Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleeved in Mexico now I have no after care.

I was sleeved in Mexico on 1/26 already down 30 pounds but I have no after care. My doctor didn't give me a a list of what I should or shouldn't be eating. I've been a little nervous but I think I've been pushing myself. I haven't been feeling bad though. Im on a last minute vacation for a couple days so i haven't been able to eat the Soups i already have at home. yesterday I had Soup from a Chinese place like egg drop but had corn and peas in it. I try to chew it up very well. Today I had some scrambled eggs with diced veggies and potatoes again I chewed it up very well. I haven't been sick except when I drink premade Protein Shakes. I also had a glass of wine yesterday. Am I hurting my sleeve? Help what should I do/ be eating?

do not drink any type of alcohol this soon!

Who was your surgeon?

I'm being sleeved on March 18th in Mexico, and aftercare back in the US is my greatest concern right now.

It is a bit early for any type of alcoholic beverages. I would check with my insurance company to see if you could meet with an in network nutritionist that specializes in WLS patients. I would then find a physician familiar with WLS to do the necessary F/U's and bloodwork. It's a shame that you weren't provided with after care.

More often these days some WLS surgeons will take mexico patients for f/u care. I was sleeved in Mexico as well a nd found a surgeon close to home to do my f/u care. I would try to find a doc/nut to help you. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...

Who was your surgeon?

I'm being sleeved on March 18th in Mexico' date=' and aftercare back in the US is my greatest concern right now.[/quote']

I was sleeved by the renovate center. Dr. Allensendrini they were very nice and the clinic was decent. But for only $4,400 you get what you pay for.

Who was your surgeon?

I'm being sleeved on March 18th in Mexico, and aftercare back in the US is my greatest concern right now.

I asked my primary care doctor, prior to making my final decision, about aftercare. He assured me he could and was happy to request any blood tests and basic post-op care I might need, based on the surgeon's recommendation. He also reached out to some collegues and found a practice that routinely treats and does follow up care for bariatric patients for which they did not perform the surgery. With his willingness to treat basic stuff and a practice I know I can go to regarding any bariatric specific care, I'm not concerned.

I would highly suggest you ask your surgeon about post-op diet and care, too. I'm pre-op but have heard lots of feedback from other members of the forum indicating that their surgeons happily responded to their questions and concerns, even to the point of making recommendations to US based primary care doctors on post-op testing.

I think aftercare is a component that we need to keep in mind, even when we are going to Mexico for the surgery. The surgery can't be the end all/be all; it's the first step in the process. From everything I've read and seen, long term success really hinges on post-op support.

~Kat

I'm a MX sleever and got sent home with a packet of care instructions including what stages at what times and detailed foods to eat at even a year out. Sample menues etc. Sorry to hear you didn't receive your f/u instructions.

I'd do what the above people said or contact your MX surgeon. I have never heard of any of them not staying in contact for further care. Check it out

I was sleeved in MX on 3/12/12 this is what I was given. Hope this helps and please treat your tiny tummy and do this so you don't have any serious issues. like a leak. Also I see my primary care for follow up here in the states. She just did my labs for me a few months ago.

This was my post op diet

Days 1-3 Clear liquids only

Days 4-7 Clear Liquids and drinkable yogurt

Days 8-21 Clear liquids and full liquids

Days 22-35 Clear liquids and soft foods. Liquids try to get in 48-64 oz

Clear liquids: broth, penitential, diluted apple juice, Protein Water, Popsicle

Full liquids: Protein shakes, creamy Soups no chunks, (I blended chunky soup)

Soft diet: oatmeal, toast, crackers, tuna, mashed potatoes, puree vegetables, cottage cheese, apple sauce.

Days 1-7

only clear liquids

fruit juice diluted 50/50 NO nectar's

Gatorade

Special K Protein water

Vitamin water

water

tea (herbal)

clear broth

Popsicle

Days 7-21

Day 4-8 begin with drinkable yogurt 1/2 cup servings, with no pieces of fruit.< /span>

Day 8-10 add liquid Protein to the regimen, at least 30 g of protein a day.

Day 7-11 add creamy soups (no chunks)

if you can't drink it don't eat it

Week 4 Begin with soft foods 22-28

Tuna

cottage cheese

oatmeal

apple sauce

Ensure pudding

puree veggies

mashed potatoes

Week 6: increase food as tolerates, chew thoroughly, eat slowly.

No carbonated drinks

Take small sops, don't chug. Use a tablespoon at first.

Drink only what you can. Do not force feed. Do not take more than half a cup at a time. Meds should be cut up or mashed. Take your Vitamins each day. The idea is to not expand the stomach pouch. During the fist week, you will Not be physically hungry (careful with the mental hunger)

If you feel lethargic, or very, weak, it's because you are dehydrated, call or email the nutritionist.

Important changes:

1. Never combine solids with liquids. Liquids should be taken one hour later after your meal. Suck on an ice cube if you are thirsty.
  2. No carbonated drinks. They can make your pouch stretch
  3. Avoid high calorie drinks, juices, frappuccinos, milkshakes, alcohol... or you won't be able to lose weight. Or you can easily "dump"
  4. Sit down for a meal and take at least 20 minutes for yourself. ( yes you will need 20 mins for 1/2 cup of food)
  5. Take small bites.
  6. CHEW!!!! 30 Chews per bite
  7. Avoid productive burping (P'bing) eating too fast and not chewing food properly, eating solid food too soon after the surgery, drinking liquids with the meals or right after eating, eating too much at a meal.
  8. If anything gets stuck, stop eating, wait for it to burp up and don't eat again. Resume your meal later.
  9. Eat three meals a day ( solids, no protein shakes)
  10. Each plate should have a serving of protein, green veggies, fruit and grain, and one serving of fat
  11. If you feel restricted in the morning, drink something warm prior top your Breakfast.
  12. If you do not exercise use a pedometer and take 10,000 steps a day.
  13. Resume with your exercise 3 weeks after your surgery.

Thanks for posting, deltadawn

I'm a MX sleever and got sent home with a packet of care instructions including what stages at what times and detailed foods to eat at even a year out. Sample menues etc. Sorry to hear you didn't receive your f/u instructions.

I'd do what the above people said or contact your MX surgeon. I have never heard of any of them not staying in contact for further care. Check it out

I agree.

In fact, my surgeon has another after care doctor that came to see me in the hotel after my hospital stay in Mexico. BOTH of those doctors provided me with emails and US phone number to contact them. I also left with medications and my diet.

About a week after I was back home, the doctor called me.

If anything....your US coordinator should be able to get that information for you.

Thanks for posting, deltadawn

I was shocked that NO One else posted something to help. Other than words of wisdom. Obviously the OP needs guide lines.

You should try and find a Dr in your area. A baratric surgeon of course,ask if they will accept patients who had their surgery done elsewhere,also definitely find a support group to attend,that's really a must. My surgeon will accept anyone but im in Tucson az

I was shocked that NO One else posted something to help. Other than words of wisdom. Obviously the OP needs guide lines.

Thanks deltadown!

I am getting sleeved on feb. 12 in the Dominican Rep. My doctor did not give me a pre-op doet and thanks to this forum I started one. I dont know if he will give me any info post-op, but thanks to you I am covered!

If you PM me your email I will send you my docs from Dr. Aceves.