Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concern with using a Mexican facility/surgeon should be centered around the difference in health care standards. Mexico doesn't have the same standards as we do in the US/Canada as far as country wide regulation. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that certain facilities can't have the same standards as we do! The MX practices that are successful are using the same standards as we do, and the people are getting way more for what they are paying for down there. These centers' target customers are people from outside of Mexico. These doctors have to align with the US/Canada standards to be successful! The facilities that aren't up to par, are discussed frequently on this board.

The center that I went to received an Internatioal Center of Excellence, which has to meet the same standards as a Center of Excellence in the United States. There were 2 nurses there getting procedures. Both said that OCC had better care then facilities they have worked at in the United States. And, OCC was cleaner too.

Mary

The center that I went to received an Internatioal Center of Excellence' date=' which has to meet the same standards as a Center of Excellence in the United States. There were 2 nurses there getting procedures. Both said that OCC had better care then facilities they have worked at in the United States. And, OCC was cleaner too.

Mary[/quote']

That is awesome! Like I said, the target customer for these places are not Mexican so they have to get it right! If they weren't doing something right, people wouldn't be going there!

That is awesome! Like I said' date=' the target customer for these places are not Mexican so they have to get it right! If they weren't doing something right, people wouldn't be going there![/quote']

I should also add, that with higher national standards doesn't mean that all US facilities follow them either!

I had my sleeve here in the US! It was 100% covered by my insurance. But let me start by saying' date=' Mexico is one of my favorite places to vacation! Fear of Mexico, truly boils down to be uneducated about this country about it.

Yes, God knows many of the border towns are dangerous. However, you can't get much safer that the tourist- resort areas. How many people would travel to these areas if there were tourist constantly being abducted? Not many. The government of Mexico has a much higher police presence in the resort areas. That includes every one of the towns I have heard mentioned as a place with these sleeve centers.

Concern with using a Mexican facility/surgeon should be centered around the difference in health care standards. Mexico doesn't have the same standards as we do in the US/Canada as far as country wide regulation. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that certain facilities can't have the same standards as we do! The MX practices that are successful are using the same standards as we do, and the people are getting way more for what they are paying for down there. These centers' target customers are people from outside of Mexico. These doctors have to align with the US/Canada standards to be successful! The facilities that aren't up to par, are discussed frequently on this board.

The reason people take it personal when someone posts on here negative things about going to Mexico, is because everyone is invested in this decision. None of us woke up one morning and drove to the hospital to have this procedure without a lot of research, thought and emotion. Don't slam someone else's decision because you don't understand how they made it. If Mexico isn't an option for you - cool. No shame in that. But making comments to imply people are crazy for considering it? That is inconsiderate. Good for those who did what they needed to do to take care of themselves![/quote']

Well said. Many of the surgeons in Mx are members of the American College of Surgeons and ASMBS as well.

And many wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an all inclusive vaca to Cancun and PV. Areas centered around tourism... So it makes sense to treat their Medical Tourism the same...

Amanda Rae

There is no right or wrong answer here. One thing I am quite sure of though, is that no one here is making decisions lightly. This is a very important decision and whichever one you make is surely the right one based on your circumstances and financial situation. If you are lucky enough to have it covered by insurance, I high five you! For most of the rank and file whose policies have the exclusion, everyone has to make the tough decisions.

I am lucky to live in the Dallas area, lots of great Dr.s to choose from and not anywhere near the 20k that some folks have to shell out for this. So for me, I will stay local because it's the best decision for ME.

As for others who are traveling, you are not crazy for having it done elsewhere, you are making the decision that is best for YOU! You don't need to defend your decision. And quite frankly, I find some of the negative comments rather rude. We are here to support one another, not undermine one another. Can't we all just get along?

Our journeys don't always include the same path...just sayin.... :)

I think you taking this very personal. Is my opinion if you don't like it all you need to do is keep it moving. Your story is similar to my but you right no one need to explain nothing to no one here. We all here for the same reasons. If I think is crazy going to Mexico for the surgery is my opinion not yours. The reason why I say is crazy because Mexico is very dangerous right now with all the human trafficking and violence. I'm Hispanic and I see the news every day. Mexico's one of the highest country with crimes. Do you understand now why I said is crazy and sacry. I been scar for others. I know how it feel to have health issues. I have pcos and psidotumer celebri. Do you know how it feel to get more then one spinal tap because the doctors don't know what is going on in my body. All I know is that one day I was at the eyes doctor then in the emergency room. You tell me.

It's my opinion that you are wildly misinformed and hiding insults and condescension behind insincere concern.

I really couldn't care less what you think of me and my decision, as you have no idea who I am. You are certainly welcome to your opinion but it doesn't mean it's not a misinformed one. Not to mention your expression of it was distinctly insulting to people who've made the decision to go to Mexico.

