and while you may feel great after a day or two,nits very easy to overdo. Yesterday one of my docs mentioned that just a day or two after surgery was too soon to be running around shopping and playing tourist. Yes, people here do it and may be fine, but you really need to rest. This is major surgery.

Also,nthere is no way I'd want to be near someone eating or drinking. The thought of food is gross right now.

I'll be leaving next Wed, surgery on Thurs (Feb 21st). I'm going alone. Honestly, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives. For five days I will focus on how I am feeling, and what I need...rather than have to worry about how my companion is doing. I also trust that Dr. Garcia and his staff will take excellent care of me.

I sometimes worry that, if I have a serious complication, I will regret going alone. But then I realized that if there is a serious problem, what could my companion do other than worry? He/she would have to follow the doctor's recommendation on what needs to be done. So I'm going forward... thinking of this as a great adventure...and looking forward to telling everyone how I went ALONE to Tijuana, Mexico, for surgery. Can't you just imagine the look on their faces?...because 98% of them will think I am a really brave but undoubtedly crazy person!!

Thanks guys...im going march 21st' date=' surgery the 22nd with dr Cabrera and valenzuela[/quote']

I am 2 weeks post op and they were my dr's. honestly I could have gone by myself, nurses are constantly coming in and seeing if you need anything. I had a pretty common recovery, it was nice to have someone with me but I wouldn't say needed.

Good luck to you

Jana, sleeved 1/31/13

I went alone, too. You will be just fine! Worst case scenario is you will be bored, so take an iPad. You'll find the fellow sleevers will be great companions!

I'll be leaving next Wed' date=' surgery on Thurs (Feb 21st). I'm going alone. Honestly, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives. For five days I will focus on how I am feeling, and what I need...rather than have to worry about how my companion is doing. I also trust that Dr. Garcia and his staff will take excellent care of me.

I sometimes worry that, if I have a serious complication, I will regret going alone. But then I realized that if there is a serious problem, what could my companion do other than worry? He/she would have to follow the doctor's recommendation on what needs to be done. So I'm going forward... thinking of this as a great adventure...and looking forward to telling everyone how I went ALONE to Tijuana, Mexico, for surgery. Can't you just imagine the look on their faces?...because 98% of them will think I am a really brave but undoubtedly crazy person!! [/quote']

Best of luck!!!!

I'm not going alone but the only reason is because I had my gall bladder out in January and I nearly lose my mind out of boredom in those 4 days that I was COMPLETELY by myself. The nurses even only came by two or 3 times per 24 hr period and that was just to empty my drain bulb.

Really though, other than boredom which I don't think you will encounter with all the other sleevers there, I'd say its fine to go alone!

Best of luck!