Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

still struggling to get in protein after 3 mths

Unfortunately your Vitamins are no substitution for Protein which is necessary for healing and to provide enough amino acids so that while you are losing weight, you are not losing too much lean muscle tissue when you want to be losing primarily fat. Some Protein Bars have a fair amount of whey isolate protein (15-25 grams) so one of those plus a Protein Shake should get you to at least 50 grams, and then any other protein you eat will add to that. Hitting 90 will be hard...but if you can at least get over 60 grams you should be ok until you can tolerate more solid protein down the line.

Unfortunatly, if I did that, it would take four "meals" to do so. I can only eat/drink of a Protein Bar or shake at once. :( So, I have been doing one or the other at least once per day. That's the best I can do without only doing shakes.< /p>

sleeve sister....You will get there my dear. Have faith. Most of us who have gone through this experience know this. If you have one Protein Shake with at least 25 grams of Protein in the morning, and later in the afternoon or evening have say a Pure Protein bar with 25 grams there is your 50. Whatever protein you have at lunch or dinner adds to your total as well as any milk or dairy products you might consume. As far as your hydration is concerned, start your day with a large cup of Decaf coffee or tea if you like it, then later the shake, then later on the Water, crystal light, etc. and everyday should be a little easier.

Thanks for the greek yogurt idea! I haven't tried it with the pudding mix yet, BUT I mixed it with italian blend part skim shredded cheese and thyme as a substitute for sour cream....it was awesome!!!! It tasted JUST like Olive Gardens Smoked Mozzarella Fonduta! AND, it was loaded with protein! I posted the recipe in "Recipe Sharing" if anyone is interested!

Sounds like it will be yummy!

My wife and I tried a butter finger shake today after my hour run. The idea came from another member on this forum. It has 1 scoop nectar chocolate truffle, 8 oz non fat milk and SF butterscotch pudding. We calculated the serving to have about 250-275 calories. Too many calories for every day, but a good treat for perhaps once a week. Delightful!

OP I'm scared for you :( You said that you only drink about 8-12 oz of Fluid a day and get in less than 30g of Protein per day, that's definitely not good. This girl that I knew who was sleeved the day before me struggled to eat and about 3 months after surgery they finally diagnosed her as having a stricture and that's why she could hardly eat and drink. If you find it hard meeting your goals then you should talk to your surgeon, maybe they need to scope you to see if you possibly have a stricture. You also mentioned that you dealt with dehydration, kidney stones, etc. and a lot of that is linked to not drinking enough fluids. I don't understand how you're not dehydrated right now. My husband is also gone for weeks, months, and a year at a time (Army). It's extremely important for you to take care of yourself and your health, what you're going through is far from healthy and I hope that you will consult with your nutritionist and surgeon.

I was sleeved a couple of days before you and I drink 1 Protein shake a day and sometimes 2. I aim for 80+ grams a day. I don't know how you've managed to go this long on so few calories.

Minkywinks...I am going to Urgent Care in the morning. I am super dehydrated and I think I'm getting sick again too. In addition to being home with the kids...I had my surgery in FL, but live in TX, my surgeon that did my surgery left the practice last month, AND, I just last week was "accepted" by a pcp (been trying to get one for 4 months now) and my appointment is July 31st! (healthcare SUCKS here) So, I'm going to see what urgent care can do. Maybe they can refer me sooner. But, I did get scoped at 3 wks post op when I was hospitalized. They said my sleeve was very narrow due to. They put me on prilosec 40mg twice a day and now I'm just on it once a day. The closest bariatric surgeon near me is 3 1/2 hrs away so I just ended up following up with the surgeon that did my surgery last month when I was in FL before he left. He asked me how much Protein and I didn't know exactly so I just showed him about how much I was eating and he told me he thought I was getting enough. I didn't realize I wasn't getting enough protein until I started logging it in MFP. But, the dehydration thing...yeah I've known that of course. Anyway, I'm blabbing. Thanks for your concern! I'm going to go get checked out in the AM once I get my kids to school.

Add your Protein Powder to the Greek yoghurt to up the Protein level. When your first add it the mixture turns really thick but keep stirring and it thins out. I use this if I feel my protein levels are low.

Sleeve sister-let us know how it goes. That sucks that they tried to schedule your appt months away. I wish you the best at urgent care.

I have bronchitis. :( My labs were good. My B12 was super high which I don't understand, but it is what it is. She recommended I wait 6 weeks to give myself the shot rather than 4. I have been downing Gatorade since I started getting sick, my UA was a little dark but I wasn't too dehydrated.

I was told 60-80g for women. 90 is excessive for a woman and is usually what they recommend that men get! I try to shoot for 70 most days myself.

I agree on shooting for the 60 grams of Protein right now.

My biggest concern is the Fluid intake. That's good that you are drinking now that you are sick, but you NEED to drink at least 64 oz a day.

If you keep drinking the tiny amounts you are drinking everyday you will end up in the hospital again and again which would be even worse for your Children! Especially with your husband away a lot.

I know that drinking is a full time job now .

And drinking and spacing out meals is tough.

But it's what we signed up for going into this...

Good luck to you and take care :)

[Edit] oh and instead of real sweet tea, try "mio"

Sweet tea flavor it's pretty good and definitely helps me.

Hi me again! :) I also saw that one poster

(not you) put "extra" Protein in the form of an unflavored powder protein into a shake to make a super shake. Your body can only utilize about 30 grams of protein at a time. So it is important to break up the protein throughout the day...

I know it's hard.

It's hard for me too!

Definitely keep drinking fluids and monitor your pee and make sure that it's light yellow and not orange or darker. I used to slack with fluids but now I look in the toilet to make sure that it's light yellow. I also got a water bottle that holds 28 oz of Fluid and I make sure to drink at least 2 of those before 8pm and during the night I put a glass of Water near my bed and sip on it every time I wake up. I get in about 80oz of water a day. Bronchitis sucks and hopefully once it's gone you will be able to drink and eat more.

oh and instead of real sweet tea, try "mio"

Sweet tea flavor it's pretty good and definitely helps me.

I love my MIO sweet too Laura! It's the BOMB!! :D