Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed --- Need the VST Gang Reality Check

Ok, so I'm a slow loser. Not a surprise. The doc and nutritionist told me that would be the case up front. ( various medical issues, medications). I've lost right about 20 lbs in almost 6 weeks. Deep down I was hoping for some sort of sleeve magic and I would lose more. But ok, so it panned out just like they said...

Superbowl Sunday comes around.... I had a Protein shake for Breakfast and we head out to my brother's house to watch the game with a few people. Jay, my husband, had barbecued ribs (his specialty and one of my favorites) and brought them with us.

This is what I ate or attempted to eat

*1 pork rib ( my first since surgery)

*2 or 3 few crackers with a little dip

*2 tablespoons artichoke casserole ( only able to take a few bites)

*1 piece of King Cake ( a traditional Mardi Gras thing -- we're in the middle of Mardi Gras here in New Orleans . It is something like say a cinnamon roll with icing).

I had another rib and a few spoons of artichoke casserole when we got home later that evening.

Well, guess what? Got on the scale 2 days later and I had gained 3lbs. WHAT??? My head tells me that scientifically that cannot be possible. Yes, I ate more calories than I normally would but it probably came out to about 1500 calories. Yes, I overate but I did not go crazy with it. Of course I know it takes 3500 calories over maintenance levels to add a pound. The scale today says I gained two pounds. So maybe the 1 lb was Fluid. Maybe it's all Fluid ( I'm doubting it because I am on a diuretic for blood pressure).

Anyway, just really down. Down about not losing more, down about gaining from a mild variation from 800 calories a day..... and now wondering if I'm just freaking doomed.

Doomsday Dana is gearing up.......

Oh and by the way, I'm open book-- it's just my personality. I've told all my friends and family about the surgery. Well, now I feel like I'm on display --everybody is checking me out to see if I've lost any weight. It's like, not only do I have to deal with my own disappointment at not losing more but now I feel embarrassed because I know everyone else is thinking, Damn - she can't even lose weight with 85% of her stomach cut out..... Of course, no one actually says that but I guarantee you that they're thinking something similar.

Hey...I'm right with you...going on 7 wks post op & down 20 lbs! I'm trying to look at it optimistically....they say if you loose slower your skin has time to adjust & doesn't sag as much...don't know if that's really true, but at this point I'll take anything positive! STAY off the scale so much..weigh like once every 2 wks! We're women & hormones make our bodies do weird things...so do not weigh everyday! As long as the scale is moving...its all good!

I kinda put it into perspective when I was whining one day to my hubby about my slow weight loss & he said "well, before the surgery would you have been happy losing an avg of 2-3 lbs every week?" heck yes I would! Soooo, what's different? Be happy!

Hell with the surgery I would be a happy losing 3 or even 2 pounds a week! It just doesn't always work out that way!

I've had moments of feeling like a failure at this. But we can't back out now !!

Patience it will come !

From what little research I've done, I would think the weight gain was mainly from Water. As your body converts your food to glycogen, it takes 4 oz of Water for every 1 oz of glycogen your body stores. And after WLS your restricted diet reduces your glycogen stores.

It sounds like you had a small carb fest and your body took the opportunity to easily convert the carbs to glycogen.

I had watched on Sleevers journey on Youtube and he correlated his weight loss directly to his Protein intake. On days of increased Protein and decreased carbs, he lost weight. On the high carb days, his weight loss was slower or non existent.

I always fluctuate anywhere from 2-5 lbs. if the scale tells me I weigh a few more pounds than the last time, I honestly just ignore it. I weigh my self same time every time, it just doesn't seem to matter. Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens and is normal. Good luck to you!!!

Dana i know exactly how you feel. I am also a slow loser. Today i am exactly 7 weeks out and have lost just 23pnds since surgery day. This past week is the only week thst surprised me with a 4 pnd loss and im sure its because i drank my BP pill which i havent drank in like 2 wks, it has a diuretic so thats probably the 4 pound. Im ok with losing as long as the rumor of no or little shaggy skin is true. So far i haven't really seen anyone confirm this.

Guys - reality check here...

I'm a guy, I started out at 260 and I'm 5'9" tall. Tomorrow will be my 6 week postoperative and I've lost about 26 pounds and I'm freakin' unbelievably HAPPY about it!!!

When was the last time I lost 26 pounds in 6 weeks? Uhhhh let's try, NEVER? Losing over 20 pounds in under a few months is crazy unbelieveable, and all you guys should be head over heels happy about this!!

It's really not physically possible to lose weight at a faster rate than this, unless you started out at 400 pounds or something like that.

You can go on the Internet and find out how many calories a day are required to maintain your starting weight. Then of course you subtract what u are eating to get your deficit. Multiply that by thirty days, divide by 3500, and you get a really rough estimate of how many pounds you can expect to lose. But don't forget, the lighter you get, the lower your maintenance calories become, and thus the slower the weight loss gets. It seems most people here can expect to lose 5 to 10 pounds a month after the first few months of more rapid loss. Hang in there!

