Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forever 21 - Amazing Post-Op Results

I haven't been on these forums in so long!!! A lot of life changes/busy schedule kept me away but I have to come back to share good news with all of the amazing online friends who have been there for me throughout this entire journey.

1.5 Year Post-Op Stats:

Highest Weight: Around 360

Current Weight: 190

Biggest Size: 34 / XXXL

Current Size: 12 / L

The topic title is "Forever21" because I've never been able to shop at that store for pretty and cheap-y clothes my entire life though desperately wanting to - and now it's become a staple of my college wardrobe.

I can't believe I'm under 200 lbs. I didn't think I would be so successful since I have PCOS. I haven't had any complications from the surgery, with the exception of hair loss (which seems to be recovering) and brief bouts of acid reflux (not significant enough to be a concern).

My life? Well, I'm doing things i never dared to dream about. Shopping, traveling, dating, exploring, and enjoying. I'm still not used to the positive male attention. Sometimes I freak about that I can "fit" into places and buckle plane seatbelts and stuff. Just enjoying life and living it the way I've always longed to. I am so grateful that I did this. I beg anyone who is hesitant or has fears of doing this surgery to come to me with questions, I will answer any.

But I must be completely honest and state that I do not, in any way, believe that the surgery is entirely or even mainly responsible for my success. It truly is just a "tool." I have put in a lot of hard work into getting the results I have. It takes a lot of serious time and dedication.

Funny mini-success:

-A guy I used to know asked me out, not realizing that he knew me back when I was over 300 lbs. He would not believe that it was actually me until I showed him my ID. Man, was he embarrassed!

You don't realize how truly overweight you were until you notice that new people you meet just accept you as "one of them" and not their one super morbidly obese friend. It's weird being part of the gym crowd. It's weird dating fitness enthusiasts and realizing they wouldn't have given the old me a second look. It's weird getting comments like "oh you wouldn't understand, you're not fat." Really, really weird. Making new friends and having them never know that I was (and on the inside, still feel like) super morbidly obese. I feel like I sometimes need to "come out of the closet" and confess this to them!

I still don't recognize myself in pictures/video, but in a good way. Sometimes I feel like the world/my reflection is trying to trick me into thinking that I'm average-sized, because I can't believe that I'm no longer so overweight.

I've been thinking seriously and I believe these are the most important steps to take in order to make the best use of this surgery and to hopefully get similar or better results than I have:

-Start a simple walking regimen at least two weeks before the surgery, and keep it up afterwards.

-Weight train. I'm serious. Don't put it in your "to do later" list. Start doing it now because the strength and muscle building will seriously burn fat and make your loose skin look SO much better.

-Take good Multivitamins.

-Don't ever get back on the cycle of eating sugary/fatty foods because it will be very hard to stop.

-DON'T cheat on your pre-op diet. Prove to yourself how serious you are about this.

-Avoid smoking/alcohol.

Some concerns/negatives:

-The Hair loss (somewhat resolved) now that my weight has stabilized. No weight gain so far.

-I no longer feel the same amount of restriction. I still can barely eat a fraction of what I used to, but now I can have a small salad, a meal of 4 oz Protein + side, and a tiny dessert. Basically, I can fit in the minimum amount that a healthy eater should be having. But it's no longer just 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese!

-It is still a little uncomfortable to have fizzy drinks.

I'm so happy with my life right now. I feel like people give me more respect and listen to what I say, which can actually be frustrating at times. People treat me immensely better, and although it feels good, I feel sad that it took all this weight loss for it to happen. I'm talking giving me free stuff, opening doors, going out of their way to do things for me. Why the hell am I getting special treatment? It still feels similar to unfair treatment I got from being obese, only now it is positive. I go out of my way now to treat everyone with equal respect and courtesy.

Update: I'm looking into getting surgery to remove a lot of the excess skin that I have. Thank you for all of the support in the past few years - I hope to have more great updates in the future!

It's soooo amazing to hear about your success! I had surgery on 1/28/13, and am also nervous about my PCOS getting in the way of my weight loss. Reading your story truly gave me something to look forward to.

Congrats!!!

Pictures would be super awesome! i bet you look amazing!

I haven't been on these forums in so long!!! A lot of life changes/busy schedule kept me away but I have to come back to share good news with all of the amazing online friends who have been there for me throughout this entire journey.

1.5 Year Post-Op Stats:

The topic title is "Forever21" because I've never been able to shop at that store for pretty and cheap-y clothes my entire life though desperately wanting to - and now it's become a staple of my college wardrobe.

I can't believe I'm under 200 lbs. I didn't think I would be so successful since I have PCOS. I haven't had any complications from the surgery, with the exception of hair loss (which seems to be recovering) and brief bouts of acid reflux (not significant enough to be a concern).

