Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

bandiva-- I am a carb addict too! Just pick up where you left off and start over! I am hoping with a fill things will get better for us!

I miss my diet coke something fierce !

KAYDOT....yes, I am with you on the sore tummy thing!! I can't sleep all night on my tummy like I used to b/c it's still too painful.....but my chiropractor will be happy to hear that b/c he said that tummy sleeping is the worst thing for your back! So at least something good has come out of it, if not a good nights sleep ;-) LOL

I can't imagine how hard its been for you to go to all those parties!! I only had to go to one this season, and then a few Family Events, but even those were hard!! Glad to hear you're doing so well with it!! I often wonder how hard it is for an Alcoholic to go to parties like that when we think they're centered around food, I'm sure they think they're centered around alcohol...

Bandiva...I'm with you on the no restriction! Although I went out to a Japanese Steak House last night (the kind of place where they cook the food right in front of you), and ordered Fried Rice to go w/my Scallops and veggies...but found the rice not as easy to eat, so I gave almost all of it (and my noodles) to my teenage boy, who will eat anything and everything (and still has 8% body fat...ugh...I hate that kid sometimes! lol). But I agree w/you...I am really trying to NOT eat carbs (i.e. Bagels, bread, spaghetti, etc), b/c I know that I'm a carb addict to and it's a slippery slope once you start eating them! Luckily I'm due to get my first fill on Friday! I just hope I get SOME restriction! When are you getting your first fill?

Thanks Kirsten and Jill. That gives me some perspective. If I was addicted to carbs before the band, what makes me think I won't be after the band!! I am going to carry on with the renewed knowledge that I am addicted to carbs, and eat accordingly. Thank you.

This is the beginning of a new week, time for new progress. I think we are all going to learn so much through this journey. Thanks for helping me see what was staring me in the face, and maybe I was choosing to ignore. (?)

KAYDOT....yes, I am with you on the sore tummy thing!! I can't sleep all night on my tummy like I used to b/c it's still too painful.....but my chiropractor will be happy to hear that b/c he said that tummy sleeping is the worst thing for your back! So at least something good has come out of it, if not a good nights sleep ;-) LOL

I can't imagine how hard its been for you to go to all those parties!! I only had to go to one this season, and then a few Family Events, but even those were hard!! Glad to hear you're doing so well with it!! I often wonder how hard it is for an Alcoholic to go to parties like that when we think they're centered around food, I'm sure they think they're centered around alcohol...

Funny to say that as my DH is a recovering alcoholic and has been sober for 6 years :clap2: . Wonderful guy. Anyway, on Christmas Eve I was feeling really down about the not eating thing, and he said "it is just like not drinking for me at first, it sucks, but you get over it." He said it so simply and it kind of hit me in the head...duh, of course. He has done this amazing thing and never looked back, never complained to me how hard it was, still goes to events, parties etc where people are drinking up a storm and sips his diet pepsi's, get in ont he fun, makes jokes-in essence "parties" and never touches a drink, and here I am whining about not being able to eat some roast beef. It was a good perspective for me, and I appreciate that you somehow reminded me of that. It honestly helps.

Hey, do yall keep a food journal? I was supposed to, but haven't been doing it until yesterday. It helps me track my caloric intake, Water intake and exercise. I have been averaging between 500 and 600 calories per day, with the exception of yesterday (1000) and the day before (1500 or so - that was my pie faux pas). I wanted to hit 255 by the 14th, but I'm not going to make it unless I really push it.

I was right - each one of the whips (chicken or salmon, cottage/cream/ricotta cheese and seasonings) is about 200 calories and 25g Protein. It's also about 3/4 cup, so I can't eat it all at one sitting.

By the way, I bought Worldwide Pure Protein shakes at GNC. they come in a can. 35g Protein, 160 calories, 3g carbs. It was absolutely gross. It was chalky at the bottom, and I shook it really well. So far my favorite drinks are the Isopure Protein Drinks. 160 calories, 40g protein. $3.75 at GNC, cheaper via Internet mail order.

Bandiva, work it out girl! I agree, we are going to learn so much about ourselves thanks to the band - eating habits, psychological hangups, interpersonal relationships and other areas of our lives as well. I hope we each find empowerment in our choices and our responses to the world.

Nat

Kay, I really appreciated your post about your husband--that is wonderful that he is doing so well. I have finally realized that I was and may still be addicted to some foods, but your husband is right. "It sucks but you get over it. " You should put that on your signature page.

Natalie, I keep a journal too but I don't count calories. My doc has us count carbs, but it all works out the same anyway. I'm having trouble getting my A** on the the eliptical and at 6 weeks, I'm supposed to be at 45 to 60 minutes per day of exercise, some of that being weight resistance! OMG!

How much Protein grams per day are you all supposed to consume? Just curious---mine is 65 gms/day.

Gerbera--I'm glad you liked the sites. I have printed out several of the recipes so I can completely change my cooking habits. My husband has lost five pounds because of my recent changeand these new recipes have helped alot. Cooking Light magazine has some great ones too.