When was the last time you weighed yourself prior to this weigh in? Perhaps you should just wait a few days and then weigh yourself again. Make sure you weigh yourself around the same time also.

Guys - reality check here...

I'm a guy' date=' I started out at 260 and I'm 5'9" tall. Tomorrow will be my 6 week postoperative and I've lost about 26 pounds and I'm freakin' unbelievably HAPPY about it!!!

When was the last time I lost 26 pounds in 6 weeks? Uhhhh let's try, NEVER? Losing over 20 pounds in under a few months is crazy unbelieveable, and all you guys should be head over heels happy about this!!

It's really not physically possible to lose weight at a faster rate than this, unless you started out at 400 pounds or something like that.

You can go on the Internet and find out how many calories a day are required to maintain your starting weight. Then of course you subtract what u are eating to get your deficit. Multiply that by thirty days, divide by 3500, and you get a really rough estimate of how many pounds you can expect to lose. But don't forget, the lighter you get, the lower your maintenance calories become, and thus the slower the weight loss gets. It seems most people here can expect to lose 5 to 10 pounds a month after the first few months of more rapid loss. Hang in there![/quote']

I don't think expected weight loss can be calculated quite that easily because there are stalls and metabolism/thyroid function is different for everyone. I would have to say calculating expected weight loss is non-deterministic, non-linear and has too many variables and unknowns. Quite simply it is not just calories in and calories out.

Ok' date=' so I'm a slow loser. Not a surprise. The doc and nutritionist told me that would be the case up front. ( various medical issues, medications). I've lost right about 20 lbs in almost 6 weeks. Deep down I was hoping for some sort of sleeve magic and I would lose more. But ok, so it panned out just like they said...

Superbowl Sunday comes around.... I had a Protein shake for Breakfast and we head out to my brother's house to watch the game with a few people. Jay, my husband, had barbecued ribs (his specialty and one of my favorites) and brought them with us.

*1 piece of King Cake ( a traditional Mardi Gras thing -- we're in the middle of Mardi Gras here in New Orleans . It is something like say a cinnamon roll with icing).

I had another rib and a few spoons of artichoke casserole when we got home later that evening.

Well, guess what? Got on the scale 2 days later and I had gained 3lbs. WHAT??? My head tells me that scientifically that cannot be possible. Yes, I ate more calories than I normally would but it probably came out to about 1500 calories. Yes, I overate but I did not go crazy with it. Of course I know it takes 3500 calories over maintenance levels to add a pound. The scale today says I gained two pounds. So maybe the 1 lb was Fluid. Maybe it's all Fluid ( I'm doubting it because I am on a diuretic for blood pressure).

Anyway, just really down. Down about not losing more, down about gaining from a mild variation from 800 calories a day..... and now wondering if I'm just freaking doomed.

Oh and by the way, I'm open book-- it's just my personality. I've told all my friends and family about the surgery. Well, now I feel like I'm on display --everybody is checking me out to see if I've lost any weight. It's like, not only do I have to deal with my own disappointment at not losing more but now I feel embarrassed because I know everyone else is thinking, Damn - she can't even lose weight with 85% of her stomach cut out..... Of course, no one actually says that but I guarantee you that they're thinking something similar.[/quote']

Are you close to your cycle? That has always added two extra pounds for me.

Ok' date=' so I'm a slow loser. Not a surprise. The doc and nutritionist told me that would be the case up front. ( various medical issues, medications). I've lost right about 20 lbs in almost 6 weeks. Deep down I was hoping for some sort of sleeve magic and I would lose more. But ok, so it panned out just like they said...

Oh and by the way, I'm open book-- it's just my personality. I've told all my friends and family about the surgery. Well, now I feel like I'm on display --everybody is checking me out to see if I've lost any weight. It's like, not only do I have to deal with my own disappointment at not losing more but now I feel embarrassed because I know everyone else is thinking, Damn - she can't even lose weight with 85% of her stomach cut out..... Of course, no one actually says that but I guarantee you that they're thinking something similar.[/quote']

I am right there with you. Mardi Gras and sleeves are enemies I swear! But I have heard a lot about people's weight going up and down. Just remember your weight fluctuates during the day due to changes happening inside your body. So I would just find a day of the week and make that your weighing day!

I haven't touched king cake yet-lucky for me I don't like it. I made gumbo Saturday, and ate the broth with a few bits of chicken. I get on the scale Sunday, and gained two pounds. Lost those by this am. I am six weeks out, and down 33 pounds.

Thanks for all the support....I knew getting a reality check from ya'll would help! :)

I do need to up my Water...this is so hard for me.... I'm averaging probably 36oz a day and that is with effort.....

Thanks for all the support....I knew getting a reality check from ya'll would help! :)

I do need to up my Water...this is so hard for me.... I'm averaging probably 36oz a day and that is with effort.....

Girl !! You know I'm going to call you out on the Water thing!!! That is the key! It sucks sometimes because I feel like I'm drinking all day.. like its a full time job! But when I keep it up I lose the weight.

Oh and I know about the display thing! My favorite is when they ask me everyday "how much weight have you lost now" of course they don't do it as much now because they value their lives!! :P