My life? Well, I'm doing things i never dared to dream about. Shopping, traveling, dating, exploring, and enjoying. I'm still not used to the positive male attention. Sometimes I freak about that I can "fit" into places and buckle plane seatbelts and stuff. Just enjoying life and living it the way I've always longed to. I am so grateful that I did this. I beg anyone who is hesitant or has fears of doing this surgery to come to me with questions, I will answer any.

But I must be completely honest and state that I do not, in any way, believe that the surgery is entirely or even mainly responsible for my success. It truly is just a "tool." I have put in a lot of hard work into getting the results I have. It takes a lot of serious time and dedication.

Funny mini-success:

-A guy I used to know asked me out, not realizing that he knew me back when I was over 300 lbs. He would not believe that it was actually me until I showed him my ID. Man, was he embarrassed!

You don't realize how truly overweight you were until you notice that new people you meet just accept you as "one of them" and not their one super morbidly obese friend. It's weird being part of the gym crowd. It's weird dating fitness enthusiasts and realizing they wouldn't have given the old me a second look. It's weird getting comments like "oh you wouldn't understand, you're not fat." Really, really weird. Making new friends and having them never know that I was (and on the inside, still feel like) super morbidly obese. I feel like I sometimes need to "come out of the closet" and confess this to them!

I still don't recognize myself in pictures/video, but in a good way. Sometimes I feel like the world/my reflection is trying to trick me into thinking that I'm average-sized, because I can't believe that I'm no longer so overweight.

I've been thinking seriously and I believe these are the most important steps to take in order to make the best use of this surgery and to hopefully get similar or better results than I have:

-Start a simple walking regimen at least two weeks before the surgery, and keep it up afterwards.

-Weight train. I'm serious. Don't put it in your "to do later" list. Start doing it now because the strength and muscle building will seriously burn fat and make your loose skin look SO much better.

-Take good Multivitamins.< /p>

-Don't ever get back on the cycle of eating sugary/fatty foods because it will be very hard to stop.

-DON'T cheat on your pre-op diet. Prove to yourself how serious you are about this.

-Avoid smoking/alcohol.

Some concerns/negatives:

-The Hair loss (somewhat resolved) now that my weight has stabilized. No weight gain so far.

-I no longer feel the same amount of restriction. I still can barely eat a fraction of what I used to, but now I can have a small salad, a meal of 4 oz Protein + side, and a tiny dessert. Basically, I can fit in the minimum amount that a healthy eater should be having. But it's no longer just 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese!

I'm so happy with my life right now. I feel like people give me more respect and listen to what I say, which can actually be frustrating at times. People treat me immensely better, and although it feels good, I feel sad that it took all this weight loss for it to happen. I'm talking giving me free stuff, opening doors, going out of their way to do things for me. Why the hell am I getting special treatment? It still feels similar to unfair treatment I got from being obese, only now it is positive. I go out of my way now to treat everyone with equal respect and courtesy.

Update: I'm looking into getting surgery to remove a lot of the excess skin that I have. Thank you for all of the support in the past few years - I hope to have more great updates in the future!

Madison,

Wow, you're post touched me. I'm so happy you were able to do this while you are still young. Your life is already completely different and will only get better.... only those of us who have lived through being obese can fathom how wonderful just being "normal" can be.

Congratulations!!

~Dana

You are so inspiring to me! I had my surgery on 1/28/13 and I can totally understand about the treatment received when being obese. I was 276 at my highest weight ever....today 12 days post op I am 237, I was 257 at the beginning of my new life. I really hope I can have somewhat of a change as you did.

So amazing! Thanks for some of the tips, I start my two week pre-op diet today and I'm also going to take your advice and begin a walking regimen. You're an inspiration!

I'm happy to hear about your success and becoming one of "them" - the skinny people :-P. Thanks for you post. It's good to hear about what it's like for long term WLS patients and how their lives have improved.

Yes, we could love to see some pictures please.thanks for the infor,very helpful.

Awesome job. Congrats on your success.

1.5 Year Post-Op Stats:

I can't believe I'm under 200 lbs. I didn't think I would be so successful since I have PCOS. I haven't had any complications from the surgery' date=' with the exception of hair loss (which seems to be recovering) and brief bouts of acid reflux (not significant enough to be a concern).

Funny mini-success:

-Take good multivitamins.

-Avoid smoking/alcohol.

Some concerns/negatives:

Update: I'm looking into getting surgery to remove a lot of the excess skin that I have. Thank you for all of the support in the past few years - I hope to have more great updates in the future![/quote']

You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your success!