Siyah--have you noticed that since your surgery you are cold more often? I have noticed this alot lately, however, I'm in Denver, Colorado and we've have four feet of snow in December. It's still laying out there on my lawn and we're expecting more this Friday.

I have some great recipes for Protein shakes if anyone wants them. Let me know and I'll post them.

Hey all y'all December folks...

I see a lot of posts about the different protien shakes/drinks. As you may have seen on another thread where I posted when I first found LBT, I am absolutely sold on one particular brand and would definetly recommend anybody try it.

It's the EAS AdvantEDGE carb control shake. You can get them at Walmart and most other grocers. Best of all they are less that $5.00 for 4 shakes.

It has: 17 grams of protien

100 calories

2 grams carb (one of those is fiber)

My favorite is the French vanilla...I add a 6 ounce container of WalMarts Light Peach nonfat yogurt and shake it till blended. This boosts the protien up to 23 grams, calories to 180 grams, and carbs to 15 grams. Plus, these shakes are loaded with Vitamins. I try to get at LEAST one of these a day. Sometimes 2 if I don't get much protien from other sources. Somebody let me know if you try it and like it. Oh, and they have a chocolate flavor also...haven't tried it yet I like the other so much...

Good Day to everybody!

How much Protein grams per day are you all supposed to consume? Just curious---mine is 65 gms/day.

For full liquids and mushies, I was told to aim for between 40-60 and then when you get to solids - you MUST reach 60.

I haven't been having too much of a problem, as I put unflavored Protein power (Unjury) in everything!!!!! :)

Office Rocker: I would love to hear your Protein shake recipes!!!! Thanks!

:hug:

Hugs,

Jess

You got it, Jess:

Here's a few:

Peanut Butter Cup Protein shake Recipe:

*2 scoops chocolate Protein powder (or vanilla Protein Powder + 1tsp cocoa powder

*1 TBS natural Peanut Butter (smooth or chunky)

*8 oz of Water (or low-fat milk)

*3-5 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender; whip and serve.

Calories 95; Carbs 3g; Protein 4g (depending on protein power or if you use milk); Fiber 1g

Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake Recipe

2 scoops vanilla protein powder

1TBSP sugar-free instant vanilla pudding

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp imitation vanilla (or 1/4 tsp extract)

1 packet of Splenda

1 few dashes of butter flavor sprinkles or butter-flavor extract

8 oz. of Water (or low-fat milk)

3-5 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender, whip and serve

Calories 25; Carbs 5g; Protein (depends on the powder used and if use milk or water)

I have some more but I can't find them right now. I'll keep looking.

P.S. These are recipes I found on various websites---I do not claim to be the creator!!

kaydot - i also hear ya on the tummy sleeping. I was able to do it for the first time ast night. If you are a tummy sleeper like me, placing a pillow under your top leg while laying on your side is almost like sleeping on the tummy - I know not exactly but as close as you can get for now. I am only banded 9 days and I wa able to sleep on my tummy - which is strange because I still have some pain. But at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone have a drawing pain in their belly button - like a tugging or pulling? feels kinda weird.

NGAdams - dont keep a food journal - but I really should. Im just neve sure how to figure the calories on things that dont have a specific calorie count. could be why I got fat in the first place. lack of knowledge. any suggestions on how to figure the calorie counts would be greatly appreciated.

stay well everybody!!

hi everyone! Well the kids are gone - whew! Maybe life will get back to normal now. For those of you who don't know - when I say kids I'm talking college age kids. Its been busy this weekend, I didn't realize I haven't been on since like Thursday!

I think I'm doing ok - seems the scale is stuck but I hope to get my fill in a week and then maybe things will start moving again - downward. I'm really trying to eat 1/2 cup, no Water for an hour after... all that jazz. But I feel like I eat more this way then when I was eating a cup at a time. I ate salad at lunch today - very little of the lettuce - I hope its ok. They said stay away from lettuce since it tends to ball up in side but I chewed very well and I feel ok now so we'll see.

Kay - I was checking out the list - I put Shanksville - thats where I'm from but I had my surgery in Windber, PA. Just thought I'd tell ya, I guess it was my mistake.

Just curious, has anyone tried Mederma and does it work? My surgeon didn't seem to have a preference, and didn't think it did much. I'm a total white girl so any help I can get is GOOD! Also, we don't see much sun here in the Seattle area this time of year... :)

Annie - what is melderma? Does it make you tan or something?

Protein shakes suck. I haven't had one in 2 weeks! I don't care how you try to make them, after 4 weeks of drinking them I can't even think about them anymore. I think I said before that at my last visit the dr said as long as I'm eating mushies/soft foods ok I shouldn't need to drink them - they go right through the band so I was like - ok. sure. you betcha! I also can't stand Vitamins so had to resort to the flintstone gummies - I know I'm a big baby - my hubby cant believe that vit. C chewables gag me but they do!

Ok - off to walk.