Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new bandster with a question

I am getting my band December 8th. I am very excited. I am 39 years old with a 6 month old baby and a 2 year old. I am wondering about the recovery time....and holding my baby, etc. What should I expect as far as recovery time....any info will be greatly appreciated! :)

You must be busy with 2 little babies!! I was just banded on Oct 26 and the first three days were pretty rough for me and I needed someone to help me since I couldn't move around very much. After that, I felt a little better every day and it took about a week to feel better, 2 weeks to fell 100%. It is really difficult to bend over and lift things for about 1-2 weeks. As for picking up your kids, I guess it kind of depends on how much your kids weigh...I would ask your doctor for sure.

Hi dawnae,

Welcome to LBT and congratulations on your decision to become healthier.

Recovery time does vary from person to person. I know some ladies on here who have got up and gone shopping the very next day. I've been banded twice (it slipped once after 18 months so I had a revision). After the first surgery, I was pretty useless for about 5 days. I tried to go shopping about 4 days out, but it was with my mom who's a marathon shopper and about an hour into it I felt dizzy and nauseous. This time however, I've felt pretty great. I was banded on Friday and could have gone back to work on Monday, had my husband let me lol.

My surgeon recommended that I not lift anything heavier than a yellowpages phone book. We live in a large city, so our yellowpages are quite heavy ... but probably not as heavy as a 6 month old. You'll probably want to have an extra pair of hands around for a week or two and definitely talk to your surgeon about it.

Good luck with your surgery. All will go well I'm sure and you'll be able to keep up with those two rugrats in no time at all :)

Thanks! This at least gives me an idea of what I am in for! JDru....I live in South Jordan!! We are neighbors.....my doc is Rodrick McKinlay from RMAP.....thanks for info.....and yes I am way busy.....hence needing the surgery so I can soon keep up with these little ones!

Good luck! As the others are saying recovery varies, but generally get some help for the first week (at least). I couldn't lift for the first 6 weeks, while I was healing (inside and out). Probably would be a good idea to limit that, however it won't be easy for you with (2) little ones. Just know that you will be lifting them soon enough, and they won't suffer during your recovery time (it will be a blip on their radar).

Good luck. Shawn

DAWNAE

CONGRATS ON YOUR DECISION AND WELCOME. LIKE EVERYONE SAID RECOVERY TIME VARIES. I GUESS I WAS A LUCKY ONE BECAUSE I CAME HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL AND MOWED MY LAWN. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY MORE PAIN THAN WHAT ADVIL COULD HANDLE. I DIDN'T MISS A BEAT. DID HAVE SOME SHOULDER PAIN FROM GAS BUT WALKING HELPED OUT ALOT. STAYING BUSY KEEPS YOU FROM GETTING STIFF AND THINKING ABOUT IT. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE TO SEE YOUR PROGRESS IN THE FUTURE.

BANDED 9/05/06

STARTING WT 251

CURRENT WT 219

not long now dawnae! keep us posted.

:)

Hi everyone. This is my first time on the board. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I wanted to comment on the time of recovery after the surgery. I had no pain, but did take off work a few days only because I wasn't sure how long it took to recovery. I could of went back to work the next day that's how easy it went. I had mine done in TJ by Dr. Ortiz, he was just wonderful! I have referred two of my friend to him and they will be having it done by Dr Ortiz in January.

I am getting my band December 8th. I am very excited. I am 39 years old with a 6 month old baby and a 2 year old. I am wondering about the recovery time....and holding my baby, etc. What should I expect as far as recovery time....any info will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome Colleen h

I had surgery about 5 weeks after the birth of my second child...recovery probably took about 4 days for me...I was able to hold my baby and breast feed but couldn't pick her up for 2 days after...also was very carefull of fidgitee little hands that waved around and sometimes came in direct contact with my wounds...but overall recovery was manageable even with two small children under 2.

Wow....Flabuless...I am impressed 5 wks after birth!!! My little one is six and a half months and still breast feeding....I can't get her to take a bottle. How long did your milk last after surgery? Thanks a million for replying! Welcome Colleen!

I am getting my band December 8th. I am very excited. I am 39 years old with a 6 month old baby and a 2 year old. I am wondering about the recovery time....and holding my baby, etc. What should I expect as far as recovery time....any info will be greatly appreciated! :)

The next day after surgery or after I left the hospital I walked almost a mile but for holding or reaching anything that was a task. I took me just about a week before I was able to do anything more drastic than walking. :omg:

I wish well, let us know how it went with your surgery! GOOD LUCK!

Well everything went well. I am tired and sore....and oh the gas pains are fun!!!! I am getting the reaching and picking up things. I do have help until next friday.....thank good ness for that! My baby finally took the bottle so I am at least not worrying she will starve to death because I am not ready to give up the narcotics....still hurting too much. My doc also had to fix a hiatal hernia...maybe that makes it worse...not sure.

Thats fantastic dawne...In answer to your question...I am still breast feeding!!! so it has lasted the length. hehehe no post surgery complications on my breast feeding thats for sure. which is good because breast feeding is great for weightloss also!

:xena_banana: Becky