Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental Changes/depression/mood swings post surgery

How's your sleeping CocoM?

Got home saturday afternoon and I haven't gotten more than a 2 hours of sleep together at any given time. I really expected to be sleeping a lot to heal but holy crap. I'd wake up at 7am and go to bed at 1 and then wake up at 3 and then sleep at 4 and wake up at 6am and then be up for the rest of the day.

I went to dr for a check up today. he's happy w/ the healing. I was so upset on monday that i called and asked for the psych because this isn't like me and i was able to get to see both of them today. My dr thinks that with everything else going on, the lack of sleep is just putting me over the edge. He said something about how you can put a normal healthy person in a room for a week without sleep and they can become psychotic....very reassuring thanks....So I'm looking forward to that pill he gave me tonight.

Anyone else having trouble sleeping?

Got home saturday afternoon and I haven't gotten more than a 2 hours of sleep together at any given time. I really expected to be sleeping a lot to heal but holy crap. I'd wake up at 7am and go to bed at 1 and then wake up at 3 and then sleep at 4 and wake up at 6am and then be up for the rest of the day.

I went to dr for a check up today. he's happy w/ the healing. I was so upset on monday that i called and asked for the psych because this isn't like me and i was able to get to see both of them today. My dr thinks that with everything else going on, the lack of sleep is just putting me over the edge. He said something about how you can put a normal healthy person in a room for a week without sleep and they can become psychotic....very reassuring thanks....So I'm looking forward to that pill he gave me tonight.

Anyone else having trouble sleeping?

I didn't know that lack of sleep is a side effect, I don't sleep well as it is. I can't imagine getting any worse.

I'm sorry I overlooked this. I haven't had the surgery yet, but I've always been fitful sleeper. I need 8-9 hours of sleep or I'm very crabby!

I am a mood swing person, i am almost 3 weeks post op and today is vday and i want a f-ing chocolate bar. That is my issue food and I think also I am struggling because I have a small child who constantly wants my little bit of food even though she just ate its severly distracting and aggrivating I just cry give up and hand it over. I hardly ever can have 20 min of quiet time to eat my meals and I think its really affecting my motivation. So I feel down a lot I have scheduled an appt with my counselor cause this is just way outta my legue I feel like im super crazy pms all damn day cry angry mad pissed happy crazy happy then crying wtf! I hope i can get over this issue.

I am a mood swing person, i am almost 3 weeks post op and today is vday and i want a f-ing chocolate bar. That is my issue food and I think also I am struggling because I have a small child who constantly wants my little bit of food even though she just ate its severly distracting and aggrivating I just cry give up and hand it over. I hardly ever can have 20 min of quiet time to eat my meals and I think its really affecting my motivation. So I feel down a lot I have scheduled an appt with my counselor cause this is just way outta my legue I feel like im super crazy pms all damn day cry angry mad pissed happy crazy happy then crying wtf! I hope i can get over this issue.

Hey Apelt001, I hope the counselor helps, I wish you well.

I was very depressed before and now 9 weeks post op I am not depressed at all. The depression lifted for me.

My story as well. I attribute it with healthy eating and active lifestyle.

My story as well. I attribute it with healthy eating and active lifestyle.

Thanks Fiddleman, I'm glad to see a man's experience, and nice to see that the depression lifted.

I experienced major problems with depression post surgery. However like someone already stated, I think most of it was due to all the changes occurring at one time. I was medically diagnosed with depression years before surgery and have had to take medication on and off for years. Immediately prior to surgery, I had not had to take medication for a year or more, then following surgery my depression got so bad that I had to start taking medication again. Again, I think it was a "perfect storm" of events happening all at once. My DIL who also had this surgery put it in perspective for me. She said it's like an addict trying to kick drugs. I was going through withdrawal. I also struggle with more sadness during the holidays anyway, this year was no different. I live alone so I didn't have much support at home either. For those of you with husband's and family, count your blessings. I also had a major fight with my son which was weighing heavy on my mind. So when I said a perfect storm of feelings and emotions, believe me it was quite overwhelming. Before surgery I probably used food to comfort me more than I care to admit; but following surgery I couldn't even do that anymore. There have definitely been times that I've wondered wth was I thinking to do this to myself - because this whole experience has been a shock to my system. Now I'm on the meds and the depression isn't as bad as it was 2 weeks after surgery, but again my improved mood is induced by the medication; which I hope I will be able to discontinue at some point. For now, I need it and I'm better for admitting it and doing something about it. I'm almost 7 weeks post surgery and I still have good days and not so good days. From what I've read I'm probably more on the extreme end of this experience, but that's just how its been for me. I doubt you will experience the same. I just had a lot going on with me.