~Kat

Good morning everyone...my phone beeped all night with notification emails from VST. I was a little disappointed to see some people were making personal attacks on others for their decisions. That was not the intention of this forum. The purpose of this was to hear other's opinions; and as said in the beginning, I welcome them all. My fears and feelings may have been originally made out of misinformation; however, at the time of the post that was the only information I had to go on. Thanks to the help of others there has been some clarity on the idea of drug cartel and mexican police...and it does make sense that these hospitals are more than likely in a more upscale and safer part of Mexico than I probably imagine in my head. With all that said...I think for the peace of mind for my babies and family support I will stay in the US. I really appreciate the information that was provided though and respect everyone's feelings and opinions. Happy weight loss!

Eh, I'm going to Tijuana in April and I'm not worried. I've done a fair amount of traveling and you just have to be smart about where you're going and who you're going to see, just like any town.

It's my opinion that you are wildly misinformed and hiding insults and condescension behind insincere concern.

I really couldn't care less what you think of me and my decision' date=' as you have no idea who I am. You are certainly welcome to your opinion but it doesn't mean it's not a misinformed one. Not to mention your exp<b></b>ression of it was distinctly insulting to people who've made the decision to go to Mexico.

~Kat[/quote']

So your opinion is not misinformed too? Just do yourself a favor and keep it moving. I didn't ask you for your opinion or for you to stop and reply to what I wrote. On less you have enough time for to handle me. If you was smart you would've just take what is good for you not stop to pick a fight. You chooses the wrong person to f**k with.

Everyone,

Please do not engage this individual in further discussion. Nothing will be accomplished and more discord will ensue.

Please let's continue the discussion around them.

I had my sleeve here in the US! It was 100% covered by my insurance. But let me start by saying, Mexico is one of my favorite places to vacation! Fear of Mexico, truly boils down to be uneducated about this country about it.

Yes, God knows many of the border towns are dangerous. However, you can't get much safer that the tourist- resort areas. How many people would travel to these areas if there were tourist constantly being abducted? Not many. The government of Mexico has a much higher police presence in the resort areas. That includes every one of the towns I have heard mentioned as a place with these sleeve centers.

The reason people take it personal when someone posts on here negative things about going to Mexico, is because everyone is invested in this decision. None of us woke up one morning and drove to the hospital to have this procedure without a lot of research, thought and emotion. Don't slam someone else's decision because you don't understand how they made it. If Mexico isn't an option for you - cool. No shame in that. But making comments to imply people are crazy for considering it? That is inconsiderate. Good for those who did what they needed to do to take care of themselves!

The reason why I think is crazy or Scary is becuase my friend die getting this surgery done in Mexico. By me saying this don't mean that people are crazy by going to Mexico and getting surgery done is more like I would be scar for them. Anyway everyone is in title of their own opinion. By the way yes you make a good point people are investing their time and money on this so why let someone like me affect theirs decision

The reason why I think is crazy or Scary is becuase my friend die getting this surgery done in Mexico. By me saying this don't mean that people are crazy by going to Mexico and getting surgery done is more like I would be scar for them. Anyway everyone is in title of their own opinion. By the way yes you make a good point people are investing their time and money on this so why let someone like me affect theirs decision

That's terrible to hear. Who was her doctor, what town did she go to? Was this due to negligence on the part of the doctor/hospital?

So your opinion is not misinformed too? Just do yourself a favor and keep it moving. I didn't ask you for your opinion or for you to stop and reply to what I wrote. On less you have enough time for to handle me. If you was smart you would've just take what is good for you not stop to pick a fight. You chooses the wrong person to f**k with.

As I see you are a new member, I will assume you have not yet had a chance to read our forum rules. Allow me to share the link with you:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Please familiarize yourself with them. Pay particular attention to rules number 2 and 5:

2. We take the "Be Polite" rule very seriously. We do not tolerate any rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.

5. Members will treat each other with courtesy and respect, especially when they disagree. We understand that bright, intelligent and educated people may not always agree, but personal attacks in the form of insults, abusive language or other means of obvious harassment will not be tolerated.

-
Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

-
If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Susan, VST Administrator

I am new to this forum thing but thank you so much susan for that post!!!

To the OP, wherever you choose to have surgery, I wish you much success. I think you have received some great advice here and hopefully have some ideas on where in the US you can research for having your surgery.

I had mine done in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves. I never once felt unsafe in any way. As mentioned by other posters, Medical Tourism would not be very popular if the patients were placed in dangerous situations. Additionally, you are never truly alone, as all of the surgeons have staff accompany you from the time you arrive at the San Diego airport until the time you depart from the airport. The care I received in Mexico was actually better than any care I have ever received in a US hospital. I was nervous going to, but once there, realized all of my fears were completely unfounded.

We look forward to hearing who you decide on and following your success here on our forums.