Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obsessive, 'Rigid', Lazy and maintaining!

I see so many fellow 'sleevers' who are dedicated to exercise. If I were so inclined to be ashamed of myself, I would be!!! :)

Someone had a 'confessions' topic......for me, it's being lazy, that is it, there it is, out there for all of you to see. I just posted somewhere else that I KNEW how lazy I am, I KNOW I have the attention span of a four year old and I KNEW if I incorporated exercise into my weight loss during the 'honeymoon' phase, I'd get bored and quit and gain some of the weight back.

So, I had a 'Plan B' - and althought it might not work for everyone, so far, I've been successful. I knew that I'd have to make life syle changes.....I must make changes that I could live with forever, because Lord knows I cannot exercise forever, probably not for three months, not on a regular basis. I'm not that faithful.

I confess, I reached goal in just under five months and NONE of it was from exercise. But, nothing passed my lips that should not. Not one bite of anything sweet, nothing fried, basically no bread, rice or Pasta....I was crazy rigid!!!

I did and still do go up and down the stairs here in the house rather than avoid it as often as possible like I did prior to surgery, and I do park out in parking lots. That's the extent of my exercise program.

I weigh, measure and log my food religiously. It's part of my life, it's like a game. I weigh every morning, I want to keep on top of it......and I weigh again at night. In the evening in my mind, I guess what I'll weigh the next day. I told you.....obsessive!!! I love it, all these things remind me that I AM IN CONTROL, and I want to keep it that way!!

Some of my changes......I seldom ever have a chip. No more Hot Wings from Outback and no more fried calamarie unless someone else orders it and I can have two bites. Same goes for fried cheese sticks. There are things I did before, on a fairly regular basis, and now, only once in a blue moon, maybe. In my mind, NOTHING but carbonated drinks are off limits, but I CHOOSE not to eat certain things.

The big difference is, I have little or no hunger, so resisting temptation is much easier. Having 85% of my tummy removed is a big deal. We have forced Portion Control, it is not comfy if we eat too much. I still have a lot of restriction, I can eat a lot more than I use to, but I cannot eat much, never, ever more than a cup and that's if it's 'soft'.

I don't advocate not exercising, it's good for our hearts, weight loss......it's just good all the way around. For me, again I confess, I'm lazy, but am obsessive and rigid with what I eat. I'm aware of every single thing that goes into my mouth. I never feel deprived, I'd do this again in a New York minute!

How 'bout you, is there anyone else that will confess to being lazy!!???

I will admit that I am lazy always have been that why I was over weight in the first place. I always avoided stair or unnecessary walking. I would eat like a pig. Now I am the type that loves fried chicken it was my all time favorite food, I ate it atleast 3 to 4 times a week sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Doing that with no exercise or physical activity had me weighting 299lbs at my highest that was ridiculous. But now even though I am still a bite lazy i eat what I am suppose to and I DO make my lazy but get up and go to the gym at least 3 days a week. But bringing my mom and sister along with me really makes me go they are like my support team. Dont think I would go without them. But I do admit I am a lazy butt young lady.

Thank you for posting this. I am 1 month out tomorrow and I have not done anything as far as exercising either. I am easily worn out as it is all I can do just to work all day and get the majority of my Water and Protein in. I have never been into long term exercising ever.... But I know it will move stuff faster. But in my way of thinking I am doing this for the rest of my life and if I get my 30 minutes a day in then that is great... If not then it is not the end of the world

ME!!!! I have not started to work out yet! I know I shoud and I intend to some day. When I feeI ready and rested. I work too much and so on and so on. All the same excuses. I will not deprive myself either. I will only have one of something if it is not a "good food" or I will make a different choice. I have decided to eat like I am rich. I say that a lot on this site. I will only eat high quality food that is good for me. I can do that now because I can only eat small portions.

It took me twenty years or more to get to my highest weight and now I am down 49 lbs since I started this, and I have about 80 to go. If it takes me a year that is ok with me. If I get down to within 10 lbs of my goal I will increase my lifespan by many years. When I get there I am going to enjoy it AND I am going to enjoy the journey.

Good Luck everyone!

k

ME!!!! I have not started to work out yet! I know I shoud and I intend to some day. When I feeI ready and rested. I work too much and so on and so on. All the same excuses. I will not deprive myself either. I will only have one of something if it is not a "good food" or I will make a different choice. I have decided to eat like I am rich. I say that a lot on this site. I will only eat high quality food that is good for me. I can do that now because I can only eat small portions.

It took me twenty years or more to get to my highest weight and now I am down 49 lbs since I started this, and I have about 80 to go. If it takes me a year that is ok with me. If I get down to within 10 lbs of my goal I will increase my lifespan by many years. When I get there I am going to enjoy it AND I am going to enjoy the journey.

Good Luck everyone!

k

Everything KitKat said.......DITTO FOR ME!

Good Luck everyone!

k

K - Congrats on your weight loss!!! It's nice to see I'm not a lone. One thing to keep in mind, I should have stated what most of us heard early on. The first year post-op is the honeymoon period. It's the easiest during that time to lose the most weight, so make the most of it!!! You're right, it took all of us I suspect, to get to where we were when we chose to do something permanent about it. I know I had dieted for about thirty years. I'd lost 50 lbs two, maybe three occasions and I'd lost 20 or 30 lbs more times than I can remember. Of course we ALL KNOW what happens....we gain what we lost back and an additional five or ten lbs for good measure. It was a never ending cycle, my weight was constantly on my mind it seemed. Now days, food, my weight and amazement at what has changed, occupies a lot of my thoughts, but now it's fun. Like I said before, I feel like it's me that is control now, not the food. I knew it had gotten bad when I 'accepted' my weight and just struggled to MAINTAIN 225 lbs. Good luck to all of you, we're lucky, I wish we could shout it from the rooftops. There are so many people I see out and I'd like to tell them, 'there is a way out, there is hope' - but we just can't do that. Oh well. Have a great weekend!

I have membership at two gyms and never go. I just bought the Total Gym XLS (Chuck Norris infomercial) and have not even used it in the two weeks I have it. It really is a shame how lazy I am. I have lost 50 pounds since mid September although these last 6 weeks only lost 3 pounds. To read that you lost all the weight with out exercising is good to me. But....I think I should be moving a bit more and maybe that's why the stall these last weeks.

I too am as lazy as the day is long!! But, I forced myself to the gym after surgery and a funny thing happened... I discovered that I love the "high" I get during and after a good work out!! I still have to fight with myself some days to get there but I manipulate my brain by using the high as the reward. And I also know that I am way, way less anxious from working out, have more energy and sleep better. I know going to the gym is not for everyone but I am glad I forced myself and hope to continue but.... lol

Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm lazy.....I'm just over 6 months out and lost 110 lbs at my highest I was 347. I have exercised maybe 15 days and that was from Jan 1 -19, then we went on vacation and that was that. I too realize that working out everyday for 1-2 hours is something that I will lose interest in. I understand that is me. I also use the stairs, chase my 3 year old more than ever, walk the dogs instead of just letting them out in the yard, Park father out. Not really the dreaded "exercise" in my mind but healthier living, everyday life and I love it. I know this is not the norm and at my 6 month check my doctors asked me to "work at" getting my heart rate up for 30 minutes 3x a week, so I will try. My name's Melissa and I'm lazy...just no longer a couch potato :)

I have membership at two gyms and never go. I just bought the Total Gym XLS (Chuck Norris infomercial) and have not even used it in the two weeks I have it. It really is a shame how lazy I am. I have lost 50 pounds since mid September although these last 6 weeks only lost 3 pounds. To read that you lost all the weight with out exercising is good to me. But....I think I should be moving a bit more and maybe that's why the stall these last weeks.

This made me laugh Jayne!!! Back in 2001 I decided it was time to 'do something about it' yet again!!! I joined Curves, well, to get the special, which I think was about $27 per month, I had to sign a one year contract. I started out gung-ho. I went three times a week, faithfully for a month. After the first month, I went a couple of times (the second month). After that, I paid them $27 per month until the contract ran out!!! To this day, when we pass a Curves, my husband will ask me if we should stop by and give them a check!!! We laugh about it.....but I won't say I'll never join a gym again, but I will NEVER sign a contract!!!!

Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm lazy.....I'm just over 6 months out and lost 110 lbs at my highest I was 347. I have exercised maybe 15 days and that was from Jan 1 -19, then we went on vacation and that was that. I too realize that working out everyday for 1-2 hours is something that I will lose interest in. I understand that is me. I also use the stairs, chase my 3 year old more than ever, walk the dogs instead of just letting them out in the yard, Park father out. Not really the dreaded "exercise" in my mind but healthier living, everyday life and I love it. I know this is not the norm and at my 6 month check my doctors asked me to "work at" getting my heart rate up for 30 minutes 3x a week, so I will try. My name's Melissa and I'm lazy...just no longer a couch potato :)

This is me!!! I am NOT a couch potato. I've made 'life changes' that I can do from now on. The parking out, taking the stairs, and I'll even occasionally get on my DH's Air Dyne (sp?) stationary bike for five or ten minutes. I have also made changes in my eating and all of this works for me. I just knew, if I had surgery, joined a gym and worked my tail off to lose weight, it would come back, slowly but surely....just because the working out would grow old and I'd stop. I totally identify with what you posted! :D

This is me!!! I am NOT a couch potato. I've made 'life changes' that I can do from now on. The parking out, taking the stairs, and I'll even occasionally get on my DH's Air Dyne (sp?) stationary bike for five or ten minutes. I have also made changes in my eating and all of this works for me. I just knew, if I had surgery, joined a gym and worked my tail off to lose weight, it would come back, slowly but surely....just because the working out would grow old and I'd stop. I totally identify with what you posted! :D

Yep, this is me too. :(

Im 9 weeks out.. I dont go to the gym as of yet.. I have a 3 mo free membership from the hospital I work out.. also where I have my surgery.. I work 2 full time jobs.. both require a lot of walking.. one in a nursing home doing restorative therapy..and a tech at the hospital on the cardiac/cancer unit.. so im on the move a lot.. when im off work.. I do as little as possible lol. Im way tired from working so much.. I will go to the gym when Im ready.. but have had some pulling in my stomach where the port is and where the hernia was.. plus im getting major side aches.. went to the doc.. he said im doing too much over doing it.. thats why the pain.. if it persists for the rest of the week.. I have another appt on thurs. and he will scan me to see if I did some harm.. so im gonna hold off on the gym til after that.. but I will get there in my own time.. Ive never thought of myself as last.. just used to eat a lot is all.. I never had high blood pressure or diabetes or anything else.. but I too well get there when I get there.. im down 52lbs since the 20th of dec.. I dont thing im doing to badly...and my doc is very proud of me and my hubby..he has lost that much too.