A word about sleeping habits, mine have changed as well. I use to have problems before surgery but now it's a little worse post surgery. All I can do is try and maintain the attitude that it will get better and eventually my body will adjust. Most days, I see progress even though sometimes its a little slow.

Popsicle, thanks for sharing. Much success with your journey.

Coco,

I've been swinging up and down, back and forth...any way the wind blows, it seems. I'm mostly on an even keel but when I swing, I really swing. Like, hyperventilating crying.

I've given it a lot of thought and am convinced that my biggest problem is I'm still trying to figure out show to deal with stress and high emotion situations. Old Me would have dived right into my comfort foods and been done with it. Now when I'm upset or feeling down, I have nothing to turn to. Ridiculous, of course, as I have the most incredibly supportive husband and a lovely life, but that's the food addict in me talking. I'm not as well equipped as I'd hoped to be to deal with life without my food crutches.

Some folks don't struggle, as you've seen. Others are completely depressed. Some are in the middle like me - finding there way through the ups and downs. The bottom line is everyone is different and will react differently post surgery.

The best advice I can give (at the wise old age of 8 weeks post-op) is to set yourself up for a successful life without the food crutch. Find another outlet. Find several. :)

Good luck!

I pray my moods are steady and calm' date=' I soooo don't want to be a mean and angry person. :ph34r: :tongue2:[/quote']

I haven't notice any mood swings or anger I did have some emotions after I cried three time since surgery once in the hospital cause I was having vomiting and it was painful then twice at home but I'm three weeks out and I've accepted the fact that I can't eat like I use to and since I lost 31 pounds all post op I'm glad just kno that things get better every day

I prepared for the surgery. My Health Ins Co gave me about 6 months to work it out. I was really glad that they did. It is great to know that this is not just what I need to do -- but that I was not successful in any other way... and I DO want to lose weight! Already life is so much easier!!

But I want to choke something!!! I have never really Loved my job -- but now I really Hate it! I get tired of hearing the dogs bark and want to kick them (NO, I do NOT follow through). People don't do things the way I want done and I just blow up! This really is not me.

I probably sleep better than I have in years -- with only waking up once or twice during the night, however I can't seem to go to sleep until midnight or one in the morning... and I have to be up to work at 6am. I did have the breakdown at about 1 or 2 weeks after the surgery, but this seems different. It is not just for now and I can't seem to get it to go away.

I'm sleeping a stuttering 6-7 hours and waking up tired. it's really getting on my nerves because i used to LOVE sleep. It recharged my batteries and sometimes I'd lay in bed on the weekend just to enjoy the feeling. Now it just feels like it's an opportunity for me to play the tape of what did i do to myself. I JUST WANT TO SLEEP

I w been on anti depressants for some time now, changing them, going off them, upping dosages. When I lost 60 lbs before, I was so happy and went off all of it. I pray that that's what happens here. And I've always been a really good sleeper until now, 8 days before surgery- I can't get much sleep because of nerves.

I so hope that I'm not too depressed or lacking sleep after this.

I w been on anti depressants for some time now' date=' changing them, going off them, upping dosages. When I lost 60 lbs before, I was so happy and went off all of it. I pray that that's what happens here. And I've always been a really good sleeper until now, 8 days before surgery- I can't get much sleep because of nerves.

I so hope that I'm not too depressed or lacking sleep after this.[/quote']

How do you get off them?

I have been on current Citalopram 40 mg for about 13 months. Before starting citalopram I REALLY needed it for depression and anxiety. My eating habits and fitness levels generally sucked and I was an emotional eater. I have a hypothesis that my eating patterns back then really messed with my headspace.

I managed pretty good between start of Citalopram and surgery. I cannot deny it was helping me back then.

As my eating and fitness patterns changed after surgery my mood skyrocketed. I feel great almost all the time, especially after running. I asked both my PCP and psychiatrist about getting off them, but they do not want me regressing to pre 13 months. They pretty much did not want to change anything that would jeopardize my current mental state and did not want to consider that losing weight, improving eating habits, improving fitness levels have done a better job then the Citalopram. I don't know how much the citalopram pills are still helping me because things considerable improved since my surgery 7 months ago. A lot. More then a lot!

Major reason I want to get off it is because of impact on libido, as true with all SSRIs. And it is two additional pills that I need to take daily and refill every month. It would be nice to take care of all those issues.

Any advice?