Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does recovery compare to c-section?

I know that everyone will react to surgery and have different recoveries, but for those who had csections and have had VSG, how did recovery compare (in terms of pain and such, obviously I know eating will be different!)? I had a fairly easy recovery from my csection despite being on bed rest 4 weeks prior to delivery and developing preeclampsia which caused major swelling. I'm hoping that recovery from this will be just as "easy"!

I had my c-section 20 years ago and I had my VSG 2 weeks ago. I think the pain during recovery is similar. My c-section wasn't bad. The incision was sore, of course, but not really bad and I bounced back pretty quick. The VSG was similar. The incisions were sore (still are a little, but not bad at all) but I didn't need pain meds after the second day. The fact that I couldn't drink or eat much was different.. that part is hard to get used to but, as far as the pain, it is similar I think.

I havent had my sleeve yet (surgery in 20 days) but I've had 3 C-sections and bounced back super quick. Within 2 days it was like nothing ever happened. A lot of people have told me if i recovered quick with those then VSG should be a breeze. I'll let you know after my surgery if you still havent got yours :))

Honestly, I thought VSG caused more discomfort than my c-sec. I also bounced back from my c-sec fast, needed no pain meds and can only recall a little soreness when I was up on my feet for too long. With VSG, I needed pain meds until 5 days after surgery. Pain wasn't excrutiating, but uncomfortable enough that Percoset made me feel a lot better. I was also 8 years younger when I had my son, so maybe that's the difference.

-Kendra

I had 2 C sections and my revision surgery was almost like not even having surgery. I was up walking immediately. The next day, I was walking all over the hospital,nd outside.

Trying to get up after a C section was A LOT more painful.

I had a very easy c-section recovery. My daughter was premature so I was up and around going back and forth between home and the NICU 2 days after she was born. I think that helped me recover more quickly. No pain meds needed once I was home, no complications, etc.

My VSG was also an easy recovery. No pain meds once I was home and I was working 3 days later.

In terms of pain, I will say the c-section was worse. But my recovery with the VSG was less pleasant due to being thirsty and the dry heaving, etc. I didn't have that with my section.

I think the sleeve is a quicker recovery and less pain. I recovered from both in a few days...

In my opinion the c-section was far worse than the sleeve. I didn't take pain meds for the c-section after 4 days and I stopped pain meds for the sleeve 36 hours after surgery. It's still sore, but nowhere near what I was with the c-section.

For me the c-section was much easier than the sleeve. Yes, I was up walking the same day, but the pain and fatigue was worse. That being said the pain doesn't last forever.

My c/s was WAY worse than vsg. I was surprised vsg recovery was such a breeze...