Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

400-600 cals a day, 15 carbs, 60-80 protein....and about to start exercising. Dietician says keep diet this strict!

I'm 4 weeks postop. My surgeon has a really strict diet plan until you reach your goal. 400-600 calories a day, 15 carbs a day, 60-80 grams Protein. I ordered a Cybex Arc Trainer on ebay (if you haven't used one of these, you have to try!) I burn 700-800 calories an hour on this thing. It is my exercise of choice and I love it!! I asked my dietician that if I am burning 700-800 calories a day (and I could easily burn more within just a few weeks) if I should keep my calorie intake at 500-600 calories a day and on average I will be burning 800-1200 calories in exercise alone pretty soon. My exercise physiologist told me the same thing. Is this how it is for you guys? It doesn't make much sense to me?? I am afraid if I increase the calories a little if this will slow my weight loss down. I really want to get the most out of the "6 month honey moon phase!" Help please!!

What did ur nutritionist tell you? U said u asked

She said keep the calories at 400-600 no matter how much I am burning with exercise.

Being so early on (like me) maybe they just want u to focus on the eating part, getting portions under control etc.... If we start getting 800-1000 cals so early by the time we are 6 months out we could be at 2000 a day and then be in the same boat. I haven't really posted on these boards before but I've been reading them for months an I just think the best thing is to follow ur doctors advice. And if u are unsure or unclear then ask them more ?'s and their logic behind it. Just my opinion

I see that you are from Nashville. Who was your surgeon? I got my surgery in Nashville at Centennial Medical Center and used Dr. Houston. I live in Cookeville. My surgeon also wanted me at 400-600 calories and 15 grams carbs in the beginning. Now I am a little over a year out and am doing 900 calories and at least 50 gr carbs daily. I did that for 3 months and then upped my calories. I have hit a few stalls and that is normal. Good luck and message me if you want.

I'm almost 4 wks post op down 30 lbs. and met with my NUT yesterday and she has me in 800 to 1100 calories a day, plus 64 oz of Water per day - I walk 3 to 4 miles every day and is working out very well. I average about 800 to 900 calories per day. When I start jogging it may be a different story.

he math doesn't add up to me, if you are only taking in 400-600 calories a day, and burning 700-800. what are you left with to function. At that rate you will start using muscle to make up for the calorie and fat lost. I think you need to talk with some else, because that just doesn't seem to make alot of sense to me.

That seems like a super low intake to me, too. Wouldn't someone's metabolism go into starvation mode and slow down drastically at that point? But heck, I'm not a doctor, I'm sure they have a good rationale for that plan.

he math doesn't add up to me' date=' if you are only taking in 400-600 calories a day, and burning 700-800. what are you left with to function. At that rate you will start using muscle to make up for the calorie and fat lost. I think you need to talk with some else, because that just doesn't seem to make alot of sense to me.[/quote']

Agreed!! It will also drastically SLOW your weight loss ..... and slow down your metabolism in future. Every Dr/NUT has different logic but these low carb diets I don't understand .... what did we all learn from the Atkins diet?

That seems like a super low intake to me, too. Wouldn't someone's metabolism go into starvation mode and slow down drastically at that point? But heck, I'm not a doctor, I'm sure they have a good rationale for that plan.

Well I am a nurse.....lol Facing and I see no good rationale the NUT ...welll anyway. You are absolutely right Facing about the metabolism. i do hope see has sought another opinion because she be headed for trouble if she keeps that routine up with less caloric intake.

I don't know how they expect for you to fuel your workouts and daily life on just 15g of carbs a day. I agree with the other lady about the whole Atkins thing because it seems like some NUTS and surgeons put us back on Atkins. I had this good article about carbs and exercise after wls and it basically says that it's not good to exercise while eating low carb and that you need carbs. If my carbs are low I start feeling depressed and my anxiety goes through the roof!!! Not to mention my exercise always goes to crap on low carb. Plus just think about what this low carb diet is teaching your body in the long term. It's just another one of those diets that got us all to where we were before surgery. I'm not saying that you shouldn't listen to your NUT but IMO it seems like she put you on another diet and not something that you can do for the long term.

Here's the link to the article about wls+exercise+carbs http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/Weight-Loss-Surgery-Carbohydrate-and-Exercise.html

I'm 4 weeks postop. My surgeon has a really strict diet plan until you reach your goal. 400-600 calories a day, 15 carbs a day, 60-80 grams Protein. I ordered a Cybex Arc Trainer on ebay (if you haven't used one of these, you have to try!) I burn 700-800 calories an hour on this thing. It is my exercise of choice and I love it!! I asked my dietician that if I am burning 700-800 calories a day (and I could easily burn more within just a few weeks) if I should keep my calorie intake at 500-600 calories a day and on average I will be burning 800-1200 calories in exercise alone pretty soon. My exercise physiologist told me the same thing. Is this how it is for you guys? It doesn't make much sense to me?? I am afraid if I increase the calories a little if this will slow my weight loss down. I really want to get the most out of the "6 month honey moon phase!" Help please!!

When I was four weeks out, I did good to get in 500 calories a day. I did basically no exercise, but was very, very rigid in what I ate. I did not 'cheat', meaning, nothing sweet, fried, very little Pasta or rice or potatoes. When I say very little, I mean an eighth of a cup of Pasta or rice and maybe a TB of potatoes....and very seldom. I reached my doctor's goal in five months and my goal, five pounds less a month later. Towards the end of goal I never ate over 800 calories, but normally I'd eat 650, just simply because I couldn't eat any more!!! I maintain eating 1200 - 1250 a day. It's all pretty easy, but strict is good!! Oh, BTW, my physician and dietitian never focused on carbs. He said unless he has a patient that is not losing like they should, it's not an issue. Thank goodness, there is enough to watch with the calories and protein!!! :)

I see where some are concerned about the low caloric intake. I suffer from Migraines, and that was my biggest concern, but I never got a headache, at least not from lack of food. I felt good and my labs at 3, 6 and 12 and 24 months were always very good. I expect my 3 year labs in June to be good as well. The only thing I was low in was vit D, but we were living in Wisconsin.....I started taking D3 and that is fine now as well...of course we are back in TX, so I should be great! :)

I felt great, had more energy than I'd had in years. I think the KEY to losing and being successful is low caloric intake. That's just my humble opinion.

I'm almost 4 wks post op down 30 lbs. and met with my NUT yesterday and she has me in 800 to 1100 calories a day, plus 64 oz of Water per day - I walk 3 to 4 miles every day and is working out very well. I average about 800 to 900 calories per day. When I start jogging it may be a different story.

I've got to ask, at four weeks out I couldn't eat a fourth cup of food at a time. I wasn't even on a regular diet yet, that happened at week 6. How do you get in 800 - 900 calories a day? What are you eating? I'm just curious.