Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental Changes/depression/mood swings post surgery

This is the go to place for quick answers to my questions, can someone shed some light on this issue.

I've noticed some post-op patients have experienced depression and mood swings and this made me nervous.

Does everyone go through mood swings/mental changes after surgery? If so, why?

For those that did experience these changes, did you see a therapist post surgery?

For those who have NOT experienced mood swings/depression, why not you?

Thanks for your responses.

Hey there! I am 5 months out and can honestly say that I have not really experienced any major mood swings. I think I went into surgery well informed and when I did begin to freak out a little before or after my surgery, I wasn't afraid to call or email my Surgeon, Family Dr or my nutritionist. I have lots of people that I can talk to about my struggles and victories, some have had this surgery, some have not, some have had problems with their weight, some have not. I went in knowing that I will have times during my journey where the scale will stop moving and that during that time that I just need to be patient and not freak out because it will come. I also started looking at the reasons for my overeating and trying to come up with a plan to deal with it since I am an emotional eater. Now it isnt easy all the time but I feel like I was as prepared as I could possibly be and I am doing my best to take care of my sleeve and help it help me. Realizing that sweets and breads were never my friends although I loved them.

Actually I think my mood has improved with my better health, with wonderful comments from everyone and just with a whole lot less to carry around.

Hope things go well for you! Keep us informed

I was very depressed before and now 9 weeks post op I am not depressed at all. The depression lifted for me.

I haven't really experienced any change in my mental state post surgery. I had made peace with being fat, if that makes any sense, and I've made peace with losing weight. My decision to have surgery was a rational decision, though I really pursued it on a whim (my thought process was "Hm, why not consider surgery?"). Those around me say I seem to be in a better mood, and in all honesty I do feel better physically. I get a psychological boost from the positive physical changes and try to take any setbacks (stalls, complications, etc.) in stride.

I think it's because, all in all, I've developed an accepting attitude to the entire thing. Whatever happen will happen and I won't be able to control everything, so I might as well just do what I can and not sweat the rest.

I did feel little blue about three weeks out, almost like I mourned food a little. It was like a final epiphany that I was never going to be able to eat an entire pizza again lol. I quickly got over it though. I think my moods are more stable and I have so much more energy

I'm one of the mood swing people! I don't know what's going on, it's very much not who I've ever been. Really a stoic person usually and already twice today I've had 2 major crying jags. The first one was bad lasted an hour and once it stopped I looked around and thought wth? The second was less upsetting but still left me with the whole, where did that come from?

Really hoping it subsides soon

I have noticed some changes, but I can't say if they are from surgery or more so from dealing with a billion changes all at once. We've had so much family stuff happen in the last 3 months it's crazy! I seriously spent almost 17 hours crying one day last week- off and on- not all at once. But- its been a lot to take in short amount of time. My non op fiancé has had a lot of the same issues as I have (and he is one of those always calm people) so it really may just be the stress. But I know I have had a few crazy mood swings.

Hey there! I am 5 months out and can honestly say that I have not really experienced any major mood swings. I think I went into surgery well informed and when I did begin to freak out a little before or after my surgery, I wasn't afraid to call or email my Surgeon, Family Dr or my nutritionist. I have lots of people that I can talk to about my struggles and victories, some have had this surgery, some have not, some have had problems with their weight, some have not. I went in knowing that I will have times during my journey where the scale will stop moving and that during that time that I just need to be patient and not freak out because it will come. I also started looking at the reasons for my overeating and trying to come up with a plan to deal with it since I am an emotional eater. Now it isnt easy all the time but I feel like I was as prepared as I could possibly be and I am doing my best to take care of my sleeve and help it help me. Realizing that sweets and breads were never my friends although I loved them.

Actually I think my mood has improved with my better health, with wonderful comments from everyone and just with a whole lot less to carry around.

Hope things go well for you! Keep us informed

thank you Suzie, I hope my outcome is similar to yours.

I have noticed some changes, but I can't say if they are from surgery or more so from dealing with a billion changes all at once. We've had so much family stuff happen in the last 3 months it's crazy! I seriously spent almost 17 hours crying one day last week- off and on- not all at once. But- its been a lot to take in short amount of time. My non op fiancé has had a lot of the same issues as I have (and he is one of those always calm people) so it really may just be the stress. But I know I have had a few crazy mood swings.

How did you mentally prepare for the surgery?

I'm one of the mood swing people! I don't know what's going on, it's very much not who I've ever been. Really a stoic person usually and already twice today I've had 2 major crying jags. The first one was bad lasted an hour and once it stopped I looked around and thought wth? The second was less upsetting but still left me with the whole, where did that come from?

Really hoping it subsides soon

I hope it does. :)

I had surgery 1/15/13 and only had one mood swing. It was day 6 post op. I was sitting on the couch watching tv, playing on my iPad and just broke down in tears. My husband was all concerned asking me what I read or watched on tv to make me have such a reaction and all I could hiccup out was "nothing" lol! My dr told me it was completely normal. You have such a build up to the surgery, then the relief of having it done along with a little of "what the heck did I do to myself?". But a few minutes later I stopped crying, pulled myself together and have been great since! I feel awesome now. That was about the extent of my mood swings. My husband is very supportive and my cheerleader, he helps me thru all of this plus I have a good attitude about this surgery. I knew it was going to be a challenge and a life change and so far it's been the best decision ever!

How did you mentally prepare for the surgery?

I honestly considered it three years prior- I would have had surgery July 2009, however I found out I was pregnant and obviously could not continue with the process. Then in 2011 I went through the whole process including insurance approval and had to back out due to work issues (I was offered a very large promotion, but the stipulation was I had to start the week before I would have had surgery. I thought long and hard about it. Last summer- I almost lost my dad from complications of diabetes. I did lose my grandfather a week before my surgery from diabetes complications. I KNEW I didn't want my kids in 20 years to be sitting in a hospital bed with me thinking it could be their last time to see me alive all because of my stupid eating habits. I thought about what life after the sleeve would be like- and not just the rainbows, glitter and unicorns- but the what will it feel like to not have thanksgiving dinner with my family. (I had surgery 10 days before thanksgiving). What will happen at family functions? Etc, etc, etc. I know I did what is right for me AND for my family. I have lost 55lbs and I could not be happier. I love my new life- but there have been so very very many things non surgery related that have happened in the last 3 months that it would make almost anyone feel marginally insane :).

Does everyone go through mood swings/mental changes after surgery?

No, I didn't and hopefully I won't.

For those who have NOT experienced mood swings/depression, why not you?

I don't know why, just glad I haven't experienced mood thus far. Maybe it's my outlook....or maybe because I'm in such a happy peaceful place in my life.

I am 8 days post-op. I had myself a minor meltdown on day 5 because I wanted a cracker and I couldn't. Not rational. But I think we have to keep in mind that in the first couple of weeks after surgery, we are trying to heal our bodies on almost no calories. Even for those of us blessed to not feel stomach hunger, we are still depriving our bodies of sustenance for the first time in our lives. If anyone has ever watched Survivor, those folks all go a little cookoo from hunger. If you look at it like that, it would be strange if we didn't have moodiness or weepiness during this time. Luckily, I am at home and not at work, where my secretary would certainly slap me silly if she caught me weeping over a stupid, damn cracker. :)

I pray my moods are steady and calm, I soooo don't want to be a mean and angry person. :ph34r: :tongue2: