Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty consuming food/calories-suggestions? 2.5 months p/o

Hello, VSG family! I am about 2.5 months post-op and I have some issues with eating. Some days, I am able to consume about 800 calories a day. Sometimes, it is 600-or less. And getting in protein-I hover around 50 Gs a day. It is volume-I just can't seem to get things in. I have tried drinking shakes-they take me forever. My sleeve does seem to agree with fish-that and cream of wheat. It is incredibly frustrating to eat ok one day and the next, it seems nothing sits right, I feel uncomfortably full after a few bites, and my kids are starting to wonder what is wrong with me...they do not know I had the sleeve. A week ago I went out for dinner and ordered tuna-I thought it would be safe to eat. It came on a bed of greens. Well, I had a few bites, all of a sudden I felt incredibly full and uncomfortable, had to lay down immediately in the car and we left the restaurant. This isnt the first time this has happened. Another diet example is even what I ate today. I had an egg mcmuffin with no cheese...and removed part of the bun...so about 200 calories. I had a small lobster tail for lunch, at 80 calories. For dinner, I ate an ounce n a half of beef, with a few bites of salad, and the fullness kicked in. My questions are: Is this normal? How do I change this to take in more Protein without being in pain? Any advice on what I can do? When should I go to the doctor? Thanks so much!

Initially I could not eat a scrabble egg - it just sat on my stomach. I was soooooo disappointed. what I had to do was measure out 1/4 cups of whatever I needed to eat 1/2 of that then wait 2-3 hours. Sipping on Water and then Protein Drink between. How thick is your cream of wheat - thin it out may help. I am doing so much better now. A couple of occasions I pushed it and had to wait it out as you did. Most IMPORTANTLY call your doctors. They are the professionals and should check/double check to see if there is a physical problem. Insist that they help you through this and do not let them dismiss this until you feel it is resolved.

I am 4 weeks out and have the same issues. I get down so few calories it worries me. I wonder everyday if it will get better. I am told that 4 weeks is when things really turn around. Well so far no miraculous changes. I'm still hopeful :rolleyes:

Hello, VSG family! I am about 2.5 months post-op and I have some issues with eating. Some days, I am able to consume about 800 calories a day. Sometimes, it is 600-or less. And getting in protein-I hover around 50 Gs a day. It is volume-I just can't seem to get things in. I have tried drinking shakes-they take me forever. My sleeve does seem to agree with fish-that and cream of wheat. It is incredibly frustrating to eat ok one day and the next, it seems nothing sits right, I feel uncomfortably full after a few bites, and my kids are starting to wonder what is wrong with me...they do not know I had the sleeve. A week ago I went out for dinner and ordered tuna-I thought it would be safe to eat. It came on a bed of greens. Well, I had a few bites, all of a sudden I felt incredibly full and uncomfortable, had to lay down immediately in the car and we left the restaurant. This isnt the first time this has happened. Another diet example is even what I ate today. I had an egg mcmuffin with no cheese...and removed part of the bun...so about 200 calories. I had a small lobster tail for lunch, at 80 calories. For dinner, I ate an ounce n a half of beef, with a few bites of salad, and the fullness kicked in. My questions are: Is this normal? How do I change this to take in more Protein without being in pain? Any advice on what I can do? When should I go to the doctor? Thanks so much!

I never really have to lay down- but that sounds about like me on a daily basis. My doc has ok'ed 50g of protein- his only suggestion was buy some liquid egg whites from egg whites int and add them to everything. However- he said my intake is fine.

My normal day is:

breakfast-(one of these)- boiled egg, turkey sausage, regular sausage, beef Jerky

snack- beef Jerky or cheese

lunch- salmon burger (I eat 1/3 of a patty), chicken parmesean pops, lunch meat and cheese, chicken salad made with canned chicken, 1 tsp mayo, and a few grapes, tuna made the same way sans grapes, i had a salad with left over shredded chicken the other day or I will have left overs from dinner

dinner: whatever I make for the fam, the other night it was chicken marsala, tonight it's roast I made in the crockpot.

I sometimes can only get in 1.5 oz. of Protein. I generally wind up with my calories around 550-650 for the day. Which is all ok'ed by my doctor. I'm 3 months post op.

I never really have to lay down- but that sounds about like me on a daily basis. My doc has ok'ed 50g of protein- his only suggestion was buy some liquid egg whites from egg whites int and add them to everything. However- he said my intake is fine.

My normal day is:

breakfast-(one of these)- boiled egg' date=' turkey sausage, regular sausage, beef Jerky

snack- beef jerky or cheese

lunch- salmon burger (I eat 1/3 of a patty), chicken parmesean pops, lunch meat and cheese, chicken salad made with canned chicken, 1 tsp mayo, and a few grapes, tuna made the same way sans grapes, i had a salad with left over shredded chicken the other day or I will have left overs from dinner

dinner: whatever I make for the fam, the other night it was chicken marsala, tonight it's roast I made in the crockpot.

I sometimes can only get in 1.5 oz. of Protein. I generally wind up with my calories around 550-650 for the day. Which is all ok'ed by my doctor. I'm 3 months post op.[/quote']

If it helps, I too had difficulty consuming more then 600-800 calories a day until month 5 and had an OK exercise plan. Nothing really to write home about. Only at months 5-7 have I been able to get 900-1100 because I started an active exercise and strength training program for myself at month 5 and my surgery healed up more to the point where I could eat an extra ounce if I wanted to at a meal.

I think almost every NUT will advise you to always stay between 600-900 for weight loss. I now eat more because I am fairly active every day and my sleeve does allow up to 4 oz of soft Protein at a time. Soft protein for me is wild salmon, chicken meatballs or chicken patty, all from costco. Make sure it is heated to soften it. Hard protein for me is pork chops and most preparations of beef. I can eat up to 3 oz up hard protein without sliming or stuck consequences. Anything more and I am in the bathroom not enjoying myself.

I supplement with Protein shakes every day. At least two. Sometimes 3 if I am running a 10 k in 60 min. You have to if you are going to be active . If you are not that active, then 600-900 is OK and should be enough for good health. shakes do not fill me up, but they do fuel me and hold me until the next meal time in 3 hours. A good whey Protein shake is a must after a hard workout for recovery.

Does this help?

Hello' date=' VSG family! I am about 2.5 months post-op and I have some issues with eating. Some days, I am able to consume about 800 calories a day. Sometimes, it is 600-or less. And getting in protein-I hover around 50 Gs a day. It is volume-I just can't seem to get things in. I have tried drinking shakes-they take me forever. My sleeve does seem to agree with fish-that and cream of wheat. It is incredibly frustrating to eat ok one day and the next, it seems nothing sits right, I feel uncomfortably full after a few bites, and my kids are starting to wonder what is wrong with me...they do not know I had the sleeve. A week ago I went out for dinner and ordered tuna-I thought it would be safe to eat. It came on a bed of greens. Well, I had a few bites, all of a sudden I felt incredibly full and uncomfortable, had to lay down immediately in the car and we left the restaurant. This isnt the first time this has happened. Another diet example is even what I ate today. I had an egg mcmuffin with no cheese...and removed part of the bun...so about 200 calories. I had a small lobster tail for lunch, at 80 calories. For dinner, I ate an ounce n a half of beef, with a few bites of salad, and the fullness kicked in. My questions are: Is this normal? How do I change this to take in more Protein without being in pain? Any advice on what I can do? When should I go to the doctor? Thanks so much![/quote']

I'm in the same boat sleeved 11/19/12 my sleeve is a day by day. Now I know I'm not going crazy just a lil insane:-) :-) :-)

I'm only 5 weeks out but I am struggling with getting in my calories. I'm still on soft foods but one soft boiled egg (chewed very well) feels like I ate a steak! My new stomach is very picky and I get nauseous very quickly. I have tried Protein Shakes and they just don't sit well. I've heard about strictures. It's probably to soon for me but ask your doctor if that is a possuvility

dinner tonight was a little crab, a few sections of grapefruit (pithy cover removed) and thousand island dressing. lunch was ground chicken with refried Beans and cheese. I haven't done well with regular dense Protein. Softer and finer the better.

If it helps' date=' I too had difficulty consuming more then 600-800 calories a day until month 5 and had an OK exercise plan. Nothing really to write home about. Only at months 5-7 have I been able to get 900-1100 because I started an active exercise and strength training program for myself at month 5 and my surgery healed up more to the point where I could eat an extra ounce if I wanted to at a meal.

I think almost every NUT will advise you to always stay between 600-900 for weight loss. I now eat more because I am fairly active every day and my sleeve does allow up to 4 oz of soft Protein at a time. Soft Protein for me is wild salmon, chicken meatballs or chicken patty, all from costco. Make sure it is heated to soften it. Hard protein for me is pork chops and most preparations of beef. I can eat up to 3 oz up hard protein without sliming or stuck consequences. Anything more and I am in the bathroom not enjoying myself.

I supplement with protein shakes every day. At least two. Sometimes 3 if I am running a 10 k in 60 min. You have to if you are going to be active . If you are not that active, then 600-900 is OK and should be enough for good health. shakes do not fill me up, but they do fuel me and hold me until the next meal time in 3 hours. A good whey protein shake is a must after a hard workout for recovery.

Does this help?[/quote']

Definitely :). I love the chicken meatballs- I ate them pre-op! I'm at about 2 oz of protein now at a time. I still catch myself starting to eat to quickly- and I have to slow it down, but I've only had that uncomfortable feeling once. I guess I learned my lesson :). I'm still doing my 5k training- so I try to add another shake if I am doing that.

Thanks for responding!!

Wow. funny. I've been kind of sort of wondering the same thing. I was sleeved 01/30/13. Some days I can eat 600 calories and some days (like yesterday) it takes me forever to drink a Protein Shake. Yesterday I barely got in 300 calories. I do notice that I can eat more on the days I exercise. I also read on here somewhere that drinking while eating (which I know we are not supposed to do) helps digest the food in our stomach faster so we can eat more. I haven't drank with my meals, but there have been times when I didn't leave 30 minutes before and after and I definitely noticed I could eat more. It is really weird. I just started on soft foods...so that might be the reason why I ate a whole lot less yesterday. I don't know if this is normal, but if it bothers you then definitely talk to your doctor. I have an appointment on March 4th and will bring this up. Keep me posted please!

I can't really remember where I was at 2.5 months out but I'm still eating the same amount that I was during that time. I still can only eat 1 chicken wing. The thing that has changed the most is fluids go down quickly, even Protein Shakes. Protein shakes used to take forever but now I can drink a 10 oz shake and not feel stuffed but my hunger is definitely gone by the time I finish and I have zero desire to eat anything for at least 2-3 hours after. My sleeve isn't picky and nothing has given me problems. I can eat spicy and sweet food. Grapes give me cramps though after I eat about 6 lol. I'm sure once you get around the 4 month mark you will be able to eat more, just give it time :) I'm about 10 days away from being 5 months post op and can only eat about 2-3 oz of dense protein at a time.